Buffet for Dinner Instead of Main Dining

1 suit, 2 Dockers, 3 dress shirts, 2 ties, 4 polo shirts, 3 T-shirts, 2 shorts, 1 other long pants, 2 swim suits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, socks & underwear. It all fits in one checked bag (43 lbs) plus one carry on (18 lbs.). This is for a 7 day cruise. Add a polo shirt, socks and underwear for each additional day, if cruise is longer. Do not pack denim, since it is very heavy.

2 formal dresses, one sparkly top, one skirt, 3 Capris, 4 casual tops, 2 shorts, 3 T-shirts, 2 swimsuits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr sandals, socks, underwear and panty hose. This all fits into a checked bag (41 lbs) and a carry on (20 lbs) as well.

This is for a 7 day cruise. No problems with airlines and easy to maneuver to and from airport.

You might rearrange 2 -3 lbs from your checked bag to the carry on to make the 40 lb limit.

You can always wear a few of polo shirts, 2 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, 3 pair of underwear & a swim suit on the plane to reduce your weight. :D

For those that choose to eat in the buffet for dinner instead of the main dining area (assuming somebody out there does this) do you find the food okay many nights over? I don't want to miss out on too much but the group I'm traveling with (myself included) are not much for dressing up so we are likely to just do the buffet every night depending on responses here.

This is not meant to be a "dress code" discussion. I respect the requirements in the main dining area thus our planning on the buffet most if not all evenings. We are very casual dressers and don't want to have to be overly concerned with changing out of shorts if we so choose. We are planning the port intensive Southern Cruise on the AOS so may often be going to dinner directly from a day in port.

Thoughts on the buffet? Will it get old real quick? Is there only the buffet available in the evening?

We've cruised on AOS many times on the route you're talking about. The cruise is very port intensive so we ate in the buffet every single night. AOS does the best job of night buffet of any cruise ship we've been on including several on RCCL and Celebrity. There is a sushi station every night. Several nights the chef does made to order specialty dishes such as stir fry. This taste much better and hotter than the food in the MDR. Several nights there are also specialty desserts such as cherry jubilee. You'll enjoy it.

I have no idea why we didn't have a table assignment. That was the first time that ever happened.

As for staying on topic I believe you made a statement about tipping and I responded to that. You said ..."If you don't tip the MDR wait staff you are not tipping any of the dining staff". It seemed to me that you were berating folks who have a different viewpoint on tipping than you do. And you are correct, it was unwelcome. However, I may have misinterpreted your intent and if so then I appologize.

My misunderstanding. Thanks for "understanding", Ocean Boy! I was having a frustrating moment seeing all the negativity on these boards lately... I come here to think about my upcoming cruises, ask some questions, have fun dreaming about cruising - but lately that has sometimes been diificult for me to do!

Oh no, I am going off topic here...;)

Makes sense not to ask for a table you don't plan to use. I wonder why you didn't have one assigned???

Actually you get quite a few stuff at the buffet that is also available in MD!

I agree with caribbeanboy. While we love the main dining room, my sister and I, on occasion have eaten in the Windjammer at night. You will find that you can dress as casual as you want (no swimsuits but shorts and a tee-shirt is just fine). They have linen table cloths on most of the tables, low lighting for a nice atmosphere and the menu is basically the same foods as you will find in the MDR that night. Except on lobster night.

My misunderstanding. Thanks for "understanding", Ocean Boy! I was having a frustrating moment seeing all the negativity on these boards lately... I come here to think about my upcoming cruises, ask some questions, have fun dreaming about cruising - but lately that has sometimes been diificult for me to do!

Oh no, I am going off topic here...;)

Makes sense not to ask for a table you don't plan to use. I wonder why you didn't have one assigned???

No problem. Misunderstandings and misinterpretations happen.... and throw in a little side tracking for good measure. Keep dreaming about the cruises. The anticipation of an upcoming cruise is half of the fun of the trip!

We've cruised on AOS many times on the route you're talking about. The cruise is very port intensive so we ate in the buffet every single night. AOS does the best job of night buffet of any cruise ship we've been on including several on RCCL and Celebrity. There is a sushi station every night. Several nights the chef does made to order specialty dishes such as stir fry. This taste much better and hotter than the food in the MDR. Several nights there are also specialty desserts such as cherry jubilee. You'll enjoy it.

Thanks so much, this is exactly our thinking on this cruise. I feel so much more excited now which I"m sure sounds lame but being able to dine in casual clothes (and enjoying it) is really important to our group so this is very reassuring.

Thanks to all others for sharing their thoughts and expeirences on WJ. I see a lot of threads asking how dressy you have to be in the MD area and I really didn't want this thread to be slanted that way as that has been discsussed so many times and I am not here to challenge the rules (or ask what others might think of me if I did :-) :D

For those that choose to eat in the buffet for dinner instead of the main dining area (assuming somebody out there does this) do you find the food okay many nights over? I don't want to miss out on too much but the group I'm traveling with (myself included) are not much for dressing up so we are likely to just do the buffet every night depending on responses here.

This is not meant to be a "dress code" discussion. I respect the requirements in the main dining area thus our planning on the buffet most if not all evenings. We are very casual dressers and don't want to have to be overly concerned with changing out of shorts if we so choose. We are planning the port intensive Southern Cruise on the AOS so may often be going to dinner directly from a day in port.

Thoughts on the buffet? Will it get old real quick? Is there only the buffet available in the evening?

Off AOS southern Caribbean a couple of weeks ago. Ate in Windjammer only one night. Very disappointed in food.

The other 6 nights did MTD at 7:30. Perfect time. For sail-away each night, we ordered room service (international cheese plate) and drinks. We enjoyed those on our balcony, before dinner, enjoyed the sail-away. We did not concern ourselves too much with the "dress code". We simply wore dress slacks and a nice top each night. MTD service is very quick and dining room food good.

Thanks so much, this is exactly our thinking on this cruise. I feel so much more excited now which I"m sure sounds lame but being able to dine in casual clothes (and enjoying it) is really important to our group so this is very reassuring.

Thanks to all others for sharing their thoughts and expeirences on WJ. I see a lot of threads asking how dressy you have to be in the MD area and I really didn't want this thread to be slanted that way as that has been discsussed so many times and I am not here to challenge the rules (or ask what others might think of me if I did :-) :D

As for tipping, I always do prepaid tips which go straight to the dining room staff. Apparently if you do anything besides this it upsets the tip system because each wait staff member rotates in and out of the Windjammer. As for dressing up, we're heading out to Alaska next week on Radiance and I'm not taking anything except jeans. Too bad the night buffet on Radiance is not nearly as good as AOS but that's another story...

I have a quick question. having been on the NCL a while back. we eat at the main dining room anytime we wanted. also they let us order as much as we wanted would RCL be opposed to me ordering 2 entrees ? like when I was on NCL I wanted to try the duck so i ordered the duck and a steak just to try it does RCL mind this ? NCL did'nt seem to care the waiters actually encourged on NCL

This will be my first RCCL My Time Dining but I have been on Princess with this concept and NCL. The only thing you have to watch is to give yourself plenty of time, 1 1/2 hour, in the main dining room if you plan to go to a show or other scheduled activity.

I have a quick question. having been on the NCL a while back. we eat at the main dining room anytime we wanted. also they let us order as much as we wanted would RCL be opposed to me ordering 2 entrees ? like when I was on NCL I wanted to try the duck so i ordered the duck and a steak just to try it does RCL mind this ? NCL did'nt seem to care the waiters actually encourged on NCL

When we used to eat in the dining room there was never any issue with ordering whatever you wanted to. If you want to try a couple of different appetizers, main courses, or desserts you wait staff will most likely be very gracious with complying.

The great thing about cruising is the flexibility when it comes to mealtimes. Depending on the ship, you can enjoy traditional MDR style dining, ""my time" dining, the WJ buffet, burgers and pizza out by the pool or in the promenade, Johnny Rockets, room service, or a specialty restaurant. You can eat at any time, wearing whatever you wish, or wearing nothing at all (but only in your cabin:D). In our experience all these options have been perfect at one time or another, and the food is always good. Prepaid tips are convenient, but I personally like to tip in cash those who serve me. Again, there are options....

Without reading through all the posts on this thread, we've found the Windjammer to be pleasant surprise for dinner. The times we've eaten there they've had the lights dimmed and the servers were great.

We really didn't discover the windjammer for dinner until our W. Med cruise. Since the port days were long and we had choosen a bunch of shore excursions that would get us back to the ship after early seating had begun, we selected the late seating. It turned out that 12 hour days in port and an evening meal that ended around 11:30 PM was just to much most nights. We started exploring the other venues for dinner on that trip, including the Windjammer. Turns out we really liked the Windjammer when we wanted to be informal, dine at whatever time was convenient for us and at whatever speed worked well for us.

The Windjammer isn't my first choice for dinner most times but, if there's something else we want to do and our MDR time doesn't work well for us, it's still a great place for dinner. Now with Mytimedining coming around, we'll probably try that on our next W. Med cruise assuming it's available to us. Otherwise, the Windjammer will see us a couple of times as we've selected early seating (for now) and I'm sure we won't be back onboard every night to make that dinner time.

Don't disount the MDR as an option just because you don't want to dress up. RCI does not make it a habit of turning guests away from the MDR based upon how they are dressed. RCI is about as laid back as many of it's guests.

On our 1st cruise we dined in the buffet almost every night except for maybe one or two where we did the MDR or a specialty. On our last cruise we dined in the MDR almost every night and only did the buffet for dinner once or twice. For our upcoming cruise I know we will be dining at the buffet at least one night since we decided not to do the formal night thing this time around.

Will they let you in the Windjammer at dinner time in shorts? I was just on the Jewel last week and at dinner time you had to put paints on if yu want to eat.

Will they let you in the Windjammer at dinner time in shorts? I was just on the Jewel last week and at dinner time you had to put paints on if yu want to eat.

Good question ... anyone ...? I was of the understanding the dress code was relaxed for all meals in the buffet, which I assumed meant shorts were allowed.

Btw do they have Jade on the Voyager Class ships?

Just got off The Explorer... "Yes" to Jade!

To the OP, this was a 9 nighter and the first time EVER that I chose to eat in the Windjammer for dinner. Ended up eating there 3 nights, and was very pleased with the selection! It's alittle bit softer and less crowded than during breakfast and lunch, AND they had a make your own stir-fry, pasta and pizza bars every night we were there! This made me quite happy!

Don't know about your sailing, but on ours, the Fisherman's Platter which was the "Lobster tail and Shimp" dish was on the final night of sailing, and no longer on Formal Night (just in case you wanted to plan around that!)

Have a great cruise!

A~

I have always been under the impression that you could wear anything but a bathing suit into the Windjammer for any meal. But to be honest, in October is was cool enough in the W. Med that we weren't wearing shorts. It was the same in Alaska, which is the only other time we've had dinner in the Windjammer. I can't understand having to wear slacks or any form of long pants for an informal dining experience such as a buffett.

I have used the windjammer!!!!!! when late back from a trip and in my humble opinion its not that good ..... NOT the food or the service ... as I helped myself but the atmosphere ... yes they put knives and forks out but on our cruise no table clothes. We find that the Main Dinning room is all part of cruising. So you don’t like dressing up but want to go to dinner in shorts AGH!!!!! If you ever came to my house for dinner in shorts I would be offended .... No Im not a snob but it does take no effort to slip on a pair of slacks and a nice casual shirt. I’m sure this may upset some but it’s just my opinion.

I have used the windjammer!!!!!! when late back from a trip and in my humble opinion its not that good ..... NOT the food or the service ... as I helped myself but the atmosphere ... yes they put knives and forks out but on our cruise no table clothes. We find that the Main Dinning room is all part of cruising. So you don’t like dressing up but want to go to dinner in shorts AGH!!!!! If you ever came to my house for dinner in shorts I would be offended .... No Im not a snob but it does take no effort to slip on a pair of slacks and a nice casual shirt. I’m sure this may upset some but it’s just my opinion.

Guess I won't be going to your house for dinner and yes it offends me. This is a summer Carribean vacation and shorts at dinner in a buffet are not exactly the same as getting a supper invitation. I was not asking for opinions on proper dress for dinner in the Main Dining area as I "clearly stated" in my post but thanks for spitting out your opinion anyway.

Also, I personally do not need a table cloth on my table for the food to be good and I don't expect I am alone in that opinion or ships wouldn't create such dining areas.

Sad that until this post my question was being kingly answered by everyone for which I am very thankful.

Guess I won't be going to your house for dinner and yes it offends me. This is a summer Carribean vacation and shorts at dinner in a buffet are not exactly the same as getting a supper invitation. I was not asking for opinions on proper dress for dinner in the Main Dining area as I "clearly stated" in my post but thanks for spitting out your opinion anyway.

Also, I personally do not need a table cloth on my table for the food to be good and I don't expect I am alone in that opinion or ships wouldn't create such dining areas.

Sad that until this post my question was being kingly answered by everyone for which I am very thankful.

But you need to find out what the rules are for dinner. They would not let people in the windjammer in shorts for dinner on the Jewel.

I hate to have you stand in the door all mad because they wont let you in. I saw it last week when people did not want to but paints on.

I saw the rule you need paints for dinner in the windjammer or in any dinning room for dinner. You can call for room service and eat there before they charge you.

Archived