Morning Coffee? Oh my!

white.sand

OK, so this is a first timer question. My DW will have a fit without milk and Equal for her morning coffee. I suppose we can bring our own Equal along, but tell me, is milk for the coffee optional extra?

Can one order cereal and get a box of milk with it? As a beginner, I've already learned that cruise lines charge extra for most everything. :mad: Yes, I'm probably a cheap-skate, but after paying 17 grand for a cruise tour this nickle dime crap shivers me timbers!

I have not seen any french vanilla creamers on any cruise we've been on. (or other flavors)

I've just read a thread about bringing your own large coffee travel mug and I pictured myself filling it with the little individual creamers. I prefer the liquid over the powder kind.

I much prefer the liquid creamers to the powder too but I'm not sure they would travel well from Wisconsin...so I'll just have to settle for powder - thanks to whomever let us know that there are no favored creamers out there...

I drink my coffee with the flavored creamers also. Don't recall seeing them on any ship. I also like the dining room coffee better than the room service coffee. Rating the coffee? With 1 being worst and 10 being best, I'll give it a 5. Of course, I am picky, I grind my beans daily........;)

I also wondered about the flavored creamers, I don't like coffee without it and I need coffee every morning!

Its odd, coffee is such an important part of many adult's lives and I've never read anything other than the cruise lines having terrible coffee. Wouldn't you think that would be important for them to serve in order to get more guests? Its obviously a main ritual for many of our lives each and every morning, cruise or not! It just seems like such a trivial thing for the cruise lines to do right, in order to get more customers! Although I imagine they offer the good stuff for a pretty add-on price!

I never thought too much one way or the other about the coffee I was served on Carnival. The dining room coffee was pretty good I thought, my only complaint was that the cups were small (in my mind, tea cup sized) and not refilled very often. When my servers realized this was an issue for me they started plunking down the carafe, and I was happy as a clam. :)

At times the buffet coffee was not good, but I never had the feeling there was not a decent cup of coffee to be found on board the ship - until my Celebrity Century cruise.

OK, so this is a first timer question. My DW will have a fit without milk and Equal for her morning coffee. I suppose we can bring our own Equal along, but tell me, is milk for the coffee optional extra?

Not only is milk free, but (on Princess, at least) they'll even bring you hot milk so it doesn't lower the temperature of the coffee. Nice touch.

Caro

If you don't like the coffee in the dining room on Carnival, you can try a Cappucino instead. It's available at no cost, and we thought it was better than the coffee. Espresso is also available at no extra cost, but I can't say if it's any good or not.

• 2 weeks later...

So curious about RCCL do they offer the same. Can I order coffee from room service for free (of course with exception of the tip) Can I pre-order it as well? Such as Carnival offers room service door hangers to pre-order, does RCCL offer this as well? Also, does RCCL bring a carafe of coffee as well? And, do they have sugar and liquid creamer they bring? Not flavored but plain jane creamer, do I have to pay extra for it?

I am wondering where I will get my morning coffee? :eek: I am assuming that we will not have coffee makers in our rooms. I also assume that you can order it from room service.

But I usually drink more than a cup each morning and sometimes like a cup with dessert in the evening too. ;)

We will be on the Carnival Conquest 7 day Carribean.

Will I be able to get my much needed coffee?

Does it cost extra?

Is it available throughout the day or only in the morning?

PLEASE TELL!

Thanks!

You will absolutely be able to get your coffee. First, there's always room service if you need it to get out of bed. They will bring as much as you want. Just don't forget to tip. There is coffee available in the lido deck buffet (should be all day). You should also be able to get coffee with your meal and/or after in the dining room at night (including free cappuchino last I heard!)

Or there is also the coffee shop with specialty coffee for a small price.

I don't know how good any of it is since I don't drink it but my grandma and mom both like it and it's def. plentiful.

I much prefer the liquid creamers to the powder too but I'm not sure they would travel well from Wisconsin...so I'll just have to settle for powder - thanks to whomever let us know that there are no favored creamers out there...

If you're arriving at your port ahead of the cruise, why don't you make a quick stop at a grocery store? That's how we get our toiletries too so that we don't have to fly with them.

I will only drink coffee at the atrium/Piazza. this is the only place that the coffee is from ground coffee beans, otherwise it's a liquid concentrate which I can not tolerate. I get a coffee card for cappucinos and enjoy my coffee and mini pastries at the atrium bar every morning. I also noticed that I am not alone and after the 2nd day you see the same group of regulars that go for real coffee in the morning. I can tolerate the coffee in the MDR after dinner but not every night. If you love your coffee I recommend you go with the coffeee card and enjoy your cruise. We have cruised almost 40 times and I remember when the cappucinos were free but I guess cofee is expensive and ther are lots of folks who drink many cups so they had to do something.

I bring Folgers single coffee bags. I love everything about cruising but the free coffee. Bad is not the word. You can get hot water at the bar, and grill,and order it from room service for that first cup of the day. I also will go and get a large latte for around $3.50 for a special treat.

Reading about the latte reminded me - on my last cruise, the espresso bar charged the same for a latte as an americano. Which is ridiculous, usually an americano is a dollar or two less because water is cheaper than milk. Guess it isn't that rare of a problem, I ran into the same thing at disneyland.

The pay for coffee was sometimes a little better than what was served for free in the dining room, but not by much.

I've never seen flavored creamers on any of the 5 different lines we've sailed, so I always bring flavored (powdered) along with me.

I am so happy you mentioned this, I was just about to ask. It is the only way I can drink coffee and I am addicted to the stuff.

I bring along a gallon sized bag full of my flavored creamers (individuals) and it is empty by the end of the cruise. Some of the stores sale the french vanilla flavor in the indiv. size, (international delight brand) - does not need to be refrigerated....

or some convenience stores stock the different flavors by their coffee area (just grab a hand full (or two), and get a coffee - eventually you will have enough.

I am lucky enough to have a brother that owns a restaurant...I get my creamers by the case...

On another note...after dinner in the restaurants, I usually get a double espresso (they also have cappacinos)...their is no charge there.

To the poster who asked about RCCl coffee: Yes, room service delivers a carafe of coffee & individual creamers & sugar or the artificial sugars if you ask for them. This service is free except for tip (but there is a charge between Midnight & 5 am).

So far, Princess has the worst coffee of the 4 lines we've been on. Their coffee that you pay for is far worse than the free coffee on RCCL. The free on Princess approaches undrinkable, however, I still drank it since the pay coffee wasn't much better.

I will only drink coffee at the atrium/Piazza. this is the only place that the coffee is from ground coffee beans, otherwise it's a liquid concentrate which I can not tolerate. I get a coffee card for cappucinos and enjoy my coffee and mini pastries at the atrium bar every morning. I also noticed that I am not alone and after the 2nd day you see the same group of regulars that go for real coffee in the morning. I can tolerate the coffee in the MDR after dinner but not every night. If you love your coffee I recommend you go with the coffeee card and enjoy your cruise. We have cruised almost 40 times and I remember when the cappucinos were free but I guess cofee is expensive and ther are lots of folks who drink many cups so they had to do something.

Which cruise line was this on Devil Dog?

To add - yes, Royal has room service coffee like the poster below says - and you can order room service from the tags on the doors - and they call before they come to deliver. Somethings to be aware of: room service is not available the day you disembark - the ship is too busy working to turn it around for the next batch of cruisers; and - have heard tell of kids running the halls removing the door tags sometimes :mad:

To the poster who asked about RCCl coffee: Yes, room service delivers a carafe of coffee & individual creamers & sugar or the artificial sugars if you ask for them. This service is free except for tip (but there is a charge between Midnight & 5 am).

So far, Princess has the worst coffee of the 4 lines we've been on. Their coffee that you pay for is far worse than the free coffee on RCCL. The free on Princess approaches undrinkable, however, I still drank it since the pay coffee wasn't much better.

Archived