I Need Just 10grams of Soil From Antarctica

CoolBlue

To anyone that can help:

An unusual request. For those of you that may have visited the Antarctic via McMurdo, Halley, by cruise ship or otherwise or perhaps know someone that has done so: I am in need of 10 grams of Antarctic surface soil or sand from that region for a geological/weather study. That's about one tablespoon full. I am searching for someone that has visited this area and just happened to bring home a souvenir of some soil. If you know the date and location of where the sample was collected (this is critical) and have a little bit to spare, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

To anyone that can help:

An unusual request. For those of you that may have visited the Antarctic via McMurdo, Halley, by cruise ship or otherwise or perhaps know someone that has done so: I am in need of 10 grams of Antarctic surface soil or sand from that region for a geological/weather study. That's about one tablespoon full. I am searching for someone that has visited this area and just happened to bring home a souvenir of some soil. If you know the date and location of where the sample was collected (this is critical) and have a little bit to spare, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You are not allowed to take anything from Antarctica (as a tourist).

To anyone that can help:

If this is for legitimate research, surely one of the Antarctic bases would be a better source of properly identified and sourced material.

I agree entirely with parischris. There are a couple of dozen research bases from many countries in the Antarctic. They are easy to identify online. If a legitimate researcher needs a sample and further needs proper controls regarding the source and time of the sample, one would assume that working with one or more of the established research stations would be the appropriate and sound method of obtaining such a sample, from an academic standpoint. Getting a sample from a tourist is hardly sound research methodology.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been to Antarctica twice in the last 3 years, you can't take ANYTHING, not even penguin feathers or guano (poop) from the continent....... except photographs! Yes, the fluke in my avitar was taken on one of my trips!

Parischris -- just looked at your photos and info. I was on the Minerva in Feb '08!

Archived