Speciality Restaurants

malcliz

We have read lots of good comments on these boards about the speciality restaurants on Azamara and my question is about booking tables for these restaurants. I have emailed Azamara and they said that because we are not Captains Club members we cannot book tables in advance but can do so once on board. I understand we are guaranteed two bookings each. My question is about these two bookings. We are a party of 5 with 3 staterooms. Does that mean each person can have two bookings? Or is it each stateroom? Also if one of our party books a table, can we eat with them additionally and still have our own 2 bookings? This is what it says on the Azamara website which is not very clear "Guests who have booked a stateroom will receive two nights of complimentary specialty dining, and guests staying in a suite will receive three nights of complimentary specialty dining. Additional complimentary reservations will be accommodated on a space-available basis".

Have you sailed with RCCL or celebrity before, if you have contact the captains club and they will help you. (RCCL crown and anchor gets you automatic Captains Club membership).

However if not, don't worry, go see the Maitr'D as soon as you board (Try and get in on the 1st night)

you will be able to book as many nights as you want to, some passengers ate in the Speciality Restaurants every night. We found that as we prefer to eat later we could easily be accomodated.

There is also the back of the ship which at night transforms into a sushi staion and salad bar as well as a pasta and stir fry restaurant where pasta and fresh stir fry is cooked to order, a really nice place ti dine under the stars.

You will have a great time the service and the staff on these ships are first class.

Enjoy yor cruise.

We have read lots of good comments on these boards about the speciality restaurants on Azamara and my question is about booking tables for these restaurants. I have emailed Azamara and they said that because we are not Captains Club members we cannot book tables in advance but can do so once on board. I understand we are guaranteed two bookings each. My question is about these two bookings. We are a party of 5 with 3 staterooms. Does that mean each person can have two bookings? Or is it each stateroom? Also if one of our party books a table, can we eat with them additionally and still have our own 2 bookings? This is what it says on the Azamara website which is not very clear "Guests who have booked a stateroom will receive two nights of complimentary specialty dining, and guests staying in a suite will receive three nights of complimentary specialty dining. Additional complimentary reservations will be accommodated on a space-available basis".

Hi Malcliz !

Here is the information from Azamara's website. If you need further information, I would suggest calling Captains Club, at 1-800-760-0654

Guests who have booked a stateroom will receive two nights of complimentary specialty dining, and guests staying in a suite will receive three nights of complimentary specialty dining. Additional complimentary reservations will be accommodated on a space-available basis. Please note that all guests that dine in either specialty restaurant will be charged a recommended gratuity of $5 per guest per night.

Hi malcliz,

Just back from Azamara Quest and wanted to throw my two cents in. I think Azamara's wording of "complimentary dining" is confusing because each time you dine, there's a suggested gratuity. In reality, I think what it means is that on the first day of your cruise, you can make two specialty dinner reservations for any day of the cruise (three if you're in a suite). If you care to eat in Prime C or Aqualina additional times, you can see if there are openings later in the cruise.

But there's no guarantee you will get to dine in either restaurant if you don't make a reservation early. A friend on our 16-night cruise almost didn't get a chance to eat in Prime C because he called too late and all the slots were taken. We ended up adding him to our reservation.

And I definitely want to plug the Windows Cafe buffet restaurant. I found it a cut above typical cruise ship buffet dining and a real godsend on long days in port when I just couldn't bear a formal, sit-down meal. The made-to-order stir fry is fantastic!

hi malcliz,

just back from azamara quest and wanted to throw my two cents in. I think azamara's wording of "complimentary dining" is confusing because each time you dine, there's a suggested gratuity. In reality, i think what it means is that on the first day of your cruise, you can make two specialty dinner reservations for any day of the cruise (three if you're in a suite). If you care to eat in prime c or aqualina additional times, you can see if there are openings later in the cruise.

But there's no guarantee you will get to dine in either restaurant if you don't make a reservation early. A friend on our 16-night cruise almost didn't get a chance to eat in prime c because he called too late and all the slots were taken. We ended up adding him to our reservation.

And i definitely want to plug the windows cafe buffet restaurant. I found it a cut above typical cruise ship buffet dining and a real godsend on long days in port when i just couldn't bear a formal, sit-down meal. The made-to-order stir fry is fantastic!

erica - if you had to choose only one specialty restaurant, which one would you choose?? Also, we've noticed that many cruise ships keep the public areas very chilly....how did you find the temperature of the ship? Thanks in advance for your input.

Does all this refer to the times when Azamara charged for altenative dining,30$ i think :confused::):)

Hi Gosport !

Azamara charged a higher fee for the Specialty Restuarants in her early days. What I wrote above is currently accurate.

if you had to choose only one specialty restaurant, which one would you choose?? Also, we've noticed that many cruise ships keep the public areas very chilly....how did you find the temperature of the ship? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi Crimsonbird !

My opinion is, there is no real reason to pick 1 venue, as you are entitled to Dine at 2 Specialty Restaurants. Why not try Aqualina and Prime C, as they are both excellent.

At any rate, if I had to pick 1, I'd pick Prime C, especially if you enjoy beef dishes. We thought the Steaks were some of the best we ever had on a Cruise. If you are not much of a beef eater, Aqualina may be the better choice.

As for temperature in the public areas, I thought it was very comfortable, yet my Mom was often cold. Therefore, I recommend that you take a light jacket with you, just in case it's chilly.

I hope this helps !

I agree with Host Andy entirely.

It's definitely worth trying both specialty restaurants and perhaps trying for a repeat visit to whichever you like best. That said, I preferred Prime C to Aqualina -- and I'm essentially a pesca-vegetarian. I had the salmon one night and a specially made vegetarian meal the second in Prime C and both were fantastic. Their soups are out of this world, and the best dessert is ordering the mini-donuts AND the chocolate fondue, and dipping the donuts in the fondue.

Both my travel companion and I wanted to eat fish in Aqualina and were told in no uncertain terms by the waiter that we had made a bad choice. We ended up with one of each fish dish (snapper, sea bass, tuna) and all were mediocre to poor. However, we met other guests happy with their Aqualina experience so it's simply a matter of taste (and what you order).

The A/C wasn't too bad on the ship, but if you run to the colder side, I definitely recommend taking a light jacket or sweater with you to wear onboard. My friend was always cold onboard, while I was usually fine.

Agree with Swigso that the best thing to do is make your reservations as soon as you get on board. We are Captain's Club members and are booked in a suite on our upcoming AZ Baltic cruise. I was able to make one (of our 3) reservations by phone and was told the rest we would have to make when we arrived on board. I was even surprised I could do the one frankly. On our first Celebrity cruise we didn't have any trouble getting the speciality restaurant on that first day.

Erica, Host Andy & anyone else with an opinion,

You may not be able to answer this. Our cruise fare includes gratuities as a special promotion; do you think this would apply to the "gratuity" charge for the specialty restaurants? Or will we still be charged the $5 pp?

I intend to call Azamara with this question & a couple of others before we sail, but I thought I'd get some CC input also.

Thanks, Peggy

Erica, Host Andy & anyone else with an opinion,

You may not be able to answer this. Our cruise fare includes gratuities as a special promotion; do you think this would apply to the "gratuity" charge for the specialty restaurants? Or will we still be charged the $5 pp?

I intend to call Azamara with this question & a couple of others before we sail, but I thought I'd get some CC input also.

Thanks, Peggy

You will be charged the $5.00 per person as gratuities are only for stateroom Butler and helper..I have to say both restaurants are worth the $5.00 PP..in contrast to the other people that like Prime C best..Stu and I loved Aqualina and had dinner there several times!!

Jancruz1

Have you sailed with RCCL or celebrity before, if you have contact the captains club and they will help you. (RCCL crown and anchor gets you automatic Captains Club membership).

quote]

swigso, even though we are members of the crown and anchor, I was told by A that only the top level would qualify for CC. If we had sailed with Celebrity, our prior sailings would transfer and qualify us, but not just RCCL :(

I have to say both restaurants are worth the $5.00 PP..in contrast to the other people that like Prime C best..Stu and I loved Aqualina and had dinner there several times!!

Jancruz1

Hi Jan !

I agree. IMHO, for $5.00 per person, it's a great deal. If you had a similar meal at a land based restaurant, it would likely cost well over $100.00 per person, if not more.

BTW, we enjoyed Aqualina very much. Some of My Family members enjoyed Aqualina over Prime C. I feel it's all a personal preference. I enjoyed Prime C a bit more, as I always love a great steak !

Thank you all for your answers. As each Stateroom (not guest) gets two reservations, does that mean those in a single cabin who have paid double for their room still get two reservations?

Thank you all for your answers. As each Stateroom (not guest) gets two reservations, does that mean those in a single cabin who have paid double for their room still get two reservations?

Yes. Even if you pay a reduced supplement.

You are all great!!! - thanks for the response to the specialty restaurant question - we loved reading your input and look forward to some great meals - those donuts and fondue - oh my. And - the temperature question - very practical answers.....guess one can't escape dragging a jacket or sweater along.

Archived