Rumrunners for shampoo

I've read numerous threads concerning the usage of rumrunners for sneaking alcohol onboard. However, has anyone used them for things like shampoo, conditioner, self tanner, lotion, etc? They seem easier than taking the actual bottles...and yes, I need to bring my own shampoo/conditioner bc the ship stuff wreaks havoc on my tresses :p

I don't see the necessity...A bottle/flask as big as a rumrunner would have to be checked anyway, so why transfer? And I wouldn't think you would need that much shampoo/conditioner unless it is a really long cruise...EM

I've read numerous threads concerning the usage of rumrunners for sneaking alcohol onboard. However, has anyone used them for things like shampoo, conditioner, self tanner, lotion, etc? They seem easier than taking the actual bottles...and yes, I need to bring my own shampoo/conditioner bc the ship stuff wreaks havoc on my tresses :p

I don't know why not. But these days if you scour the drugstore aisles, you can find smaller bottles of most of the popular shampoos, or smaller plastic bottles that you can purchase pretty inexpensively, and use for all this other stuff. And if you pack it all in your checked luggage (as opposed to your carry-on), you'll not have any problem getting it through any sort of inspection and on board with you. The liquid restrictions are only for carry-ons (although the TSA "cops" can inspect your checked luggage, too -- ours always has been!, so they might look.)

I bought a couple of sets and they were a PITA! The large ones that you can pour stuff into are fine but the smaller ones that require the funnel thing were difficult to fill and impossible to clean. I ended up throwing all the small ones away.

The spray bottles are very good and I use them all the time, but I don't recommend the small(er) tubes.

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure of their weights, so I thought that they might not only be smaller, but lighter and more easily able to fit into a suitcase since they are flexible (unlike plastic bottles). That's good to know about the smaller ones.

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure of their weights, so I thought that they might not only be smaller, but lighter and more easily able to fit into a suitcase since they are flexible (unlike plastic bottles). That's good to know about the smaller ones.

They are smaller and lighter but it took two of us to get them filled decently with shampoo & shower gel!

We were doing a TA and I packed one suitcase for our pre-cruise stay and two others which we didn't open until we boarded. I bought the sets to use the small tubes in the pre-cruise bag & the mediums for the cruise. I figured it would work for space & weight........... and it did. BUT they were a pain & if you don't put the same stuff in them for the next use, you'll never get them cleaned out!

If a liquid is thick, like hair conditioner or body lotion, it is a pain to refill into any type of refillable bottle, not just Rumrunners. I found this out the hard way just like phoenix1181.

I use refillable bottles for liquids that are the consistency of water only. For thicker liquids I just buy travel sizes or, like sunscreen where you need a larger size, I pack it into the checked case or purchase when we get to the destination.

Welcome to Cruise Critic DoggieDash. I have noticed that my local Walmart, Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy etc has been going up on their prices on all of my favorite travel-size items so I started buying them in quantities at minimus dot biz (not com but biz). You can buy one or as many as you like. I usually buy 5 or more because I also use them when I am spending the weekend at hotels or friend's houses. Try miimus dot biz and see if they can help you. You can usually find what you are looking for in their sale section.

In fact I first heard about this place a couple of years ago right here at CC.

Welcome to Cruise Critic DoggieDash. I have noticed that my local Walmart, Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy etc has been going up on their prices on all of my favorite travel-size items so I started buying them in quantities at minimus dot biz (not com but biz). You can buy one or as many as you like. I usually buy 5 or more because I also use them when I am spending the weekend at hotels or friend's houses. Try miimus dot biz and see if they can help you. You can usually find what you are looking for in their sale section.

In fact I first heard about this place a couple of years ago right here at CC.

Thanks, Ladycruiser :)

They are smaller and lighter but it took two of us to get them filled decently with shampoo & shower gel!

We were doing a TA and I packed one suitcase for our pre-cruise stay and two others which we didn't open until we boarded. I bought the sets to use the small tubes in the pre-cruise bag & the mediums for the cruise. I figured it would work for space & weight........... and it did. BUT they were a pain & if you don't put the same stuff in them for the next use, you'll never get them cleaned out!

This definitely makes sense, especially since they're supposed to be used for liquids as opposed to lotions. Def not worth it if they're more of a hassle.

I guess I just don't see the point. And having soft water at home, it would take forever to get the shampoo flavor out of the thing!

I don't understand why not just take sample size of these items? Not like you need to avoid their detection. :confused:

It's basically just a bunch of things added up...

1. cheaper than sample sizes since I don't have any lying around to re-use; though, I could just buy cheap ones from $1 store and transfer myself even though that would be a pain. On the flip side...now I see that transferring into the RRs is a pain, too!!

2. more pliable - easier to fit into suitcase since they'll "mold" around other things

3. re-usable and easily able to be stored w/o taking up too much room - i figured i'd keep using the ones for the same purpose so i don't have to worry about cleaning very thoroughly

4. the slightest bit lighter than plastic bottles - every little bit of weight adds up, also good for adhering to weight limits on planes

5. instead of having to get numerous trial sizes (i use a lot of conditioner!!), i only have to use 1 "correct size" RR, since RRs come in various sizes, as opposed to most of the trial sizes I see

6. def will take up less room when emptied on way back from trip

Thank you all for your replies. I've decided not to go this route due to the trouble in transferring shampoo/conditioners/lotions/etc into the RRs.

1. cheaper than sample sizes since I don't have any lying around to re-use; though, I could just buy cheap ones from $1 store and transfer myself even though that would be a pain. On the flip side...now I see that transferring into the RRs is a pain, too!!

2. more pliable - easier to fit into suitcase since they'll "mold" around other things

3. re-usable and easily able to be stored w/o taking up too much room - i figured i'd keep using the ones for the same purpose so i don't have to worry about cleaning very thoroughly

4. the slightest bit lighter than plastic bottles - every little bit of weight adds up, also good for adhering to weight limits on planes

5. instead of having to get numerous trial sizes (i use a lot of conditioner!!), i only have to use 1 "correct size" RR, since RRs come in various sizes, as opposed to most of the trial sizes I see

Thank you all for your replies. I've decided not to go this route due to the trouble in transferring shampoo/conditioners/lotions/etc into the RRs.

OK, gotcha. I always take my own, too.

don't have rrs, didn't realize #2!!

We just take regular sizes of shampoo etc. No way sample sizes would last 10+ days. We shower twice a day on vacation so that would be 40 uses for the 2 of us! You may want to bring the full size bottles. We also bring 2 full sized shower gels for a 10 day vacation and manage to use most of it.

Another option is to buy your shampoo and conditioner once you get to the port area. We always fly in the day before our cruise so we just stop at a CVS or a Walgreens and pick up our toiletries. There is no weight restriction for luggage on the ship so we just cram them in to our bags.

You won't need an entire bottle of shampoo---the ship's water is sooooo soft, that a little shampoo will lather and lather and lather...... Just bring a regular size bottle, but to save weight, it doesn't have to be full!

Thanks, Ladycruiser :)

This definitely makes sense, especially since they're supposed to be used for liquids as opposed to lotions. Def not worth it if they're more of a hassle.

DoggieDash84, How do you mulit-quote? I tried and can not get it to work for me... Thanks

Yep it would work but why ruin the Rumrunners with hair stuff! Let's get some booze in there. Enough of that and you won't care what your hair looks like:D

DoggieDash84, How do you mulit-quote? I tried and can not get it to work for me... Thanks

There is a multiquote button beside the quote button, it looks like a double quote symbol with a plus sign under it. Say you want to quote three replies, hit the multi quote for the first two replies and then the quote button for the last quote. The message window will come up with all the quotes and you can type text between them or at the bottom.

Hope that makes some sense.:)

I just save a shampoo bottle when it is half empty. I figured out how many shampoos a bottle does and go from there. I leave any extras behind as there is very little generally. I do the same for any lotions, shaving cream etc.

The website given above, minimus.biz is a very reliable company. I have ordered from them a number of times and the order always arrived promptly and as requested. They keep adding lots of travel size items to their inventory.

There is a multiquote button beside the quote button, it looks like a double quote symbol with a plus sign under it. Say you want to quote three replies, hit the multi quote for the first two replies and then the quote button for the last quote. The message window will come up with all the quotes and you can type text between them or at the bottom.

Hope that makes some sense.:)

Thank you so much... I tried it and it works :D

FYI...Rum Runners Flasks has a sister site for small containers, which are TSA compliant. They claim they are easy to fill (claim has yet to be proved by me):

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/

I will be ordering them for my next cruise. They have various packages, some of which include separate Rum Runners products, including this cruise special:

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/travelpakcruisekitand153patpend.aspx

I have used the RumRunner sister site containers. I bought the first set to use at home in the shower as I buy very large containers of shampoo, shower gel and conditioner to save money. Then I decided to use them for travel when I am taking a bag that will be checked. They do work but they save you money and not time or packing weight and space.

Another option is to buy your shampoo and conditioner once you get to the port area. We always fly in the day before our cruise so we just stop at a CVS or a Walgreens and pick up our toiletries. There is no weight restriction for luggage on the ship so we just cram them in to our bags.

I use a salon brand of shampoo so that won't work for many of us!

FYI...Rum Runners Flasks has a sister site for small containers, which are TSA compliant. They claim they are easy to fill (claim has yet to be proved by me):

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/

I will be ordering them for my next cruise. They have various packages, some of which include separate Rum Runners products, including this cruise special:

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/travelpakcruisekitand153patpend.aspx

These are the containers that we had such a hard time with! I'm very interested in someone else's evaluation of how "easy" they are to fill.......

Archived