Can we walk to Port of Miami?

hfxdeb

6 of us are going on a 4 day cruise on Carnival Imagination out of Miami. We are a middle-aged couple and 4 20-somethings, all very fit. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. I have read that it is about an $8 cab ride to the dock but is it necessary to take a taxi? Can't we just walk over? We will have wheeled luggage, probably not too much since it is only a 4 day cruise.

6 of us are going on a 4 day cruise on Carnival Imagination out of Miami. We are a middle-aged couple and 4 20-somethings, all very fit. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. I have read that it is about an $8 cab ride to the dock but is it necessary to take a taxi? Can't we just walk over? We will have wheeled luggage, probably not too much since it is only a 4 day cruise.

You could but there is also a very good chance you'd get hit by a car, truck, or other vehicle. It isn't pedestrian friendly but others have walked to port. Would I do this? No way.

WOW.

ITs $8.00 per cab not per person (that sounds really cheap)

We paid $20.00 for a one way cab.

Its a distance from the front gate-- to the ships- and I dont even know if they would allow walkers with luggage to walk that.

Every now and then, someone posts and asks this. Some people say, "Yeah, I walked it and it was fine." To them, my hat is off. Would I do it? No way on God's green Earth. It's an industrial area with truck traffic. It's over a bridge with minimal sidewalks. It's Miami. It's hot. The sun will fry you. The wheels on your luggage will be toast by the time you get there. You will be miserable (or at least, someone in your party will be) and the 4-day cruise may feel like a lifetime. ;)

Aww, I'm making half-hearted jokes, but honestly, please do not walk. It looks like a short distance, but it's actually not. That's why everyone takes a cab (which is really more like 12-15 bucks with tip, just so you know). You can flag down a taxi van, which may be able to accomodate all of you plus your few suitcases. Either way, the cab fare will be well-spent, and I guarantee you, you will be fresher and more excited when you arrive.

Have a great cruise. :D

Every now and then, someone posts and asks this. Some people say, "Yeah, I walked it and it was fine." To them, my hat is off. Would I do it? No way on God's green Earth. It's an industrial area with truck traffic. It's over a bridge with minimal sidewalks. It's Miami. It's hot. The sun will fry you. The wheels on your luggage will be toast by the time you get there. You will be miserable (or at least, someone in your party will be) and the 4-day cruise may feel like a lifetime. ;)

Have a great cruise. :D

I even wonder if they are actual sidewalks or concrete bumpers to keep cars from hitting the railing. While running the Miami Marathon going over the MacArthur Causeway, I don't think they were typical sidewalks. Your luggage could easily get clipped by a passing car.

Get a van cab. WHY would you want to walk? :confused: If cost is an issue split up and share cabs with the other cruisers that will be headed there. I'm sure everyone can come up with a couple dollars each.

let me explain from another angle

The Port of Miami is actually Dodge Island. One end is the cruise ship area and the other is the container terminals, about 60% container and 40% cruise ship by footage and about 80% container and 20% cruise by vehicle traffic I'd venture.

Everything comming on or off Dodge Island goes across one bridge.

This is an INDUSTRIAL area. The roads are built for the TRUCK traffic which is heavy and consistent. You must pass thru a security gate. The entrance is NOT built for foot traffic.

At times I moored my ship in POM (vice our HP at Terminal Island if you R a long time reader and attentive to details) and I STRONGLY encouraged the crew NOT TO WALK in/out of the port to town. We'd provide a shuttle van from BaySide just to NOT have crew walking that bridge.

Ok, ok ... I get the message. Thanks for all your input. It looks so close on some of the pictures, I got the wrong impression. I'll look into one of those cab vans, sounds like a good idea, either that or 2 regular cabs.

^ Nope, the Holiday Inn Port of Miami does not have shuttle service. None of the downtown area hotels do, only airport hotels.

I even wonder if they are actual sidewalks or concrete bumpers to keep cars from hitting the railing.... Your luggage could easily get clipped by a passing car.

Gosh, could you imagine?! :eek: How awful and bizarre! :eek: yet... strangely macabre....

I just called for the HI Cruise Port which was sold out on the dates I wanted. They recommended the HI Airport which has FREE shuttle between AP and Cruise Port.

Just a thought... (AAA rate about $260).

Good Luck

I just called for the HI Cruise Port which was sold out on the dates I wanted. They recommended the HI Airport which has FREE shuttle between AP and Cruise Port.

Just a thought... (AAA rate about $260).

Wow, I would never choose a hotel because of a free shuttle. There are some beautiful areas in Miami to stay - a cab isn't going to break most people, but I wouldn't base my stay on a shuttle to the Port of Miami. Just sayin'.

Archived