steveaaaaaaaaa... John's response

*Mach*

Ted!!!! What do you think you are doing? Look at the responses to this thread they are personal and filled with emotion. Right...Wrong no where in between and you want to inject logic? What are you thinking? The next thing you know you will wish everyone a great cruise and start harmony and then what world peace? Stop now before this gets out of hand.:D

You're right gtouch... I'm going over to the "Deck Chair Hog" thread to see if I can talk some sense into them. ;)

I suspect it is illegal - similar to it is illegal to charge one price for a cash transaction and a different price for a credit transaction.

It is ok, to give a cash discount for those paying with cash, but illegal to charge those paying with credit cards more.

We have gas stations here in FL that charge different prices for cash versus credit.

Steve

Here's a solution...Why don't we let everyone who Tips decide for themselves how they want to Tip. It doesn't need to become an endless debate everytime this subject comes up. Cruiselines provide recommendations for appropriate amounts and they also provide the Auto-Tip feature, if you want to use either. The Passenger then could decide for themselves,without anyone's help, how much, who, when and where they want to do it. It really doen't matter. Tipping should be a private matter between the Tipper and the Tippee, not a subject beaten to death here or anywhere else. Whatever you Tip or how you choose to Tip will make no difference in how much I enjoy my Cruise. I know that may shock some of you, but I think most people can enjoy their cruise without board approval. Just something to think about.

An excellent and most valid point. Remove the auto tips if you want. Keep them if you want and tip additional, or in lieu of, if you want.

Going WAAAAAAAY back I think we can all agree that it was Fred's photo of the 'no tippers' list that sparked all this. Whether you believe them or not Carnival stated that posting such a list was not to be done until after the passengers debark. Personally, I could care when or if such a list is ever posted!!

Tip according to the way you feel about your service, just as you would in any other situation...

:)

That is the small print. Cash discount.

Steve

Linky no worky.

And I believe that might vary by state. But I can say every state I've been to has gas priced less for cash than for credit (with the exception of using the franchise's credit card).

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesterdaystime viewpost.gif

Unless I missed it, where does the extra dollar go (5.50 + 3.50 = 9.00)? Does it go to the rest of the behind the scenes people?

The Lido staff.

So does this mean the Lido staff will likely not be tipped when people remove the autotip?:confused:

So does this mean the Lido staff will likely not be tipped when people remove the autotip?:confused:

Unless the person that removed the auto-tip goes to the Lido buffet and gives some money to SOMEONE there, they will not be tipped. What that someone does with the money,?????????????

I am of the STRONG opinion, and strictly my OPINION, that when the auto-tips are removed, VERY FEW people get tipped at all. Opinion, not presented as fact.

Unless the person that removed the auto-tip goes to the Lido buffet and gives some money to SOMEONE there, they will not be tipped. What that someone does with the money,?????????????

I am of the STRONG opinion, and strictly my OPINION, that when the auto-tips are removed, VERY FEW people get tipped at all. Opinion, not presented as fact.

I agree with you, Dan. I suspect there are exceptions, but I believe that those who remove auto-tips either tip very little or not at all. After all, the logic is there: if you wanted to tip MORE than the auto-tips, then you would leave those in place and give the person deserving of same the money in person (or you can up the tip amount directly to your S&S account). There is NO reason whatsoever to remove the auto-tips if you have every intention of tipping at least that amount. Every time I read a thread about removing auto-tips I think, "Oh, that person isn't tipping a dime. Or maybe that's ALL they're tipping." Sad thing is, those that post those types of threads have no idea how very transparent they truly are :eek:

I agree with you, Dan. I suspect there are exceptions, but I believe that those who remove auto-tips either tip very little or not at all. After all, the logic is there: if you wanted to tip MORE than the auto-tips, then you would leave those in place and give the person deserving of same the money in person (or you can up the tip amount directly to your S&S account). There is NO reason whatsoever to remove the auto-tips if you have every intention of tipping at least that amount. Every time I read a thread about removing auto-tips I think, "Oh, that person isn't tipping a dime. Or maybe that's ALL they're tipping." Sad thing is, those that post those types of threads have no idea how very transparent they truly are :eek:

To you it does not make sense to others evidently they do have a reason, whether we agree with it or not.

Again it has been posted again and again.......there are people that leave their auto tip on......there are people that tip in cash....and there are people that don't tip at all.......

It has never been either or........

If you remove the auto tip nobody gets tipped. If you remove the auto tip and prefer to tip in cash you most certainly can tip anyone you want........

Your perception, your opinion and that's all. Why does it matter to you how another cruiser chooses to Tip? Sad thing is, those that post such judgemental comments on these types of threads have no idea how very transparent they truly are.

Boy, talk about being judgemental and then making such a statememnt that cannot be proved or disproved w/out facts.

Who cares if a tip is removed and done personally or left on... that is up to each passengers discretion. And as long as it is not affecting my service, is a mute point. :rolleyes:

Boy, talk about being judgemental and then making such a statememnt that cannot be proved or disproved w/out facts.

Who cares if a tip is removed and done personally or left on... that is up to each passengers discretion. And as long as it is not affecting my service, is a mute point. :rolleyes:

If you can explain a valid reason why someone would take the auto-tip off and then tip that exact same amount I MIGHT stand corrected. However, I doubt you can do it.

If you can explain a valid reason why someone would take the auto-tip off and then tip that exact same amount I MIGHT stand corrected. However, I doubt you can do it.[/quote]

I agree!

I don't believe any reason would be valid to you:p

To you it does not make sense to others evidently they do have a reason, whether we agree with it or not.

Again it has been posted again and again.......there are people that leave their auto tip on......there are people that tip in cash....and there are people that don't tip at all.......

It has never been either or........

I agree with you 100% Kurbanfan. All I said in that quoted post was that, while I know there are some exceptions, I feel (yes my opinion) that those that take the auto-tips off are not in fact going to tip the standard $10pp/pd tip, IF they tip at all. And no, I really could care less whether they do or not. But I do feel sorry for the poor folks who have to wait on those selfish slobs. ICK.

Excellent analysis of the entire spectrum of possibilities. Couldn't agree more. :)

If you can explain a valid reason why someone would take the auto-tip off and then tip that exact same amount I MIGHT stand corrected. However, I doubt you can do it.[/quote]

I agree!

I don't believe any reason would be valid to you:p

You're wrong there Kurbanfan. I admit I think with a logical mind. Always. However, I believe that there is a difference between valid and logical. To me, valid is subjective, logic is objective. Again, just MHO. Your mileage may vary. If someone can present a valid reason why they would remove auto-tips and then turn around and tip that exact same amount, as I said, I am willing to admit defeat, LOL.

Tip however and how much you like as many have said it's their right to choose. But for those that enjoy actually giving the money to the people and remove the auto tip a problem is that many of the staff on LIDO who you don't actually come in contact with like "bus boys" etc. may get left out. I think it would be very hard to find everyone who helped serve you and make sure they get taken care of. Just a thought. Again tip how you want or don't tip if you don't want its your decision.

Tip however and how much you like as many have said it's their right to choose. But for those that enjoy actually giving the money to the people and remove the auto tip a problem is that many of the staff on LIDO who you don't actually come in contact with like "bus boys" etc. may get left out. I think it would be very hard to find everyone who helped serve you and make sure they get taken care of. Just a thought. Again tip how you want or don't tip if you don't want its your decision.

Excellent point gtouch and my point exactly. There is no valid reason to remove auto-tips if you intend to tip that same amount anyway. If one does so, there ARE people who will be left out, no matter how good one's intentions are.

If you can explain a valid reason why someone would take the auto-tip off and then tip that exact same amount I MIGHT stand corrected. However, I doubt you can do it.

Have you missed the whole purpose of my question to JH or the purpose of this thread?

I believed they were not getting 100% so I wanted to make sure they were,by tipping in cash. Is making sure they get 100% a valid reason?

My opinion has now been changed as a result of his answer.Please read post 1 of this thread.

Steve

You're wrong there Kurbanfan. I admit I think with a logical mind. Always. However, I believe that there is a difference between valid and logical. To me, valid is subjective, logic is objective. Again, just MHO. Your mileage may vary. If someone can present a valid reason why they would remove auto-tips and then turn around and tip that exact same amount, as I said, I am willing to admit defeat, LOL.

How do we know what amount people tip in cash? Is it the exact same amount? Is it more? Is it less? And I don't think I am wrong.....your posts clearly show that this topic is a sore issue with you........you have clearly been highly judgemental about it......so no matter why people prefer to tip in cash rather then auto I don't think you will find any logical reasoning in it .....JMHO:D

Seriously if this was a big problem.......don't you think if all these people were stiffing the crew that Carnival would implement a service charge..........how many times have you seen posts about crew members working for Carnival for 10 years and more? Do you really think they would be still working if there were all these stiffers:confused: It seems the only people having a problem with this is a few cc members.....certainly not Carnival or their employee's.......

Case in point - we always leave auto-tips on, and hand out extra cash tips for those who deserve extra. We wanted to give extra cash to our dinner drink server who took extra care to have our sodas waiting each night at our dining table. She, however, was "off" that night, and the next a.m. We left the ship feeling like we "gyped" her - definitely not intentionally, as she never knew we had something extra for her. We actually tried to search her down thru the purser's desk, and thru other dining room staff. No good. I felt really bad about the whole thing, and now will give out our extra tips 2 nights before, just in case.

Archived