Tipping in London

Being from NY, EVERYBODY who does anything for you, thinks they deserve a tip, from guys that squeegie your windshileds, to taxi's to shoe shiners etc. But what about London.

If you take a taxi anywhere, what is the appropriate tip??> Is it a percentage of the fare, by time???????????

Are the tips included in most eateries as standard proceedure, and if not, what is the appropriate rate of tip to servers??.

What about anyone who might handle your luggage, say at the airport, or at your hotel. We have always gone by about $2.00 a bag, is that the same in London???

And one more, if we do a tour with a guide, say a walking tour, or a rented bus tour, are you supposed to tip the guide, the driver etc???

As I said, being from NY, everyone has their hands out, is this the same in London?

The quick answer to your question is that tipping is never expected, butalways appriciated!

That said for you examples you gave for a taxi, simply round up the fare or just give a few pounds extra. You won't find that many porters at airports I'd train stations to help you with your bags, but if you do again a small gesture is appricated. Don't forget everyone will be on at least minimum wage which is about £5.60 per hour.

In restaurants if service charge is added to your bill ( normally 10 - 15%) then you don't need to tip over that. If no service charge is added then about 10% is normal, but if service was poor then it's perfectly acceptable to leave no tip at all. It is not normal to tip bar tenders, but you can offer "one for yourself" if you have built up a rapport. Tour guides will alway appricate a small tip.

No one will ever be offended if you offer a tip; but neither will they be if you don't!

As above, UK people would never think of tipping barmen and most UK people would not leave tips for hotel room cleaners/maids either.

In restaurants, a 10% tip is genourous and only contemplated if its a place where you get personal, attentive service and is thoroughly earned - its not like the US where a waiter expects 15% just for turning up.

Don't expect to get any better service by offering tips, they are perceived for the most part in the UK as a windfall not linked to performance, though if you are somewhere like a Marriott hotel where there are a lot of Americans thay are more attuned to keeping the Americans happy.

For tour guides and similar offering a personalised service then tip whatever makes you feel comfortable. A tour guide dealing daily with visitors is used to receiving 15% tips from Americans and nothing at all from Japanese visitors but that just life.

No one in the UK really expects tips but if you do they are very welcome.

Being from NY, EVERYBODY who does anything for you, thinks they deserve a tip, from guys that squeegie your windshileds, to taxi's to shoe shiners etc. But what about London.

If you take a taxi anywhere, what is the appropriate tip??> Is it a percentage of the fare, by time???????????

I generally just round up the fare to the nearest pound or sometimes I tell them 'take a pound for your self' when I am waiting for my change.

Are the tips included in most eateries as standard proceedure, and if not, what is the appropriate rate of tip to servers??.

Sometimes a service charge is added and sometimes it isn't. You need to check the bill. If it is there is no need to leave any more. I don't always tip but would be more inclined to tip for particularily good service... around 10%. Employees in the UK receive a minium wage so tipping isn't a way of subsidising poor salary.

What about anyone who might handle your luggage, say at the airport, or at your hotel. We have always gone by about $2.00 a bag, is that the same in London???

You won't see many porters at airports ... good luck if you find one!! As for hotel porters, just give a pound or 2.

And one more, if we do a tour with a guide, say a walking tour, or a rented bus tour, are you supposed to tip the guide, the driver etc???

No I wouldn't think tipping the guide or driver is necessary.

As I said, being from NY, everyone has their hands out, is this the same in London?

Tipping in the UK is done for exceptional service and not something that is expected everytime. Certainly, no one will be upset if you don't tip. Please don't worry about it too much... just enjoy your trip and spend your hard earned money on yourself!

Thank you people. You Brits have the real deal on this. In that, as we said, Americans feel obligated to tip anyone who smiles at them, and the service people expect tips just be doing their job, and at eateries, it's about 18%. People say, if you don't tip the porters at airports or cruise terminals enough, your luggage may end up in Singapore. It will be a pleasure to tip for good service, isn't that what it's all about??

The amount of threads about tipping makes it a major source of angst for cruisers. There should be a sticky on this topic for each country/port it gets asked so often.

Wasn't tipping/good service supposed to help you enjoy yourself?

Same goes for currency questions which everyone wants the answer to the same question before they travel

Archived