Should I be alarm when a TA is selling at less than what RCCL offer?

For a saving of $166 between 3 people, would I be better off if I were to book directly with the cruise line and hope for a price adjustment for a September sailing?

Personally if that is all the Savings you are going to get... book with the Cruiseline and be in total control of your booking....Not to worry about any possible surprise "travel agency fees" you may incur and knowing that you can get a rate reduction even after final payment if booking direct with the cruiseline.....Keep us posted with what you end up doing !

This is very interesting, in the UK TA's are always cheaper then booking direct , RC for example give TA's a commision of around 10%+ which they can choose to pass on to customers, if you book direct you pay the higher price , sounds like a different system applies in the US

This is very interesting, in the UK TA's are always cheaper then booking direct , RC for example give TA's a commision of around 10%+ which they can choose to pass on to customers, if you book direct you pay the higher price , sounds like a different system applies in the US

But aren't your cruise deposits NON Refundable when booking thru the UK agencies ?

Pretty much so , and the price will not change whatever RC do to their prices(except for fuel surcharges), in order to get discoun ts yopu have to book thru useless TA's , would much prefer to book direct

Group bookings are certainly eligible for price drops. I have no idea why you think they aren't . Maybe your TA told you so?

The TA probably told the customer no because they didn't want their commission to go down because the customer would now be paying less.

To help me with my decision as to what to do, can any one recall what's the lowest inside cabin fare that you've seen for the Freedom class? If I'm already getting close to rock bottom prices, I think I will book with this agent assuming she can provide the explanations to the questions that every one included in the thread. Otherwise, I'll be booking with RCCL.

Thanks in advance.

No, not right. The TA can call in and get the same price reduction. As long as its not just for "new bookings"

I stand corrected - got a little confused. My brother booked with a TA in a group and the thing that he wanted to do was to upgrade the type of cabin with the decrease in the price of the cabin he had booked. He couldn't do it because the agency with the group space didn't have any of that type left in their inventory.

Again, my apologies for the mis-information.

Peter

To help me with my decision as to what to do, can any one recall what's the lowest inside cabin fare that you've seen for the Freedom class? If I'm already getting close to rock bottom prices, I think I will book with this agent assuming she can provide the explanations to the questions that every one included in the thread. Otherwise, I'll be booking with RCCL.

Thanks in advance.

Too many variables regarding the lowest pricing i.e. when booked, variance in each week of sailing rates, how booked, what rate code was used, C & A discounts.....group booking, etc....

If you are comfortable with the price, and the TA is willing to adjust your fares (if applicable to your sailing date and before or after final payment date passes)...has no fee's for changes, cancellations, rate reductions, or if has those types of fee's, you are willing to accept, etc... just book with the TA you are comfortable with NOT ONLY FOR THE PRICE, but knowing they will handle your booking with expertise', be there to answer questions you may have and provide you with a good level of CUSTOMER SERVICE. If that TA meets all YOUR qualifications.... BOOK IT and watch for lower rates to come up and contact them for the rate adjustments !

Keep us posted and HAPPY Cruising ! :D

Group bookings are certainly eligible for price drops. I have no idea why you think they aren't . Maybe your TA told you so?

Hehehehe...no, no, I was totally AGREEING with your post that they're eligible for price drops. We are a group, and actually got MANY price drops, before and after final payment, and was even able to switch from outside to balcony due to great work by our TA (and a little magic from RCI)!

Thanks for the information everyone. I have asked the questions posted. And the agent was able to answer them to my satisfaction.

Apparently, the agency was running a "promotion" on this particular sailing, thus they were able to provide a lower price than everyone else, which includes RCCL itself. The "discount" will be applied after and reflected on the invoice issue by their office. Therefore, the booking confirmation from RCCL will be the rate posted on their website.

I suppose the bad will be the price drop. There will be no charges for making changes as a result of the price drop. However, the price drop has to result in a lower price than what I'm paying right now. Therefore, if there is any price drop, it will be the agency who will benefit the most as their "discount" will be decrease as well. I suppose the plus on this is they will have an incentive to make the call on my behalf as any price drop will benefit them as well.

Thanks for the information everyone. I have asked the questions posted. And the agent was able to answer them to my satisfaction.

Apparently, the agency was running a "promotion" on this particular sailing, thus they were able to provide a lower price than everyone else, which includes RCCL itself. The "discount" will be applied after and reflected on the invoice issue by their office. Therefore, the booking confirmation from RCCL will be the rate posted on their website.

I suppose the bad will be the price drop. There will be no charges for making changes as a result of the price drop. However, the price drop has to result in a lower price than what I'm paying right now. Therefore, if there is any price drop, it will be the agency who will benefit the most as their "discount" will be decrease as well. I suppose the plus on this is they will have an incentive to make the call on my behalf as any price drop will benefit them as well.

What they're doing is not permitted by RCCL. Should they find out, you'll have to find a different agency to book with.

Peter

A promotion?? How does that answer satisfy you?

Agencies are not allowed to offer "promotions"

Another thing. When you pay them RCL should be on the credit card, not the agency.

RCCL does not allow TA's to discount their cruises so all prices should be the same unless the TA is holding group space. Make sure you are seeing prices with ALL the taxes and fees added in.

I completely agree with this. My cruise only TA quotes me prices that at first glance are higher than some online rates. BUT, my TA always includes all port charges, taxes, fees, etc in her prices. Many of the online agencies are giving the base price, not including taxes, port charges, fees, etc. So, definitely be careful that your price quotes are all including the same things.
I know for a fact this is not true. Last year a online TA was offering an RCL cruise at great price (gty balcony less with air then without air) with air. I tried to book it online on the RCI web site and when I got to the last screen, I got a notice that air was not available (all other gateways were much more). So maybe the price is the same but you cannot book it. So you folks believe what you want but I know the real story,

I know for a fact this is not true. Last year a online TA was offering an RCL cruise at great price (gty balcony less with air then without air) with air. I tried to book it online on the RCI web site and when I got to the last screen, I got a notice that air was not available (all other gateways were much more). So maybe the price is the same but you cannot book it. So you folks believe what you want but I know the real story,

that is that particular TA, if they are playing loose and free with the rules that is their issue.

Another thing. When you pay them RCL should be on the credit card, not the agency.

And I bet this is what the agency is doing.... taking clients c.card and the charge is made to the TA's agency, then the TA is funding the cruise out of the agencies account and in the end, reducing their commission.

OP... better make sure this agency is on the up and up and you have documentation for everything. There was another agency that pulled this stunt and went belly up while leaving some clients in a terrible position regarding monies sent to them and no cruise !!!

Good Luck.

yes they are when they are sanctioned by RCCL or whomever is offering them. Large agencies get promotions to offer all the time for all the different lines.

I booked my 14th cruise today and everyone of them was through an online TA. In every instance the price was less than booking direct. In every instance my credit card was charged by the cruiseline not the TA, and everytime the total was the price I agreed on. If there's something shady going on, I can't see it.

I will let everyone knows what happened and I will watch my credit card to see whether the cruise is being charged by the agency or RCL.

I also inquire about another sailing in November as I would have prefer to cruise outside of the hurrican season. And the "out the door" amount would have costed out to about the same as the RCL rates for the September sailing I booked before the "promotional discount". However, the price that they provided was what RCL and other agents are offering. So it does appear that they may have a group or some other form of discount for this particular September sailing.

If it is charge by RCL and the agency is able to provide a booking number, should I be concern?

Thanks in advance, as this is the first time that I'm booking a cruise using an online agent.

Ok..... I may be jumping the gun here, but I'm somewhat concern, I looked into my CC statement online, and noticed that the deposit I left is recorded as "CRUISE PAYMENT VANCOUVER CD", and the merchant name field is call "cruise payment" and the merchant city is "Vancouver".

Before I call the agent and inquire about this, I will like to ask fellow Canadian on this board who have booked in Canadian dollar, will you be able to confirm that this is norm? Or the norm is Royal Caribbean should appear in the credit card statement instead?

I will let everyone knows what happened and I will watch my credit card to see whether the cruise is being charged by the agency or RCL.

I also inquire about another sailing in November as I would have prefer to cruise outside of the hurrican season. And the "out the door" amount would have costed out to about the same as the RCL rates for the September sailing I booked before the "promotional discount". However, the price that they provided was what RCL and other agents are offering. So it does appear that they may have a group or some other form of discount for this particular September sailing.

If it is charge by RCL and the agency is able to provide a booking number, should I be concern?

Thanks in advance, as this is the first time that I'm booking a cruise using an online agent.

November is still hurricane season

• 1 month later...
Ok..... I may be jumping the gun here, but I'm somewhat concern, I looked into my CC statement online, and noticed that the deposit I left is recorded as "CRUISE PAYMENT VANCOUVER CD", and the merchant name field is call "cruise payment" and the merchant city is "Vancouver".

Before I call the agent and inquire about this, I will like to ask fellow Canadian on this board who have booked in Canadian dollar, will you be able to confirm that this is norm? Or the norm is Royal Caribbean should appear in the credit card statement instead?

I'm a Canadian, I haven't booked in CAD dollar before, but all my bookings through TAs have always shown "Royal Caribbean" in my credit card statement.

By the way, one of the reasons I've always booked in USD, is that I'm hoping to pay my final balance at a time when the exchange is in my favor. Now of course, it could go the other way, but that's a risk I'm taking.

Another thing to keep in mind about group space. Once booked, you're stuck with that cabin at that price. If prices go down, too bad. The agency can move you around within the cabins in their "group" but they won't honor price reductions.

Peter

On our recent Mariner cruise, we were booked in 'group space.' Our reservations were made a year out. Over the course of the months preceeding our cruise, we received a Senior discount, resident discount & after final payment, a price drop. All of this was done under our 'group' reservation designation & through RCCL.

I'm a Canadian, I haven't booked in CAD dollar before, but all my bookings through TAs have always shown "Royal Caribbean" in my credit card statement.

By the way, one of the reasons I've always booked in USD, is that I'm hoping to pay my final balance at a time when the exchange is in my favor. Now of course, it could go the other way, but that's a risk I'm taking.

I suppose because I am a risk adverse person, that's why I booked in Canadian dollar instead as at the time, the exchange rate that RCL is offering is comparable to what the banks are offering. And in case I need to cancel, I eliminate any currency gain/loss with my deposit.

I was sort of worried, so I went back to check my 2004 credit card statement when I booked my cruise direct with RCL and also paid in Canadian dollar. To my relieve, it did show "CRUISE PAYMENT VANCOUVER CD", so everything is fine and dandy with the current booking. And the TA wanted to confirm my address so they can ship me my documents for my upcoming cruise in September.

What concerns me now is when I tried to contact investor relations to get my $100 OBC, I was told I'm now allowed as the agent applied a Balcony discount on my Inside Cabin. :confused: Does that make sense? I have sent an email to the TA to inquire about this. Last thing I want to happen is come boarding time, I'm stuck with an extra bill because they have applied a discount that I'm not entitled to. Especially the prices have went up on my cruise.

I have booked with 2 online discount travel agencies. The one I use the most usually has a lower price for RCI and Celebrity cruises than booking directly with the cruise lines. Their "value added credits/dollars off" can be used as OBC or to reduce the cruise price. I have used this agency for 6 RCI cruises and an upcoming Celebrity one, and have never had any problems.

Archived