Mariner Alaska - Currency

Boo Boo

Hi

During the Mariner Alaskan cruise, do all ports take US dollars or do you need Canadian dollars too?

I am sure that having SOME Canadian dollars is a good idea (for emergencies and for Vancouver), but would like a feel of how much to take.

Thanks

Boo

All the ports except Vancouver are in the US on most of the Alaska cruises, hence you will need US dollars. However, you will need some Canadian money for use in Vancouver--taxi, etc. Haven't been there in a couple of years. The taxis may take credit cards now. If they do, you could probably get along with no Canadian money.

Have just checked the itinerary (http://www.rssc.co.uk/cruises/MAR090722/itinerary.aspx) and, yes, all stops are in the US. That makes things simple. Although one of our excursions MAY require us to take our passports (since it pops into Canada?).

We will have one night in Vancouver post-cruise, so will ensure that we have some $CAN for then.

Boo

We did the northbound route in '06 with one night in Vancouver (Westin near Stanley Park). We didn't need or have CAD. Our cab from the airport accepted credit cards, as did hotel, restaurants and airport shops we were at.

What a relief.. I was afraid (when I read the title of the thread) that the OP wanted to know what currecy Alaska accepts!!! LOL :D

Host Dan

No, I have a rather good grasp of geography.... ;)

I can't BELIEVE that you get Americans asking where to get their Alaskan Currency...?! That is so funny (there is a joke, outside the US, that many (not all!) Americans are not aware of the world outside of the US... so that takes the biscuit) :D

Boo

I thought the same thing. A friend of ours used to work in a bank in Alaska and was amazed how many American's stopped in to exchange their money into Alaskan currency:confused:

Now THAT is funny!!! :D

Archived