Carnival Cruisers are Getting a Bad Reputation in Key West

Ship Addict

BTW, we're sinking the Vandenberg tomorrow to creat another artificial reef for divers & snorkelers and you can watch streaming online. Just google Vandenberg. Big, big, big deal here.

I saw that big boat there, or I assume I saw it. I need to check for pictures, but I definetly have it on film. I was wondering why such a large junked out boat was docked by the Naval base. I saw something about it on the news. Hopefully the next time I stay at La Concha I will go and dive that wreck/reef.

(going to start my c-card certification next week for my August cruise)

I just spent a week in Key West. There were several ships in port that week. The only complaining I heard was when Disney was in town. No matter how you look at it Key West is not a kids town.:rolleyes:

Before 9/11 when a lot of small cruiselines went out of business, we would cruise to Key West for Fantasy Fest every year. Those little lines usually did the Freeport, Nassau run on 3 dayers and added Key West on the 4 dayers. But for "FF" They would just sail to KW and stay the weekend. Then cruise to a 'private island' before returning to Miami. We did that cruise for about 5 years in a row. A friend of mine had about 10,000 photos [not an exaggeration] of the Fantasy Fest Fun. The most common "Costume" was/is nubile young ladies would get their entire nude bodies painted. Some were incredible art work. But at any given time there were over 100 nude girls walking about. And Carnival cruisers cause raised eyebrows among Conchs? I doubt it!

I just spent a week in Key West. There were several ships in port that week. The only complaining I heard was when Disney was in town. No matter how you look at it Key West is not a kids town.:rolleyes:

Actually it is...there are plenty of family things to do, between the Mel Fisher museum, the pirate museum and the aquarium just for starters.

Actually it is...there are plenty of family things to do, between the Mel Fisher museum, the pirate museum and the aquarium just for starters.

You just don't want them on Duval Street after dark, or anytime in late October ;)

I have been watching the Duval Street webcam for a while now. The Carnival Fascination is in port today. I have seen absolutely no drunkenness in the streets or any rowdy behavior so far. All I see is a guy with a parrot on his shoulder scammin for photos.

Key West cruise calendar

Keep an eye on Irish Kevins...you will see someone stumble out....they don't let you leave there any other way...LOL :D

Any place that's fine with Jimmy Buffett is fine with me. Remember..."We are the people our parents warned us about." I hope to watch a sunset in that fine place one day. I cried so hard the day Captain Tony died. I had hoped to meet him. " went down to Captain Tony's to get out of the heat...." I'm sure you know the rest....

I was in Key West at the Meeting of the Minds last year when they announced that Captain Tony had passed away. That evening, when Howard Livingston sang Last Mango in Paris, a lot of grown people were crying as we raised our glasses to Captain Tony one more time. He was truly a legend and well loved.

I was going to say..... Grandma must have been feeling confident that day! :eek: Scooters and bikinis! And grandpaw (all 91 years old) drunk and peeing on the street!

Seniors on spring break!

lol!!

As a Townie in a seaside resort town all I have to say about this is .... *yawn*.

Whatever.

The Key West folks were less than pleasant to me the last time I was down there, one of asking me what time the ship was pulling and then telling me it was a good thing I wasn't going to be there to ruin the sunset. I take it with a grain of salt. I've spent too much time complaining about the BENNYs not to expect a bit in return, turn-about being fair play in all of that. All the more reason not to act like an entitled tourist in port, I say.

LOL "BENNYs", are you from NJ? I agree with you. The Benny's are here where I live, foodshopping is a nightmare for starters. I'll be a Benny in August.

How about this?

Every Key West person I talked to said they needed this money, and that if Carnival hadn't re-routed ships to Key West many of them would have made little to no money at that time.

Carnival brought Key West a mini-surge in an otherwise slow period. I saw the tourist spots full of Carnival people, excursions were booked, and Carnival people were on most scooter and bicycles in town. I love Key West, it is like a tropical french quarter. I was dressed decent and spent a lot of money there. As did the majority of the touirst there. I think this is BS. Lets see how well this month would have looked on the books if the swine flu hadn't have happened.

Exactly, we actually encourage such behavior. Which makes this story strange to me, as Duval street is know for this behavior. I mean topless men, and women in bikinis , oh My!! Seriously???

Last time I was in Key West (and no cruise ships in sight)I am pretty sure I saw topless women and men in bikinis:eek:

O.K. I'll bite. What's a Bennie?

On the coast, BENNY is term for the weekend/summer visitors from Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark or New York.

When I lived in a small weekend getaway town in Illinois, we used to call them Fudgies because they'd line the block to get fudge from a particular shop.

LOL "BENNYs", are you from NJ? I agree with you. The Benny's are here where I live, foodshopping is a nightmare for starters. I'll be a Benny in August.

Yup. Spent the worst summer of my life working the beach in Ocean Grove. I was so glad when I bought my house out in Neptune proper, because it has a 5-car driveway and a yard.

On the coast, BENNY is term for the weekend/summer visitors from Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark or New York.

It's the trainline that used to bring the folks down from the NYC area to the Central Jersey coast. In South Jersey, they refer to the tourists from the Philadelphia area as Shoebies, because they used to get off the train with their lunches in shoeboxes.

It's the trainline that used to bring the folks down from the NYC area to the Central Jersey coast. In South Jersey, they refer to the tourists from the Philadelphia area as Shoebies, because they used to get off the train with their lunches in shoeboxes.

LOL...there used to be a diner in North Wildwood named Shoobies.

:p

Are you kidding?! This is Key West you're talking about! It's NOT Disney World, that's for sure! If you think that is wild behavior, do NOT go anywher near Key West the last week of October---Fantasy Fest!!

Girls in bikinis? I don't think so! They take it all off and paint their bodies!!

Archived