Carnival Cruisers are Getting a Bad Reputation in Key West

Ship Addict

Wow! I left the house right after I posted this and was surprised at the comments I got! My post was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek response to a poster I had an encounter with on another board that really got me riled up. It was not a cruise board per se, so everyone that has been searching around all the cruise boards looking for the comments is going to be out of luck. And no, this really did happen, I really did have an encounter with this person who claims she is a resident of Key West. I will provide you the link, but it is a members-only type of site, so I don't know if the link would work. http://www.meetthephlockers.com/group/cruisinparrotheads

It is free to become a member, so you're welcome to join to read it all! Things start up at about page 8 (currently) with Pirate's comments about the Conquest. I, of course, am shipaddict on there too.

I thought her comments rather odd considering the "everything goes" impression that Key West willingly promotes.

Wow! I left the house right after I posted this and was surprised at the comments I got! My post was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek response to a poster I had an encounter with on another board that really got me riled up. It was not a cruise board per se, so everyone that has been searching around all the cruise boards looking for the comments is going to be out of luck. And no, this really did happen, I really did have an encounter with this person who claims she is a resident of Key West. I will provide you the link, but it is a members-only type of site, so I don't know if the link would work. http://www.meetthephlockers.com/group/cruisinparrotheads

It is free to become a member, so you're welcome to join to read it all! Things start up at about page 8 (currently) with Pirate's comments about the Conquest. I, of course, am shipaddict on there too.

I thought her comments rather odd considering the "everything goes" impression that Key West willingly promotes.

Well reading your intent sorry if i came across nasty at all to you. I thought it was another "Carnival is white trash" posts.

Not sure why but man there has been a rash of them lately. Guess i need to work on just not even opening them.

Next thing you know, people are going to blame what they see on Bourbon St. in New Orleans because of the Carnival Ship that docks there! LOL :D

Bring 'em on - they can stuff my tip jar and I'll excuse whatever happens to be sagging, lagging, perky or otherwise...I'm just sayin....:)

Apparently lately Carnival cruisers who have visited Key West are leaving a bad taste in some residents' mouths. I don't know who these passengers are, if they truly exist, or if they're being completely blown out of proportion, but nevertheless, we are being talked about on other boards.

It was said that the last couple of visits the Fantasy made to KW brought forth a scourge of unclothed, uncouth, intoxicated boors onto the town. Men went topless when they should not have, women wore bikinis through town, all were barefoot, and *gasp* carrying pink Carnival DOD cups. These people apparently could barely walk and perhaps even relieved themselves in public.

These people now have some of the residents of KW judging ALL Carnival passengers by this disrespect of their town. And they have drawn the conclusion that since this batch of nasty cruisers were on a Carnival ship, then the entire manifest of Carnival passengers must be of the same caliber. And they have drawn the conclusion that the poor boy who went overboard must have also been of the same ilk, even though we have been given no details of his situation to confirm or deny such.

So if you were one of these people (or know someone who was) who descended on KW naked and drunk, please in the future keep the rest of us Carnival passengers in mind and the poor, poor residents of KW. Put some clothes on, wear shoes, don't carry around pink cups FTLOG. You're making us all look bad!!

Cruising hasn't been the same since the Clampett's hit it rich....for sure.

If you were trying to be funny you missed the boat (don't excuse the pun). I have cruised on Carnival once, Norwegian once and RCCL three times with two more cruises planned for Royal Caribbean but I find your comment out-of-line. Carnival and Royal Caribbean are equally as good especially to their loyal customers. It is just a matter of which line a person perfers. So PLEASE do not stir this pot anymore than HOST MACH has already tried.

I thought it was hilarious!!! THis poster is saying we are beating a dead horse on this comparison!!!:p It is a old subject. Lighten up!! Laugh more!!

We cruised to Key West in 1990 and the locals were complaining about the cruise ships back then. I can imagine that it has only gotten worse. We fell in love with Key West and have traveled there many times since. Just my two cents, but in my experience I can see where there could possibly be some truth to the original poster's comments ...

I would love to hear your "logical" explanation about this. How does the drunk and disorderly from a ship differ from the drunk and disorderly from Fantasy Fest? I've been to FF, believe me, the Carnival passengers don't have a THING on the FFers. No pun intended, LOL.

Well reading your intent sorry if i came across nasty at all to you. I thought it was another "Carnival is white trash" posts.

Not sure why but man there has been a rash of them lately. Guess i need to work on just not even opening them.

Those are just the "fans" of other cruise lines trying to convince themselves that the extra thousands they are throwing away actually gets them something different from Carnival. (o.k. prettier ships.... not worth an extra 2 thousand to me...)

All Carnival cruisers, all people from NY, from England, all white people, all blondes, all teens, all college students, all Jews, Catholics, all fat people, all actors, all policeman, all motorcycle riders, all people who wear Nikes, etc and etc and etc.

When ever you do something wrong in public there is surely going to be a group of people who will be blamed for your foolish actions. If one of those Carnival cruisers had a Phillies shirt on the remarks might have been "look at how Philadelphia people behave"

I always tell my children they are representing something other than themselves. They represent their church, their neighborhood, their family.

Once I was in a cafeteria line and there were 3 girls from a Catholic school in their uniforms cursing, pushing, being loud and rude. There were also about a dozen girls not doing any of those things. When I sat to have lunch with co-workers the whole topic of conversation was how horrible those "Catholic" school girls were and what a terrible job the school, their parents and the Catholic community did on teaching those girls. Then everyone shared a story about some Catholic school child who acted less than honorably.

It is just how society behaves.. we like to brand whole communities.

So if you were one of these people (or know someone who was) who descended on KW naked and drunk, please in the future keep the rest of us Carnival passengers in mind and the poor, poor residents of KW. Put some clothes on, wear shoes, don't carry around pink cups FTLOG. You're making us all look bad!!

Yeah next time carry around souvenier cups from Key West or one of the other cruise lines ;) Even better if you can score some beige/tan beach towels too.

People talk and always will and most of it will be biased in some way. I can't wait to visit Key West one day and if I'm ever naked in public I hope someone shoots me cause it won't be a pretty sight ;)

LOL ok wonder if i can buy some RCCL cups on ebay?

I would book a cruise ONLY to walk around key west drunk, in cut off jean shorts and missing teeth while drinking Malt liquor from my RCCL drink of the day cup. ;)

Looks as tho the additional cruise ships to Key west are helping their City budget

Key West's financial situation is not as bleak as it was three months ago

I’ve been to Key West many times and I don’t think the Conchs of Key West are concerned with any cruise passenger. These people have already seen it all.:eek:

http://keysnews.com/node/13701

RCCL is better then CCL....

deadhorse.gif

LOLOLOL!

I think the rumors started about the time the ship pulled in -

redneck_cruiseline2.jpg

Wow! I didn't know Carnival decided to replace the Fantasy with that boat! I guess too many people complained about the overwhelming decorations! At least the Fantasy will be a new home for about 500 birds in the middle of Kansas!

I think that was the newly elected Mayor during his inauguration. :D

I heard their mayor's IQ dropped to .01 after his inaguration! (Before, the Mayor's IQ was .5!)

Any place that's fine with Jimmy Buffett is fine with me. Remember..."We are the people our parents warned us about." I hope to watch a sunset in that fine place one day. I cried so hard the day Captain Tony died. I had hoped to meet him. " went down to Captain Tony's to get out of the heat...." I'm sure you know the rest....

Being from South Florida and having been a state law enforcement officer who was worked Key West over the years, I can tell you that Key West residents can be just as bad as what was described here.

When the sun goes down in Mallory Square the place takes on its own identity unlike nothing else.

Oh, c'mon people! I've lived and worked in Key West for 8 years now & I've never heard of such a thing! Sure, back 6 years ago when 3-4 cruise ships were in port every day, locals got upset about the effect on the environment, not so much the effect on Duval St.:rolleyes: Now, the mayor (and, btw, while not a big fan, even I admit his IQ is better than reported in these posts) is on the radio whenever he can talking about how good it is for our economy that ships have been re-routed here. FTLOG, our economy is based on tourism! As a taxpayer, I can only say I LOVE cruise ships.

And as for tolerance, puhleeeze - we are "One Human Family" motto-wise. Many of us live it, too, including myself, DH & my friends. It's great living in a party town and I wouldn't trade the wildness for anything. To be honest, many of us are thrilled when our celebrations include cruise ship folks who are usually getting something they hadn't expected - like a few years ago when we unfurlled the largest rainbow (symbolizing gay pride) flag ever, all the way down Duval St. and families and folks from the ships helped us hold it up & keep it flying.:)

Say what you want, it's the most tolerant place to live in the US - and no one really knows or cares what ship you were on.

BTW, we're sinking the Vandenberg tomorrow to creat another artificial reef for divers & snorkelers and you can watch streaming online. Just google Vandenberg. Big, big, big deal here.

Archived