Can anyone tell me when SW is going to release the next set of flights?

MamaParrotHead

From the Travel Tools page on Southwest's website

We are currently accepting air reservations through October 30, 2009. On June 23, we will open our schedule for sale through January 15, 2010. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Well, as of the past few weeks, the fare is around $341 (we're all travelling the weekend after Thanksgiving and returning the following Sunday). They are a family of 5 (all 3 kids under 6), so savings is a big deal. She is being quite picky about times and such, and I told her she needed to prioritize what she was looking for before getting serious about finding a fare (price vs. times vs. number of connections, etc.).

I told her I'd ask on here, as you guys gave me some great advice to jump on a fare that I was debating on, I did, and it's gone up $60 a person and stayed there for the past 3 months. ;)

Well, as of the past few weeks, the fare is around $341 (we're all travelling the weekend after Thanksgiving and returning the following Sunday). They are a family of 5 (all 3 kids under 6), so savings is a big deal. She is being quite picky about times and such, and I told her she needed to prioritize what she was looking for before getting serious about finding a fare (price vs. times vs. number of connections, etc.).

I told her I'd ask on here, as you guys gave me some great advice to jump on a fare that I was debating on, I did, and it's gone up $60 a person and stayed there for the past 3 months. ;)

I see all kinds of options into MIA. Even as low as $258 on NW-one stop MEM. Yes, you will have to get transport from MIA to the cruise port. There is even a Delta flight that arrives MIA, but returns from FLL. Decent flight times-home to MCI between 8:30 and 10:00PM Sunday evening. Saving almost $100pp for a family of 5 is a BIG saving. You can get a shuttle from MIA to FLL for less than $100. Heck, our stretch limo from South Beach to FLL was only $110 and that included a generous tip.

If it was me and I needed to transport 5 people from MCI to a cruise in Florida, I would be JUMPING on any fare under $300. Aren't you trying to fly Nov 28 or 29??? HEAVY, HEAVY travel days with people returning to Florida from Thanksgiving visits. In this economy, it is Mom's and Dad's flying from Florida to visit their kids/grandkids in the MidWest and not the other way around.

IF I have the dates wrong and it is the next weekend (Dec 5-13) there are flights as low as $180, again on Delta with plenty of availability.

PICKY will get her higher prices. Waiting for SW to open their schedule for more than 30 days to book THANKSGIVING travel is almost begging for a higher price. Why WOULD SW sell seats any cheaper than what is available today?? They won't. They are betting that in the next 30 days, a lot of those cheaper fares will be GONE. And they will be.

Yes, she's being picky on times. She doesn't think she can/will get all of them to the airport (they live in the burbs, an hour plus from MCI) to make anything before a 10:00 a.m. flight. We've actually been looking 11/27 (that's when I'm flying in from here).

She also cannot fathom (and I'm with her on this one), catching anything but a flight between 1:00 and 4:00 returning. Travelling with kids is tough, let alone 3 of them under 6, let alone after an exhausting week of fun and adventure and not starting the trek home until after dinner time.

I've been telling her to jump on it. Just keeping my eyes peeled. I jumped at a bit higher price, got the times we wanted and am happy we did. Just super disorganized and working on this with her is about to drive me batty, but I want to see it through, LOL.

She also cannot fathom (and I'm with her on this one), catching anything but a flight between 1:00 and 4:00 returning. Travelling with kids is tough, let alone 3 of them under 6, let alone after an exhausting week of fun and adventure and not starting the trek home until after dinner time.

Flights I suggested arrive MCI between 8:30 and 10PM. They leave between 2:30-4PM. But the 2:30 flight has a longer layover. LOTS of AA flights with availability on Nov 27 in her flight times into/out of MIA/FLL. All under $300 (most around $260). There ARE 5 tickets available for the flights below at $260.00 each. Bookable on the AA website. 3 hour layover in Chicago is the only bummer. But if you take the 3:20 flight with the shorter layover in Chicago, the price jacks by almost $100.00pp (the cheap seats are gone for FIVE tickets and you have a lot of business travelers flying on Sunday afternoons.)

Travelocity also has the same AA flight down, with a Delta flight at 4:15 back to MCI. Price is $287.00.

Kansas City, MO to Fort Lauderdale, FL: 1575 miles 6 hrs 19 min

American Airlines American Airlines Flight AA2023 on a MD-80 (jet) in coach class

Departs Kansas City, MO (MCI) Fri, Nov 27 1:01p 1 hr 45 min

Arrives Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) 2:46p

Layover in Dallas/Fort Worth 1 hr 59 min

American Airlines American Airlines Flight AA1386 on a MD-80 (jet) in coach class

(food for purchase)

Departs Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) Fri, Nov 27 4:45p 2 hrs 35 min

Arrives Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL) 8:20p

Miami, FL to Kansas City, MO: 1601 miles 8 hrs 35 min

American Airlines American Airlines Flight AA457 on a Boeing 757 (jet) in coach class

(food for purchase)

Departs Miami, FL (MIA) Sun, Dec 6 2:30p 3 hrs 25 min

Arrives Chicago, IL (ORD) 4:55p

Layover in Chicago 3 hrs 35 min

American Airlines American Airlines Flight AA1659 on a MD-80 (jet) in coach class

Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Sun, Dec 6 8:30p 1 hr 35 min

Arrives Kansas City, MO (MCI) 10:05p

Yes, she's being picky on times. She doesn't think she can/will get all of them to the airport (they live in the burbs, an hour plus from MCI) to make anything before a 10:00 a.m. flight. We've actually been looking 11/27 (that's when I'm flying in from here).

If you can find a much cheaper early morning flight, it would be worth it to Priceline an airport hotel and spend the night before at the airport.

If you can find a much cheaper early morning flight, it would be worth it to Priceline an airport hotel and spend the night before at the airport.

I totally agree with this! I always stay a night at the airport hotels (as close to them as I can get). They usually offer park and fly options which in the end will save a nice chunk of money on airport parking. We live 45 minutes from the airport we use most often. I still stay the night before as my vacation truly starts when I back out of my driveway and head to the airport.

The hotels I stay at offer a shuttle over to the airport in the morning. One of the best perks of this is that they drop you and your luggage off at the airline terminal you are flying. No parking the vehicle and lugging several pieces of luggage through the parking area etc only to find out you need to go in the other direction.

Many hotels offer a continental type breakfast as part of the pricing which allows a relaxed bite to eat before heading to the airport.

When you return all you do is call the hotel and they send a shuttle to pick you up. Again very easy and a nice perk.

We prefer early morning flights and those tend to be cheaper for us too. Less chance of common delays backing up the flight schedules. Sometimes fog might be an issue but we've never had that issue.

Try to get your friend to reconsider as this will give her a jump start on minimizing the stress involved prior to starting the vacation. :)

I love her to death, but she's making me crazy on this one.

Ahhh, the joys of group travel. And the associated pleasures of getting arrangements that suit everyone (or close enough).

She doesn't think she can/will get all of them to the airport (they live in the burbs, an hour plus from MCI) to make anything before a 10:00 a.m. flight
If you have to, anyone can make an early flight. Just accept that's the best option, set the alarm, roust yourself out of bed, move your butt and make the flight. Think of your savings as motivation.

I can't begin to count the number of flights where I've been out the door at 0 dark 30.

Yes, I agree. I've flown on a few occasions with little kiddos and made a 6:00 a.m. flight at the airport an hour and a half from here. Me and my kids are more flexible than she and her kids. My theory on most everything (from parenting to travel) is make a good plan, and be prepared to roll with it. She, however, has unrealistic expectations a lot of the time, therefore doesn't have any kind of a plan 99% of the time...which is probably why she refuses to get organized and her kids make her nuts.

I've just about had it at this point. I've done all the arranging and offered her options...she just refuses to get out of her rut and even make any decisions.

Thanks for all the info, everyone!

All you can do is give her the info and tell her it is her responsibility, do not come complaining to you if things don't work out. You cannot hold her hand. At least you've been kind enough to find out this kind of information for her.

I'm unoffical TA for a pretty close-knit group of friends who travel a lot together...a cruise, several "fly out" trips, and lots of road trips by car or motorcycle. Even though everyone is agreeable and pretty laid-back, it's almost impossible to meet everyone's schedule and budget needs. I've learned to figure out general dates and itenerary, let places know there will be a group, provide everyone with the iteneary and phone numbers, and leave everyone to fend for themselves.

The other posters are right, just provide the info and do NOT take on the responsibility of making their arrangements. Serious advice if you want to remain friends! :eek:

Two things are for sure: 1. There are good deals now, especially if travel dates are on or near Thanksgiving. 2. Southwest fares will be similar or lower than other airlines when they release the fares, but higher than fares today.

Very shrewd marketing.

Yes, I've adopted that philosophy thus far in leading this group (over 40 people now) cruise. I figured out what I wanted, booked it, invited others and gave them the info and the rest was up to them.

It's just a matter of my being a "get it done when you can" kind of person, and she's more of "when is the absolute last minute I can do it and still participate" kind of person. It is maddening to a point. It wouldn't bother me, except lots of things that *I* want to do are hinging on other people getting their butts in gear (like some group charters, where the rate depends on the amount of people we have going, etc.). I'm happy to do it all...plan, do the legwork, etc. All I'm asking from everyone else is cooperation, and even that is tough at this point. I'm hoping that everyone starts getting their act in gear, now that we're about 6 months out.

Thanks to everyone for the input. :)

Just have all of them give you their credit card numbers, expiration dates and security codes. Then you can book stuff to your hearts content.

And if they don't trust you with that...well, what kind of friend are they after all....;)

Good luck. Next time, a nice quiet trip for two sounds about right.

Archived