Considering a move to Celebrity

Fawn

I'd like some advice here from Celebrity cruisers. I've done Disney for years with my daughters, and we love it. But we're thinking of trying something new...mostly because my girls are getting older, and we just need a change!

This is a cruise for myself and two daughters, 19 and 20 next year. The lines we are looking into are Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. We have done RCCL and didn't like it at all, so that's out.

Thanks for any opinions or advice on which ships you can offer us!!

My wife and I have cruised all three lines you are considering and enjoyed each for what they offered: Carnival was a short 4-day with a large party group, Princess for a Canal Transit with friends who love Princess, and Celebrity for ourselves on many cruises.

When we look for a cruise, we go to Celebrity as our starting point, find an itinerary and a good SR (we go with Balconies now). Why Celebrity? We find the Celebrity package overall to our liking:

- Celebrity seems to have that low-key luxury of a special vacation. Dress up for a few Formal nights and casual for others. No announcements except at noon by the Capt, lots of activities, but not pushed, and I didn't get any of the press to buy or bait and switch I saw on others.

- Like Traditional dining. Get to know tablemates beyond the "what cruises" and "what do you do" questions. Our waitstaff knows us and our preferences, and I just like set dining - flex dining is OK, but I just like the 'feel' of being on a liner. Lots of positives and the negatives (need to change time) can be overridden by going to the Grill or a specialty restaurant.

- Service. Princess had very good service, but I think Celebrity is a cut above. Just that extra service of making sure we are happy and satisfied.

- The Celebrity ships, although large, are organized so you just don't know there are 2000 or so with you. Lots of very nice lounges, relax areas, etc. We love the Cava Cafe.

I could go on. Celebrity meets our niche at this time and we go with them when we fit at all. My teen and then early-mid 20's daughters loved Celebrity. One loved it so much, she got married on the Millinium. We love the M-Class and about to try the Solstice class.

Denny

I'd like some advice here from Celebrity cruisers. I've done Disney for years with my daughters, and we love it. But we're thinking of trying something new...mostly because my girls are getting older, and we just need a change!

This is a cruise for myself and two daughters, 19 and 20 next year. The lines we are looking into are Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. We have done RCCL and didn't like it at all, so that's out.

Thanks for any opinions or advice on which ships you can offer us!!

Hi Fawn

I'm new to cruise. We have two college age daughters and a high school age son, and I booked our family's first cruise with "The Fun Ship". But I canceled that cruise and re booked with X after I read these two reviews about the ship on this web site.:eek:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=37919

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38028

We loved the X Century ship. Every staff that I met on the ship were very professional, polite and always willing to help you. We took our cruise during college winter break and saw many college age young adult and some young children, and they're all well behaved.

Now I'm one of the X cruisers for life.:)

Hi Fawn

I'm new to cruise. We have two college age daughters and a high school age son, and I booked our family's first cruise with "The Fun Ship". But I canceled that cruise and re booked with X after I read these two reviews about the ship on this web site.:eek:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=37919

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38028

We loved the X Century ship. Every staff that I met on the ship were very professional, polite and always willing to help you. We took our cruise during college winter break and saw many college age young adult and some young children, and they're all well behaved.

Now I'm one of the X cruisers for life.:)

OMG! I'll look into the X...thanks for the info!!

Denny01 pretty much said it all.

With the exception of Princess (and Disney), we have sailed most of the mass market lines. All certainly have their pluses. But over the 16 years we have cruised, we have found that Celebrity is our best "fit".

I would only suggest to you as I have to others that the only way you are going to find out if you like a particular line or ship is to try it.

Which Celebrity ships. Assuming (yes, yes, I know) you are looking at a 7 night Caribbean I would suggest Celebrity Solstice. If your budget allows, book an Aqua class veranda. I have not sailed in this class stateroom, but have heard nothing but raves regarding it. But even if your budget only allows for a inside guarantee . . . . . book this ship. You will not be disappointed.

The Millie class is also great.

I have done 12 princess cruises and 2 ceelbrity. I prefer celebrity for service. food was good, enjoyed the shoes. the cabins are a bit larger than princess also. I have 3 more cruises booked -all with celebrity.

Denny01 pretty much said it all.

With the exception of Princess (and Disney), we have sailed most of the mass market lines. All certainly have their pluses. But over the 16 years we have cruised, we have found that Celebrity is our best "fit".

I would only suggest to you as I have to others that the only way you are going to find out if you like a particular line or ship is to try it.

Which Celebrity ships. Assuming (yes, yes, I know) you are looking at a 7 night Caribbean I would suggest Celebrity Solstice. If your budget allows, book an Aqua class veranda. I have not sailed in this class stateroom, but have heard nothing but raves regarding it. But even if your budget only allows for a inside guarantee . . . . . book this ship. You will not be disappointed.

The Millie class is also great.

Yes, we're looking at a 7 night Caribbean next March, 2010. I only book verandahs...I'm terribly spoiled and a bit claustrophobic! :)

Where does the Solstice sail out of?

Yes, we're looking at a 7 night Caribbean next March, 2010. I only book verandahs...I'm terribly spoiled and a bit claustrophobic! :)

Where does the Solstice sail out of?

Fawn,

Sails out of Fort Lauderdale in March, 2010. Slightly different itineraries depending on the week. Not sure about 3/7 but may be a charter.

3/21 - Fort Lauderdale, Florida, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Basseterre, St. Kitts, Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

3/14 & 3/28 - Fort Lauderdale, Florida, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Tortola, B.V.I., Labadee, Haiti, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

We just took our first and probably last Princess cruise on the Pacific Princess.. we have done three Celebritycruises and without a doubt.. Celebrity wins hands down for service..Their X does stand for Excellence.. and since I heard they have changed their menus again I'm raring to go for next fall.. as as say.."little things mean alot".. and Celebrity wins.. even Parrot Pop who could often care less was not impressed by Princess and their nickeling and diming us..Oh y es..they are coming up with some sort of alternative dining program.. For formal nights Parrot Pop wore a sports jacket...

I have sailed on 7 cruise lines, HAL, NCL, RCI, Princess, X, Disney, and Carnival. I'm surprised your daughters did not like RCI. What ships were you on? What didn't they like about it?

The ship, time of year, and length of cruise can make a big difference in your cruise experience.

With X, I have only cruised on Infinity and I liked it a lot. Great service, one of the best waiters I have ever had and the absolute best cabin steward. I hope you and your daughters have a wonderful cruise.

My first two cruises were on Celebrity, the Century then Mercury, I have also done two "Fun Ship", two NCL, and two Princess then two RCCL. On Millennium this July and can say that I am truly craving the Celebrity experience again. Have yet to find it on any of the others. Taking our 18 year old daughter too and she also is looking forward to getting back to the experience she remembers when she was 6 years old.:)

Archived