Security effecting Seniors' Travel Plans

MMDown Under

Has over zealous security effected your travel plans?

It has ours.

We used to frequently fly via LA, however we now avoid that airport, wherever possible.

Going through Security there is just too much trouble for seniors on holidays.

At the end of our last cruise we flew home via Europe, rather than via LA.

We used to fly around USA using air passes. On our last trip, using an airpass, travelling around Alaska, we were checked by Security at every airport destination. (Checks of hand luggage, etc. then were meant to be random.) My husband has now refused to fly within the USA, which is sad, as we were frequent US travellers.

We will do almost anything not to have to fly nowadays. Hubby has a pacemaker so he can't go through the scanners or be "wanded"--they have to do a "hand search" and it takes forever, and they treat him like he's up to no good. Plus, that leaves me taking all of our stuff through the scanners alone....which means I have to wait until my things have gone through x-ray, before I go through (just in case something, like my purse, pops back out...I don't want our $$$ to be on one side of the scanner without me!) and they get mad with me for "holding up the line"...too bad---their rules hold up the works, not me!

You're right---it's a total hassle anymore. The stupid "liquid" rule needs to be done away with...it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

My wife gets flagged everytime due to a hip replacement and medical equipment she carries. We just add a half hour for security. Unfortunately I don't think the security steps would really stop a "professional".

We will do almost anything not to have to fly nowadays. Hubby has a pacemaker so he can't go through the scanners or be "wanded"--they have to do a "hand search" and it takes forever, and they treat him like he's up to no good. Plus, that leaves me taking all of our stuff through the scanners alone....which means I have to wait until my things have gone through x-ray, before I go through (just in case something, like my purse, pops back out...I don't want our $$$ to be on one side of the scanner without me!) and they get mad with me for "holding up the line"...too bad---their rules hold up the works, not me!

You're right---it's a total hassle anymore. The stupid "liquid" rule needs to be done away with...it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

Our feelings exactly.

I wonder how many seniors are involved in developing these "rules". I also wonder if anyone counts the hidden costs to the US Airline industry, tourism, etc.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window. I sometimes can't help but wonder whether security doesn't have enough genuine work to do, so they create work to keep their jobs.

Even though I explained to Security personnel that my 85 year old MIL, travelling alone, had a hip replacement, he made her take off her sandles, with no support, no chair, etc. I just hope someone gets him to try to stand on one leg unsupported, when he's 85! :)

I feel sad when I see the large number of people who are employed in basic security positions. I'd rather see limited public funds used to employ behind the scenes security experts.

My wife gets flagged everytime due to a hip replacement and medical equipment she carries. We just add a half hour for security. Unfortunately I don't think the security steps would really stop a "professional".

I agree.

We just find the whole process exhausting and to be avoided as much as possible.

We try to avoid flying whenever possible. Last year we did TransAtlantic both ways so we could visit friends in Europe with as little air travel as possible. This year you will drive to Los Angeles and do a round trip to Hawaii. We have been to Hawaii many, many times--but we enjoy cruising and that is about the best cruise we can take without flying. ;)

I agree.

We just find the whole process exhausting and to be avoided as much as possible.

I agree, exhausting and frustrating! We now avoid flying whenever possible.

Barb:(

Archived