DBA Asks: Godmother of Nieuw Amsterdam?

I think Dutch Royalty is by far the best answer to this question. U.S. movie stars and celebrities are in temporary positions - whereas a Royal is forever.
Oh, YES!!! Now which ship has the Olson twins as Godmother???? :eek:

It's funny that you both mention Princess Maxima, as that is who I was hoping it would be for Eurodam (and now Nieuw Amsterdam) as well. :D

She learned how to speak Dutch, speaks it fluently now, and that's not an easy thing to do for an Argentinian. She's very popular with the Dutch people. And on top of all that, she's nice to look at also, kinda like a day at the beach. Ain't nothing wrong with that!;) Perfect choice!

why does it have to be Dutch Royalty?

there is a former director of the Mariner Society recently retired who in my opinion would be the perfect choice

thirty + years of devotion to HAL would seem to qualify her

plus, she is Dutch by birth

there is a former director of the Mariner Society recently retired who in my opinion would be the perfect choice

thirty + years of devotion to HAL would seem to qualify her

plus, she is Dutch by birth

Sea King........ We are in full agreement.

I thought DBA was publishing poster's choices on his Blog so I e-mailed my response to him, by direct link from his Blog, two nights ago saying that I think Margaret Binnendyk is the PERFECT choice. When I saw DBA's question, right away I thought of Ms. Binnendyk.

She was with HAL for 30+ years before her retirement last spring, was Director of Mariners Society since its inception and is such a lovely, gracious woman. Her father, ahead of her, was with HAL and she assisted in so many dedications/namings of HAL ships through the years that she is so deserving of that honor. She began her carrier with HAL working in the Rotterdam office and then at sea.

We'd be thrilled to see Margaret honored in that way.

How 'bout tradition in a 136 year old company?

ms Nieuw Amsterdam II - Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands

ms Statendam IV - Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands

ms Rotterdam V – Queen Juliana of the Netherlands

ms Prinsendam II – Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Nieuw Amsterdam III – Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Rotterdam VI - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Oosterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Eurodam – Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

how 'bout tradition in a 136 year old company?

ms nieuw amsterdam ii - queen wilhelmina of the netherlands

ms statendam iv - princess beatrix of the netherlands

ms rotterdam v – queen juliana of the netherlands

ms prinsendam ii – princess margriet of the netherlands

ms nieuw amsterdam iii – princess margriet of the netherlands

ms rotterdam vi - princess margriet of the netherlands

ms oosterdam - princess margriet of the netherlands

ms eurodam – queen beatrix of the netherlands

Good one John and Brian

How 'bout tradition in a 136 year old company?

ms Nieuw Amsterdam II - Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands

ms Statendam IV - Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands

ms Rotterdam V – Queen Juliana of the Netherlands

ms Prinsendam II – Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Nieuw Amsterdam III – Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Rotterdam VI - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Oosterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Eurodam – Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Copper-

You sure that's Prinsendam II? I can only think of 2 Prinsendams and the first of the two I can think of burned and sank... the one *I* think of as "II" is the one in which all HAL employees were named "the godmother"

Sea King........ We are in full agreement.

I thought DBA was publishing poster's choices on his Blog so I e-mailed my response to him, by direct link from his Blog, two nights ago saying that I think Margaret Binnendyk is the PERFECT choice. When I saw DBA's question, right away I thought of Ms. Binnendyk.

She was with HAL for 30+ years before her retirement last spring, was Director of Mariners Society since its inception and is such a lovely, gracious woman. Her father, ahead of her, was with HAL and she assisted in so many dedications/namings of HAL ships through the years that she is so deserving of that honor. She began her carrier with HAL working in the Rotterdam office and then at sea.

We'd be thrilled to see Margaret honored in that way.

Not to mention there actually WAS a cargo ship once upon a time in HAL history CALLEd the "Binnendyk" (or "Binnendijk")... not sure if there's any sort of connection there, or what the word may possibly translate to, etc but yeah...

If not royalty like Princess Maxima I think Margaret would be a great choice.

Not to mention there actually WAS a cargo ship once upon a time in HAL history CALLEd the "Binnendyk" (or "Binnendijk")... not sure if there's any sort of connection there, or what the word may possibly translate to, etc but yeah...

If not royalty like Princess Maxima I think Margaret would be a great choice.

Of course, you are correct, DBA.

If you look at the inside cover of the book Holland America Line "The Spotless Fleet" , Maritime Paintings by Stephen J.Card M.N.I you will see a pencil drawing of the ss Binnendyk dated 1921. Stephen Card did that in honor of his friend, Ms. Binnendyk. There is, indeed, a connection.

Copper-

You sure that's Prinsendam II? I can only think of 2 Prinsendams and the first of the two I can think of burned and sank... the one *I* think of as "II" is the one in which all HAL employees were named "the godmother"

Yeah, you're right! I screwed up my roman numerals. Princess Margriet christened Prinsendam I back in 1972, some eight years before she tragically sank in Alaskan waters. The current Prinsendam is # II, the one of which all HAL employees are godmother. Thanks for catching that!

After sleeping on this for a few days I have comeup with someone to be God-Mother of the Nieuw Amsterdam. I belive it should be the wife of the mayor of New York City. Nieuw Amsterdam was the name that the Dutch gave to the city we call New York City. Therefore since the mayor cannot be a Godmother, I think it should be his wife.

I agree........ Please no politiican. :eek:

I don't think HAL would go down that path. Not a politician from any country.

That would be 'dangerous' turf. IMO :D But I do understand about trying to make the New York link.

Archived