10-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer or 14 day Eastbound Panama Canal

Chelly

HAL's 10-day Panama Canal Sunfarer OR HAL's 14-day Eastbound Panama Canal?

My understanding is the 10-day cruise is a partial transit, visiting Gatun Lake. And, the 14-day is a full transit. I'm wondering if the 10-day would be considered a disappointment compared to the full transit.

Input appreciated!!!!

Disappointment would be a strong word, but some people might say that. If you can do the 14 day, do it, and I would highly recommend it. If all you can do is the 10 day, you will enjoy it, and quite possibly get a serious interest in doing a full transit.

If you do the 10-day you see the Gatun Locks twice and Gatun Lake. You don't see the Gaillard/Culebra cut, the Centennial Bridge, the Pedro Miguel lock, the Miraflores Locks, or the Bridge of the Americas. IMO, the 10-day misses about 60% of what there is to see. Your choice! :)

If you do the 10-day you see the Gatun Locks twice and Gatun Lake. You don't see the Gaillard/Culebra cut, the Centennial Bridge, the Pedro Miguel lock, the Miraflores Locks, or the Bridge of the Americas. IMO, the 10-day misses about 60% of what there is to see. Your choice! :)

On the other hand, jtl513, on the complete transit you ONLY see the Canal and nothing else that Panama has to offer. On the 10-day ZUIDERDAM you see the Gatun Locks, and Gatun lake and then have the opportunity to take a Canal Experience excursion that sees the rest of the Canal, if that is your primary interest. For some folks . . . "you've seen one lock, you've seen them all." For those who don't want to just see the Canal there is the Embera Indian Village trip, wildlife tours to see monkeys and other stuff in Gatun Lake that you're not going to see from the deck of a ship, trips to the old French Canal era part of Panama City, and more.

You are right

Your choice! :)

I have a page about Panama Cruises on my blog that goes into more detail.

Regards, Richard

Very hard decision.

We have done full transits several times -- they are great but you don't have the chance to do any excursions as there are no Panama stops.

We have done the partial a couple of times from the Caribbean side where you do enter and leave by the Gatun Locks -- and did some great tours.

We have also done the partials from the Pacific side where you do overnight at Gatun lake and a couple of times tours were once again offered. We were disappointed the last time we did this cruise and no tours were offered once we anchored at Gatun Lake.

There is another option. HAL and Princess normally run a partial PC cruise from the Pacific side about once a season. The partial transit goes through about 95% of the canal and then returns after spending a night anchored in Gatun Lake. HAL does this out of San Diego and it normally is a two and a half week cruise. We have done this three times and have always enjoyed it.

HAL's 10-day Panama Canal Sunfarer OR HAL's 14-day Eastbound Panama Canal?

My understanding is the 10-day cruise is a partial transit, visiting Gatun Lake. And, the 14-day is a full transit. I'm wondering if the 10-day would be considered a disappointment compared to the full transit.

Input appreciated!!!!

Chelly - this article was on the front page of the CC Newsletter that I received today. Interesting comparative info on PC cruises. :):) http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=187

Archived