Formal night - sneakers...

monkeyrat100

My friend and I will be going to Alaska in July, and he absolutely refuses to dress up for formal night. He is willing to wear a dress shirt and khakis, but will not wear shoes to dinner. Considering that we are only bringing one carry-on bag each with us (refuse to bring luggage with the airline's extra charges nowadays), I'm thinking that I will just be bringing sneakers as well. If we wear a dress shirt, khakis, and sneakers, will we be able to eat in the dining room or will they turn us away? From what I have read, the recommendation for formal night are guidelines rather than mandatory. And they don't mention footwear. I wouldn't mind eating in the buffet if the food is the same, but we both want the lobster tails.

What you are describing sounds too casual to me on formal night for the Dining Room. There is a very good chance you would not be allowing in DR on formal night which is when they usually serve lobster. I don't believe they server lobster in the Buffet - maybe someone else can confirm this?

Depending on your ship you could go to the Crowne Grill and but you will pay the $25 cover charge pp and the upcharge for lobster. It might be cheaper to pay the extra bag charge.

Unfortunately you can not order the DR menu thru room service - bummer.

I hope you have a great cruise.:D

It'll really depend on the Maitre'D, but I think you'll be out of luck getting into the main dining rooms on formal night.

And, of course, this is a sore spot for many on this board... let the games begin! :p

My friend and I will be going to Alaska in July, and he absolutely refuses to dress up for formal night. He is willing to wear a dress shirt and khakis, but will not wear shoes to dinner. Considering that we are only bringing one carry-on bag each with us (refuse to bring luggage with the airline's extra charges nowadays), I'm thinking that I will just be bringing sneakers as well. If we wear a dress shirt, khakis, and sneakers, will we be able to eat in the dining room or will they turn us away? From what I have read, the recommendation for formal night are guidelines rather than mandatory. And they don't mention footwear. I wouldn't mind eating in the buffet if the food is the same, but we both want the lobster tails.

Play it safe and please follow the recommendation a bit closer. Throw in a jacket, tie, dress shirt, slacks, and real shoes.

Most of the formalists on CC will disagree but the probability of getting into the DR dressed the way you describe is around 95%. Shoes don't have much to do with it - my wife wore Princess slippers for a whole 10 days to dinner & no one said a word & I sometimes wear my sneakers. There are always a handful of guys eating with just long sleeve shirts on (no tie or jacket) & they don't seem to have any problems getting served. What does attract attention is a short sleeve shirt with a logo (golf shirt) which is what I wear & occasionally I'll have to put on my jacket until I pass inspection & then hang it on my chair. ;) For better success getting in, if questioned, try telling the Maitre'D that they've lost you're luggage which seem to work for some people.

Good luck.

Just a quick one to throw in there... I seem to remember reading something about being able to rent formalwear, and picking it up when you get on the cruise, so you don't have to carry it with you?

Maybe you could do that?

We're going to the Baltic in September on Emerald, and I must admit it's a pain trying to come up with a clever way to dress up without having to pack a lot of extra stuff, but I've decided on black pants, which I will have with me anyway, rather than a dress, and just throw in a fancy top to go with it.

That way, the shoes are half hidden by the pants, and don't have to be as formal.

I got some black, suede mules that are fleece-lined with a low heel... I figure they'll be nice and warm even without socks and I can wear them on the plane as well as on the formal nights.

I personally feel it's a bit rude to all the other passengers not to dress up and expect to get to go to the main dining room on formal night anyway.. everyone else has made the effort, if you expect to go, you should make the effort too.

Just think about it in a clever way. He could probably get away with dockers and a long-sleeved shirt and tie, with no jacket. That would cut down on the luggage a bit, without having to bring a suit jacket.

There's no excuse not to wear a tie, that doesn't take up any space, nor does a long-sleeved business or dress shirt.

The pants, even if a smart casual pair should be something dark, like black or navy blue, and I think you could get away with sneakers if they were a dark colour also.. white sneakers would be most unacceptable.

I definitely feel he needs a tie. Sneekers may be acceptable if they are not white. My daughter and her boyfriend just went to prom and he wore a full tuxedo with black high top converse sneekers. Seems to be a trend and to be honest it looked adorable. Not sure how cute that will be on someone much over 25 or so!

Even me, a stout non-formalist, who only owns 2 pairs of shoes anyway found room to take a pair of decent shoes with me for formal night. I don't think sneakers would be a good look on formal night. As other have said, you can go to one of the other extra charge restaurants or try the buffet.

I smell a rat :p

If I am mistaken, I would suggest you where your sneakers and pack the shoes.:D

There's no excuse not to wear a tie, that doesn't take up any space, nor does a long-sleeved business or dress shirt.

I definitely feel he needs a tie.

Again, there are some people who always enjoy wearing a tie but there is no place in the dress suggestions/guidelines where it says a tie is a requirement or even hinted at being required.

Again, there are some people who always enjoy wearing a tie but there is no place in the dress suggestions/guidelines where it says a tie is a requirement or even hinted at being required.

From the Princess Cruise Answer book:

Formal:

Evening Gowns, Cocktail Dresses, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket for men

Not only is a tie for men not mentioned, but neither are shirts or shoes or socks. Do I have to wear shoes?

Most of the formalists on CC will disagree but the probability of getting into the DR dressed the way you describe is around 95%.

I agree, but don't be upset if you are among the 5% that is turned away. If you take the risk, be willing to take the consequences.

My wife and I each bring one 21inch carry on with enough cloths to get by if the airlines lose the luggage. I am able to fit a pair of mens dress shoes and a pair of flip flops in the carry on. I wear my sneakers. I always attempt to bring one bag to check with formal wear and the rest of our cloths. After I add the liquids that you can't take on the plane I wind up having to check an additonal 21in bag because the one bag weighs over 50lbs. Last time I was over by 3 lbs. I flew Jetblue so they allow one checked bag per person free. I would have had to pay $70 for one 53lb bag. My point is it would probably be cheaper to check one bag than to eat in a specialty resturant or to rent formal wear. On occasion I have skipped the dining room and ate at the buffet or resturante. It was a nice change.

Copied from Answer book on line:

Clothing Suggestions

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort. Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates. See weather.com for the latest weather information on the region you are visiting. We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

The Climate

Visit FAQs for a list of worldwide high-low daytime temperatures by destination to help you plan for your cruise vacation. This list will help you to decide what type of clothing to bring on your Princess cruise.

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal Evenings:

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

LENGTH OF CRUISE NUMBER OF FORMAL EVENINGS NUMBER OF SMART CASUAL EVENINGS

3-6 Days 1 1-5

7-13 Days 2 5-11

14-20 Days 3 11-17

21-28 Days 4 17-24

29 Days+ 5 minimum 24+

Dress code is subject to change with the ship's itinerary. The above is a general guide. The dress code suggested in the Princess Patter may vary from time to time.

Learn Cruise Answer Place

Copied from Answer book on line:

Clothing Suggestions

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort. Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates. See weather.com for the latest weather information on the region you are visiting. We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

The Climate

Visit FAQs for a list of worldwide high-low daytime temperatures by destination to help you plan for your cruise vacation. This list will help you to decide what type of clothing to bring on your Princess cruise.

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal Evenings:

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

LENGTH OF CRUISE NUMBER OF FORMAL EVENINGS NUMBER OF SMART CASUAL EVENINGS

3-6 Days 1 1-5

7-13 Days 2 5-11

14-20 Days 3 11-17

21-28 Days 4 17-24

29 Days+ 5 minimum 24+

Dress code is subject to change with the ship's itinerary. The above is a general guide. The dress code suggested in the Princess Patter may vary from time to time.

Learn Cruise Answer Place

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I'm going to be wearing a dress shirt, dark pants, gray sneakers, and a tie. I will try to convince him to wear a tie too (he hates having to dress up in general, and doubly hates having to dress up while on vacation). From what I'm reading above, the clothing guidelines are just suggestions. The only attire not allowed are the things in bold. We're gonna be flying to Alaska on a one way and then back from Vancouver on the other way. I refuse to pay luggage charges each way (plus even if I brought luggage and wore shoes, he still wouldn't wear shoes), and there is no way I'm paying to eat at a cover charge restaurant either.

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I'm going to be wearing a dress shirt, dark pants, gray sneakers, and a tie. I will try to convince him to wear a tie too (he hates having to dress up in general, and doubly hates having to dress up while on vacation). From what I'm reading above, the clothing guidelines are just suggestions. The only attire not allowed are the things in bold. We're gonna be flying to Alaska on a one way and then back from Vancouver on the other way. I refuse to pay luggage charges each way (plus even if I brought luggage and wore shoes, he still wouldn't wear shoes), and there is no way I'm paying to eat at a cover charge restaurant either.

You don't have to. The buffet is free. Your friend might find the dining room stuffy on any given night.:o

[/b]

You don't have to. The buffet is free. Your friend might find the dining room stuffy on any given night.:o

We both want the lobster tail, and thats not in the buffet. Or else I would be happy to eat there on formal night.

If you're "into" lying, you could always say that you need to wear sneakers for medical reasons, such as foot problems. There are many people who can only wear sneakers because of knee or foot ailments.

If you're "into" lying, you could always say that you need to wear sneakers for medical reasons, such as foot problems. There are many people who can only wear sneakers because of knee or foot ailments.

Oh Donna

You said the L word. Where is your mom? I am going to tell her you said the L word:D;)

From the Princess Cruise Answer book:

Formal:

Evening Gowns, Cocktail Dresses, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket for men

Not only is a tie for men not mentioned, but neither are shirts or shoes or socks. Do I have to wear shoes?

I guess the items are optional. I don't wear socks in warmer climates & since they don't specify what type of shirt I choose a Golf shirt----but I do wear shoes. ;)

Archived