I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

I returned last week and wanted to thank you for the advice. We did everything like we wrote except we took the taxi and got ripped off because we didn't want to wait for the bus. ( I could never get that bus site to work on my iPad so I wasn't sure when it would be around again). Thanks again for all your help. I have an awesome picture of all of us on the Toboggan so thanks for letting us know it was possible.

Hello bearette, you're welcome :-)

It's a pity the bus website didn't work on your iPad, because the taxi drivers working at the end of the toboggan ride always overcharge. Nothing can be done about it now, so better forget and stay with the good memories.

Have a nice day!

Alphen, looking back on my posts I noticed that I told you that the toboggan ride is open on Sundays. Well, actually at present they are only operational on Sundays when they have bookings from the cruise liners.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

My parents (aged 74) are arriving in Funchal on the Queen Mary on 14th January and I would like to arrange a tour for them as a Christmas present. My dad is very fit but my mum has bad knees and not good at walking long distances. I don't know much about Madeira or what there is to see (eg at this time of year are the botanical gardens worth visiting). When we cruised the Eastern Med last summer we arranged a private small group tour of Ephesus which worked well - it was not like being on a big bus waiting for everyone but it wan't as expensive as a private taxi - there were 10 of us (maximum number was 12). Are there any companies which do this? I have only seen taxis mentioned.

Thank you

Hi HelloKittysMum,

Yes, you can make arrangements for a group tour on Madeira Island. I can't mention anyone but you will find them on Google.

Our winter temperatures are never too low so our gardens always have flowers of some kind.

Madeira has lots of natural beauty, so a sightseeing tour is something not to be missed.

All the best.

Biaria,

Merry Christmas to you and your husband!

We remember our trip to Madeira in 2011 and have recommended a stop in Funcahl to others including our sister-in-law who will be cruising to Canary Island and Madeira in February. I asked her to contact you via this forum but I will also provide her with additional contact information that I have.

We will be cruising again in 2014 but this time to the Baltic. A return to your wonderful island is still on our list!

With fond memories and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

Jim and Pam

Hello

My parents (aged 74) are arriving in Funchal on the Queen Mary on 14th January and I would like to arrange a tour for them as a Christmas present. My dad is very fit but my mum has bad knees and not good at walking long distances. I don't know much about Madeira or what there is to see (eg at this time of year are the botanical gardens worth visiting). When we cruised the Eastern Med last summer we arranged a private small group tour of Ephesus which worked well - it was not like being on a big bus waiting for everyone but it wan't as expensive as a private taxi - there were 10 of us (maximum number was 12). Are there any companies which do this? I have only seen taxis mentioned.

Thank you

Hello--we had a group tour while we were in Madeira. We had such a good time. I did a small review. We used Madeira Happy Tours and our guide was Sergio. [Local residents are not allowed to recommend a tour operator. You can see why Cruise Critic would discourage that. However, cruisers can give a recommendation if someone asks. So, thanks for asking. :D ]

This is the link to my review-- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943596&highlight=mini

Biaria,

Merry Christmas to you and your husband!

We remember our trip to Madeira in 2011 and have recommended a stop in Funcahl to others including our sister-in-law who will be cruising to Canary Island and Madeira in February. I asked her to contact you via this forum but I will also provide her with additional contact information that I have.

We will be cruising again in 2014 but this time to the Baltic. A return to your wonderful island is still on our list!

With fond memories and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

Jim and Pam

Hi Jim and Pam,

I must agree with you - Madeira is worth seeing because it's soooo beautiful! And I'm glad to know that you plan to return one day :-)

A Happy Christmas and a Good New Year to you too.

Hello--we had a group tour while we were in Madeira. We had such a good time. I did a small review. We used Madeira Happy Tours and our guide was Sergio. [Local residents are not allowed to recommend a tour operator. You can see why Cruise Critic would discourage that. However, cruisers can give a recommendation if someone asks. So, thanks for asking. :D ]

This is the link to my review-- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943596&highlight=mini

Hi DragonOfTheSeas,

I read your interesting and very informative review about Madeira and I loved it. Nice photos too. Thank you for posting!

I just need to rectify something: Madeira Island does not belong to the Azores. We are the Autonomous Region of Madeira, an arquipelago that consists of the Island of Madeira itself, the Island of Porto Santo, the Desert Islands and the Sauvage Islands.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hi DragonOfTheSeas,

I read your interesting and very informative review about Madeira and I loved it. Nice photos too. Thank you for posting!

I just need to rectify something: Madeira Island does not belong to the Azores. We are the Autonomous Region of Madeira, an arquipelago that consists of the Island of Madeira itself, the Island of Porto Santo, the Desert Islands and the Sauvage Islands.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Yes, I realize that now. :o However, there is no way for me to go back and change that. I wish it was like other sites where you can edit your own posting.

I will go back and add a posting. If people read to the end they will see that.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Biaria, I will be in Madeira on the Disney Magic in May of this year. I've skimmed through all of the posts on this thread, and after reading these, I think I want to take the Yellow Bus sightseeing tour (yellow tour), and after the tour, I believe you said that if you pay for the Yellow Bus tour, you can also use the city bus. Is that correct? If so, I would like to go up to Monte on the city bus, for the toboggan ride. I know the toboggan ride stops way short of town, and from that point, I would like to take the city bus back to old town, to walk around, and I want to check out the market. In town, where will I get on the city bus to Monte? And when I get off the toboggan, where do I catch the city bus back to town? Last question, what is the difference between the Yellow bus, and the Red bus? Thanks, jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

That's correct, if you buy the Yellow HOHO Bus ticket you can use Horarios do Funchal public transport with that same ticket.

Due to major construction work at the seaside area of town, the bus stop for bus #21 that goes up to Monte now departs from the street Rua 31 de janeiro. Having a map will help you get there or you can ask fo directions.

After the toboggan ride, the bus stop is very close to the end of the ride.

The difference between the Yellow Bus and the Red Bus is that the Yelow Bus is public and the Red Bus belongs to a private company.

Enjoy your day on Madeira Island.

Hi Biaria,

We will be in Madeira on Reflection in October of this year.

I've read the review of DragonOfTheSeas (Thanks for a great review and pictures!) and probably will use Madeira Happy Tours. Which of the tours would you recommend (since we can't cover the whole island in one day):

West, East, South, North Island tour or Nun's Valley?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. I scanned through the 50 pages but did not see anything on this but I could have missed it. I read a cruise review recently by a passenger who hired a taxi to take them around the island. Instead of the cable car to Monte, they were taken to a smaller gondola that went straight down to the beach. Can you tell me anything about this – where it might be?

I was in Funchal a couple of years ago but it was such a quick stop, only a few hours, so I took a ship’s excursion just to see as much as possible. The observation deck at Cabo Girao was under construction at that time, to my great disappointment. This spring when we stop (Monday, 5 May) it will be for longer. Is it fairly easy to get a taxi to just take you around to various sights, maybe 3 or 4 hours? I have a few places in mind, but I am looking for a taxi driver who would be able to suggest things as well. Do you know how much something like this would cost? I will be traveling by myself.

Thank you for all the wonderful information you are providing about this fairly unknown but beautiful place.

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. I scanned through the 50 pages but did not see anything on this but I could have missed it. I read a cruise review recently by a passenger who hired a taxi to take them around the island. Instead of the cable car to Monte, they were taken to a smaller gondola that went straight down to the beach. Can you tell me anything about this – where it might be?

I think I found it. Elevador Faja dos Padres? Looks terrifying!

I was concerned about where to get the bus after the toboggan, but where they drop you off (by the restaurant and gift shop) you walk down the street maybe 10 feet and on the right are a million taxis waiting and the bus stop on the other side of the street. They totally rip you off for the taxi so I wish we would have waited for the bus ( 20 euro to go anywhere in town). I had two kids in tow so we just bit the bullet, but all I did was complain afterwards about how we should have waited for the bus. The tobbogan is great fun.

Hi Biaria,

We will be in Madeira on Reflection in October of this year.

I've read the review of DragonOfTheSeas (Thanks for a great review and pictures!) and probably will use Madeira Happy Tours. Which of the tours would you recommend (since we can't cover the whole island in one day):

West, East, South, North Island tour or Nun's Valley?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I am glad you found the review helpful. It was fun to relive our trip when I wrote the review. Madeira is a beautiful island--have a great trip!

I agree that the tour of the west side was very good. Madeira Happy Tours provided an excellent experience.