Nynashamn - What will we miss??????

We are planning a Baltic cruise and instead of docking in Stockholm we are docking in Nynashamn. I see that it is about 40 or 50 miles south of Stockholm. Does any one know anything about this place? What will we miss by not sailing all the way to Stockholm?

We are planning a Baltic cruise and instead of docking in Stockholm we are docking in Nynashamn. I see that it is about 40 or 50 miles south of Stockholm. Does any one know anything about this place? What will we miss by not sailing all the way to Stockholm?

Greeting to a fellow Central Ohio resident!

We have not been to the Nynashamn port, but it seems from previously researching this question that the main problem is the lack of convenience to Stockholm. Sailing into Stockholm is a nice plus, but the biggest draw-back would be the loss of time and added hassle getting from that port and back. It was very nice to have that convenience of the ship being relatively close, little or no traffic congestion, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Columbus, Ohio

Thanks Terry from CENTRAL Ohio... Thanks for the Info. Seems like the cruise line is almost forcing you to take the ships excursions when they stop here. I noticed that this year they are in Stockholm from 9 - 4 and next year from 7 - 6 but dock at Nynashamn. Oh well, I am sure it is still beautiful.

Thanks Terry from CENTRAL Ohio... Thanks for the Info. Seems like the cruise line is almost forcing you to take the ships excursions when they stop here. I noticed that this year they are in Stockholm from 9 - 4 and next year from 7 - 6 but dock at Nynashamn. Oh well, I am sure it is still beautiful.

YES, sounds like a good guess on forcing you to use their ship excursions. PLUS, they probably save a good bit on docking costs and have a little shorter sailing time/schedule. It's not an ideal situation, but you can still make it work.

What are you from in Central Ohio? I'm in Clintonville/northern Columbus.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Another thing you miss is the beautiful sail through the archipelago, dotted with small islands, on the way to Stockholm.

FYI, there is an easy train from Nynashamn to Stockholm. It is literally right next to where the ship will dock. Many people did this on our Princess Baltic cruise in 2006 when we docked in Nynashamn. Public transportation in the Scandinavian countries is cheap, clean, and very reliable.

Any thing for them to make money..haha Anyway, we live in Ashville about 15 - 20 miles south. Been here for the last 16 years.

THANKS, Tom & Jane! Know Ashville, its library, schools there, South Bloomfield, etc. well. Ch. 4 was busy there in your town last week with the staged "crime bust", etc. It sounds from other posts that if your ship docks there, it can work well with the rail service easily into Stockholm. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, Tom & Jane! Know Ashville, its library, schools there, South Bloomfield, etc. well. Ch. 4 was busy there in your town last week with the staged "crime bust", etc. It sounds from other posts that if your ship docks there, it can work well with the rail service easily into Stockholm. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Yeah it seems that everyone that lives here does H!!!!!! Every been to Dough Boyz or Mikes, Papa Joes, etc? We live about a mile north of the High School so we have a little land (2 acres).....

This is so sad that several cruise lines have suddenly opted to use Nynashamn next season. For me, the sail in and out through the archipelago is a feature that should not be missed, and you will miss it. Another thing, unless they have changed down there, you will have to tender from the ship to the dock. Tendering is a pain and a time waster.

The train is about a 1 hour trip and they can get crowded, especially on the way back, so you could end up standing.

I'm sure there will be lot's more discussion on this issue as it starts to sink in.

Tis a pity.

Al

Archived