hand luggage through LHR

boone2

I have to travel to the UK next month and will be connecting through LHR to a local domestic flight. The last time I went through UK security I had to put my purse into my hand luggage as travellers were only allowed 1 piece, (not 1 pce AND a personal item) I seem to remember reading somewhere that isn't the case anymore and you are allowed both the hand luggage and personal item. Can anyone confrim this for me? Many thanks

Terry

Thanks for your quick reply, I'm flying AC but I seem to remember it was more the security services that wouldn't allow two carry on items, I just solved it by putting my purse into the hand luggage at the security line, I had been expecting it but alot of passengers were having to empty purses as they wouldn't fit in the luggage

Terry

Has been two pieces at LHR and other UK airports for quite a while now.

I have zero problems with a 20" expandable rollerbag and an over-the-shoulder laptop bag.

Thanks, I had a feeling this was the case but wanted to be prepared

Has been two pieces at LHR and other UK airports for quite a while now.
Actually, as far as security is concerned you can now bring as many pieces of cabin baggage as you like. But each piece must be no bigger than the UK size limit, which is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including wheels, handles and external pockets. (This equates to about 22in x 17½in x 9¾in.)

Your airline may impose additional limits. Most airlines limit the number of bags, even though security does not. Some airlines may limit the maximum size to smaller dimensions than security will allow. And most airlines have weight limits as well.

Actually, as far as security is concerned you can now bring as many pieces of cabin baggage as you like. But each piece must be no bigger than the UK size limit, which is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including wheels, handles and external pockets. (This equates to about 22in x 17½in x 9¾in.)

Your airline may impose additional limits. Most airlines limit the number of bags, even though security does not. Some airlines may limit the maximum size to smaller dimensions than security will allow. And most airlines have weight limits as well.

I've had problems with the metal frame used by British Airways to measure carry-ons. We have a bag that fits these dimensions, including wheels, handles, etc. but it won't fit into the metal frame. I'm convinced that someone at BA ordered those frames with outside dimensions of 56cm x 45 cm x 25cm, and the inside is just that bit smaller! :)

Lisa

We have a bag that fits these dimensions, including wheels, handles, etc. but it won't fit into the metal frame.
How were you measuring the bag? One of my carry-on bags, which I use for longer "no checked baggage" trips is just within the limit for depth (25 cm). I had the devil's own job trying to measure that accurately, because of the shape of the bag - it bulges a bit in the middle, like many soft-sided bags do. I found a way of doing it, and verified that it was just within the BA limit. Sizing that in the BA frame, I got the same result. But I could have been misled by many of the measuring techniques I tried initially.

We measured from the furthest sticky-out bit on each side, across to the furthest bit on the other side, if that makes sense. It's hard to be completely accurate, but we thought we were erring on the side of caution. The problem is in the height - the width and the depth were fine, but it was just a titch too long to fit in the frame.

Archived