I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Biaria--I have a question for you about some souvenirs I bought.

I bought several table cloths that were hand embroidered. If you turned them over you could tell they were not machine done. I paid 15 euro for each of the cloths. That is VERY inexpensive by US standards for hand work. I am sorry I did not buy more of them to give as gifts. I gave 2 of them to family at Christmas and they were thrilled.

The next day we went to Tenerife and saw hand embroidered cloths for 150-200 euro. :eek: What a difference.

My question--[ yep, I am finally getting to it. :p] Is hand work/embroidery a typical souvenir from Madeira, like wine? Is it usually this inexpensive--or were we just fortunate?

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. I scanned through the 50 pages but did not see anything on this but I could have missed it. I read a cruise review recently by a passenger who hired a taxi to take them around the island. Instead of the cable car to Monte, they were taken to a smaller gondola that went straight down to the beach. Can you tell me anything about this – where it might be?

I was in Funchal a couple of years ago but it was such a quick stop, only a few hours, so I took a ship’s excursion just to see as much as possible. The observation deck at Cabo Girao was under construction at that time, to my great disappointment. This spring when we stop (Monday, 5 May) it will be for longer. Is it fairly easy to get a taxi to just take you around to various sights, maybe 3 or 4 hours? I have a few places in mind, but I am looking for a taxi driver who would be able to suggest things as well. Do you know how much something like this would cost? I will be traveling by myself.

Thank you for all the wonderful information you are providing about this fairly unknown but beautiful place.

I think I found it. Elevador Faja dos Padres? Looks terrifying!

Hi SandyAtSea,

You're welcome :-)

I'm glad that you found the name of the place, because there's more than one of those gondola's and I was wondering which one could it be!

There's always taxis lined up at the harbor whenever there's a cruise ship docked, but their prices vary between reasonable to quite outrageous. To be on the safe side I recommend that you make your tour arrangements in advance.

Biaria--I have a question for you about some souvenirs I bought.

I bought several table cloths that were hand embroidered. If you turned them over you could tell they were not machine done. I paid 15 euro for each of the cloths. That is VERY inexpensive by US standards for hand work. I am sorry I did not buy more of them to give as gifts. I gave 2 of them to family at Christmas and they were thrilled.

The next day we went to Tenerife and saw hand embroidered cloths for 150-200 euro. :eek: What a difference.

My question--[ yep, I am finally getting to it. :p] Is hand work/embroidery a typical souvenir from Madeira, like wine? Is it usually this inexpensive--or were we just fortunate?

Hi DragonOfTheSeas,

Yes, Madeira is very famous for hand embroidery, but a genuine Madeiran hand embroidered tablecloth is way much more expensive than what you paid for yours. Depending on the size and how much embroidery is on it, a tablecloth may vary between 200 and 3000 euros. I'm sorry to have to say this, but your tablecloths must have been made somewhere else.

The real Madeiran hand embroidery always comes with a stamp of approval as you can see here: http://www.bordadomadeira.pt/certification-seal/menu-id-35.html

Biaria,

Just back from our cruise. Weather was a serious issue unfortunately. We only had one day in Madeira, instead of the overnight, so we only did the Valley of the Nuns tour which we had booked independently. Worked out fine, we have no idea what the Referta walk would have been like after the landslides, so decided to play it safe. After the tour we walked around town, which was short but enjoyable with the Xmas market and nativity displays, all on a gorgeous day. Hopefully we will return to Madeira one day and visit a levada!

Thanks for your help. :)

Hi Alphen,

Yes, hopefully on your next visit to Madeira you'll be able to do a Levada walk.

I'm sure you enjoyed your day all the same. The Nun's Valley is one of the island's highlights and with the all Christmas decorations and things in town it was worth it to spend some time in Funchal.

You're welcome and enjoy your weekend!

Hi DragonOfTheSeas,

Yes, Madeira is very famous for hand embroidery, but a genuine Madeiran hand embroidered tablecloth is way much more expensive than what you paid for yours. Depending on the size and how much embroidery is on it, a tablecloth may vary between 200 and 3000 euros. I'm sorry to have to say this, but your tablecloths must have been made somewhere else.

The real Madeiran hand embroidery always comes with a stamp of approval as you can see here: http://www.bordadomadeira.pt/certification-seal/menu-id-35.html

OK--I am not unhappy. I got nice tablecloths [small square variety] that are hand embroidered from Madeira--even if they were not made there. They will remind me of your beautiful island. :p [if you turn them over you can see yarn going from one flower to another in a random way and even a few knots. Someone did them by hand. It was likely from Bangladesh or some such place]

It is like the hat DH bought in Alaska. It says Alaska on it--but, I am sure it was made in China. I do not think you can find a hat made in Alaska.

However, the next time I am in Madeira I will look for the seal you mentioned and get myself a genuine linen. Maybe a handkerchief--I should be able to afford that. :)

PS--I think yours is an important post. I had not seen a mention of this seal before. Thanks for all of your help. You are a real gem!!

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Hi DragonOfTheSeas,

You're right, you bought beautiful hand embroidered tablecloths and that's what matters :)

Yes, this is the first time that I'm talking about this stamp of approval, so I think it's a good idea to make another post highlighting it.

All the best to you!

Hi DragonOfTheSeas,

You're right, you bought beautiful hand embroidered tablecloths and that's what matters :)

Yes, this is the first time that I'm talking about this stamp of approval, so I think it's a good idea to make another post highlighting it.

All the best to you!

I went back and added your comments to my mini-review of Madeira. Thank you for helping me be as accurate as possible. :)

• 1 month later...

Dear Biaria,

Thank you for all the information you are providing. We will be in Funchal from 9 until 6 in April and never have been there before. There is so much to see and do that it is, indeed, difficult to make a choice.

We were thinking of taking the Monte cable car round trip (we don't especially appreciate gardens but would enjoy the cable car). Is there anything else at the top in addition to Our Lady of Monte's Church? We also would like to explore Funchal zona velha and the market. Other things that interested us were Pico do Barcelos and Camara de Lobos. Of course, all this is too much for one day. What would you suggest?

Many thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Hello Nelda,

You're welcome! :)

You have enough time to see everything you're refering to. A taxi taken in town is cheaper than at the docks, so I recommend that you walk from the harbor to the cable car station, do your round trip, explore the Old Town (Zona Velha)and the market then take a taxi to show you Pico dos Barcelos and Camara de Lobos.

Apart from the church in Monte, all you can see is gardens.

Edited by biaria

Hello Nelda,

You're welcome! :)

You have enough time to see everything you're refering to. A taxi taken in town is cheaper than at the docks, so I recommend that you walk from the harbor to the cable car station, do your round trip, explore the Old Town (Zona Velha)and the market then take a taxi to show you Pico dos Barcelos and Camara de Lobos.

Apart from the church in Monte, all you can see is gardens.

Thank you, yet again, Briara. A few more questions, if you don't mind?

We most likely will go to Pico dos Barcelos and Camara de Lobos first, so that we are close to the port later in the day and can easily get back to the ship. How far is the walk from the ship into town for a taxi (you mentioned that taxis are less expensive in town)? And should we ask the driver to wait for us in each town and then bring us back to Funchal? Or are there taxis available in Pico dos Barcelos and Camara de Lobos?

(I can see that we'll have to return to Madeira --- so much to do, so little time!)

Hi Biaria:

Thank you for answering questions for us. I was in Funchal a couple of years ago and we had the best "arroz caldoso" (this is what we call it in Spanish, not sure what it was in Portuguese). Our favorite part of the ports is trying local food. Can you recommend a restaurant that is for locals?

Thanks

Tish in EC

Hello Tish in EC,

You're welcome. I'm imagining that you may be refering to what we call "risoto".

As much as I want to help you, I'm not allowed to recommend any private local businesses in particular. I'm sorry about this. But well... to find a good restaurant for locals... just pay attention to who is inside... if they look like locals and if there's a good number of clients, you're in the right place!

Hello again Nelda,

Of course I don't mind about the questions - in fact I'm so happy that I can assist you.

I see your point about doing your taxi tour first. Yes, it really pays off to start your tour in town rather than at the docks - in town you can expect to pay about 40 euros for a visit to Pico dos Barcelos and Camara de Lobos.

From the cruise ship to the nearest taxi rank in town (near MacDonalds) may take you 30 minutes walking, however you may find taxis on the street right outside the port area and these may well offer the same prices as the other city taxis. Anyway as you now have 40 euros as reference, you can easily negotiate. You'll see these taxis after walking for about 15 minutes from your cruise ship, give or take. Please don't mistake these taxis for the more expensive ones that you will see lined up right outside the platform at the docks just after a 5 minute walk.

Yes, definitely use the same taxi for your entire tour, specially as you're not staying for too long in any of those places.

Oh... Nelda, there's something I didn't yet mention about Monte - it's where the well known Toboggan ride is based. It's a 2km downhill run in a wicker basket and it's quite fun. If it appeals to you, you can ask your driver to take you to the start of the ride, collect you afterwards and to take you back up to Monte from where you can then take your cable car ride down to town only, instead of taking the round trip. As far as prices are concerned, the Toboggan ride is 15 euros per person and the cable car ride is 10 euros per person one way and 15 euros for the round trip.

Yes, Madeira has lots of other beautiful "don't miss" places, so you must definitely come back. Enjoy!

Thank you, yet again, Briara. A few more questions, if you don't mind?

We most likely will go to Pico dos Barcelos and Camara de Lobos first, so that we are close to the port later in the day and can easily get back to the ship. How far is the walk from the ship into town for a taxi (you mentioned that taxis are less expensive in town)? And should we ask the driver to wait for us in each town and then bring us back to Funchal? Or are there taxis available in Pico dos Barcelos and Camara de Lobos?

(I can see that we'll have to return to Madeira --- so much to do, so little time!)

One more question, please, Biaria (and I apologize for mis-spelling your name in my last message): What should the taxi(s) cost for that trip?

Hello Biaria.

I wonder if you could us.

We will be in Madeira next week and would like to do the cable car to Monte and the botanical gardens and the toboggan ride. Could you tell us if we get the cable car to the Monte can we then get to the Gardens by walking or do we have to get the other cable to the gardens and then back to Monte to do the toboggan ride.

Your help as to which way round to do this would be much appreciated.

Ian & Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Biaria,

We decided not to go to Pico dos Barcelos and concentrate only on Camara de Lobos and Funchal for this trip. Can you tell me the approximate cost of a taxi from the cruise ship (or the MacDonald's in town) to Camara de Lobos, then back to Monte to the top of the cable car? Many thanks.

Hello Biaria.

I wonder if you could us.

We will be in Madeira next week and would like to do the cable car to Monte and the botanical gardens and the toboggan ride. Could you tell us if we get the cable car to the Monte can we then get to the Gardens by walking or do we have to get the other cable to the gardens and then back to Monte to do the toboggan ride.

Your help as to which way round to do this would be much appreciated.

Ian & Julie

Dear Ian and Julie,

It's only today that I realized that you had posted this question for me. I'm so sorry as now it's too late to help you.

I'm still answering your question because it may be helpfull to other people.

To reach the real Botanical Gardens from Monte, you'll need to take a second cable car, however in Monte you can visit the Monte Tropical Gardens instead, which are very beautiful.

I hope you enjoyed your day visiting Madeira.

Hi Biaria

I am wondering if you could please give me any information on the Lido on the promenade. Is it easy to get to from the port?

Many thanks for any advice.

Hi wilson4,

The Lido area is not that near to the port, but if you are good walkers you will enjoy walking all the way there. The Lido swimming pool was damaged some years ago and it hasn't been repaired yet, but the Lido promenade is in perfect condition.

Dear Biaria,

We decided not to go to Pico dos Barcelos and concentrate only on Camara de Lobos and Funchal for this trip. Can you tell me the approximate cost of a taxi from the cruise ship (or the MacDonald's in town) to Camara de Lobos, then back to Monte to the top of the cable car? Many thanks.

Hello Nelda,

If you take your taxi at the harbor you'll be charged something like 50 euros, if you take it in town the price will drop to about 40 euros.