Alaska formal nights -on sea days?

rmmm

Sorry, did not see it that way because Day 5 is called Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising, while Day 2 and Day 6 are called "at sea" days, and Thought that is what the OP was asking.

You're right - semantics. And we wonder why communication (or lack thereof) makes the world such a mess...

Just off the Zuiderdam - formal nite is Sunday while at sea and Thursday while sailing Glacier Bay.

Expect surf and turf on Wed. nite - decent enuf with filet mignon and Thursday is Alaskan King Crab Legs.

I forgot to mention the lack of formalness on Zuiderdam. Every nite we would dress for dinner and on formal nite I only counted about 8 tuxes. I thot the rules were no jeans in the dining room. Every nite people would walk in the dining room in jeans and t-shirts - men and women! So it's true when they say that Alaska is much more informal than other cruises.

If you are not into dressing up, you don't seem to have to enroute to Alaska - no one batted an eye! Also the 15 min. rule (you have 15 min. to get to your table or you are not allowed to enter) was also not enforced as many people showed up at 6 pm!

And dinner is 5:30 or 7:45 for traditional sitting - with the shows at 7:30 and 9:30.

Just off the Zuiderdam - formal nite is Sunday while at sea and Thursday while sailing Glacier Bay.

Expect surf and turf on Wed. nite - decent enuf with filet mignon and Thursday is Alaskan King Crab Legs.

Wednesday was Glacier Bay and Formal night :)

I forgot to mention the lack of formalness on Zuiderdam. Every nite we would dress for dinner and on formal nite I only counted about 8 tuxes. I thot the rules were no jeans in the dining room. Every nite people would walk in the dining room in jeans and t-shirts - men and women! So it's true when they say that Alaska is much more informal than other cruises.

If you are not into dressing up, you don't seem to have to enroute to Alaska - no one batted an eye! Also the 15 min. rule (you have 15 min. to get to your table or you are not allowed to enter) was also not enforced as many people showed up at 6 pm!

And dinner is 5:30 or 7:45 for traditional sitting - with the shows at 7:30 and 9:30.

HAL doesn't have a rule about no jeans in the dining room, they dropped that a while back. My hubby was one of those 8 :). We were very surprised by the casualness, but, with so many Australians and Brits on board that were in the middle of a 6 - 8 week North American tour, I can see why they didn't bring formal wear.

My DH will not be wearing a tux on formal nights but he will be wearing a dark suit, I also will not be wearing a formal gown, it's just not me but I will wear a pair of palazzo dress pants and glizzy top. Not everyone is into wearing a tux, etc. We would never think of wearing jeans, etc. on any night for dinner. This has been discussed so much, I guess this subject will always show up over and over. To each his own I guess.;)

I'm not surprised that few wore a tux on the Alaskan cruise. Did any men go to formal night without jackets? Just a dress shirt and tie?

Hi New Beginner,

On our recent Alaska trip on the Zuiderdam I noticed very few tuxedo's in the dining room (Open seating). I specifically purchased a jacket for this trip as was first time on Holland and didn't want to feel out of place. Previously crusin on Princess and Norwegian have always worn a dress shirt and tie with proper pants and never had a problem or felt out of place.

There were men dressed in tuxes,regular suits of various colours,dress shirts and ties, and some with shirts with no ties. So pretty much anything goes by what I experienced!

Heppy Cruzin!

We will be on the Zuiderdam for the June 20th sailing, and the six of us had planned not to bring Tuxes, suits, sportjackets, or any formal dresses to assist in the ease of our packing.

Were planning to eat in the alternative dining area for those two formal nights, but would nice shirt and pants (no tie or jacket) be appropriate for the men in the main dining room or would it just add to the anger of some diners. The women, even if not formal dresses, always seem to bring nice enough clothes to still get by.

Were planning to eat in the alternative dining area for those two formal nights, but would nice shirt and pants (no tie or jacket) be appropriate for the men in the main dining room

No, it wouldn't be appropriate. The dress code on formal nights calls for a jacket w/tie on a man. What you are suggesting is casual.

The choices are eating in the Lido, room service, or bring a jacket. If packing is a problem, then the men can simply wear the jacket in transit.

Before DH bought his tux, he wore his jacket in transit. It worked out great for him.

We are celebrating our anniversary June 12 and he has rented a limo for us and his parents, because it also his mom's birthday. He wants to wear his tux again so we are dressing formally. DH looks so handsome in his tux! MIL, 87 and FIL, 94 are not excited about the formal attire though. MIL will probably wear dressy pants and a sparkly top and lots of bling. At 94 FIL can wear a shirt and tie, but he still fits into his dinner jacket. We'll see.

Enjoy your cruise.

Just off the Volendam and the formal nights were the first "at sea" day and then Glacier Bay day. We saw a lot of men in suits with a few in tuxes. Women were the ones a little more dressed down. They wore anything from a glitzy top to a more casual dresses.

Archived