Fuel Surcharge ?

Ok, here is something I have not seen addressed yet. Fuel did top $70 for awhile today but closed just under, so no fuel charges yet obviously. What I want to know is how they determine when to charge someone. We are booked on the Dream Feb 2010. If fuel tops $70 now (sometime in June) I know they can implement it immedietly, but would they for a cruise that far out? It wouldn't make much sense to me to implement it, then maybe have to refund it, then possibly have to implement it again, possibly refund again (see where I am going with this?) Would they wait till final payment time to determine whether or not we would need to be assesed the fuel charges for our cruise?

TIA

Since oil topped $70 today, thats all that had to happen for Carnival to add up to $9 fuel pp per day. It doesnt say oil has to close above $70, it only says oil has to top $70 which happened today.

Carnival hasnt yet announced if they will or wouldnt add a fuel surcharge, maybe they are waiting to see if RCL does it first? who knows. Its all guesswork how it will happen right now since they havent announced it yet.

I have 2 upcoming cruises (Aug and Dec)....one final payment is Monday, the other in Oct. If they do reinstate the fuel suppliment, I am preparing to be charged the fee for both cruises. :( Just dont want to be upset about it I guess but it sucks.

Sailing June 28 on Conquest. Would be a real kick in the pants if we were charged a fuel charge at this point. Anyone know what position Carnival is taking on this???

Read my post above yours ..... no one knows what position Carnival will take on this. i.e. its a wait and see game at this point.

Sailing June 28 on Conquest. Would be a real kick in the pants if we were charged a fuel charge at this point. Anyone know what position Carnival is taking on this???

We're even sooner than you. We leave the 14th. I agree it would really suck.

From reading the last couple of posts on Fuel Surcharges. I am beginning to think the we were the only ones who had already paid for them. We paid for ours when we first booked our cruise back last year. They since dropped them back in February when we paid off our cruise for this October. If they decide to reinstate the charges. Then we will simply pay them again. We surely not going to cry about $9 a day extra.

If I were in charge, I would hit every sailing today with a $5 per day charge and put it on the S&S.

Its in the contract,its money they can get.As a stockholder,I want them to get every penny.

Steve

If I were in charge, I would hit every sailing today with a $5 per day charge and put it on the S&S.

Its in the contract,its money they can get.As a stockholder,I want them to get every penny.

Steve

Im guessing you are pulling our legs. I actually hoped they would do that. I have a few cruises with extra OBC that would go toward it. Instead my PVP says Id have to pay up within a couple of days and couldnt board until I had paid ahead of time. Dont know if thats fact but her best guess.

Don't assume that because fuel is at $70 per barrel that Carnival is going to automatically reinstate the surcharge. That is the threshold that they will use if they decide it is needed. If fuel keeps rising you can pretty much be assured that the surcharge is returning, but if it bounces around and is near the top of its price as all the commentators seem to think then it is probably not going to happen.

I alos expect that instead of collecting it ahead of time it is going to belike gratuities and added to your S&S card. this allows for a quicker implementation and quicker stopping without the accounting issues that happen if it is collected ahead of time.

Just be prepared to have an extra charge on your S&S card if it is implemented.

I think oil will have to show some stability at or above the $70 mark for them to even consider implimenting it. They don't want to be bouncing back and forth charge/dont' charge either so they aren't going to rush into it.

I also agree they will probably apply it to S&S accounts for those past final payment but maybe to the final payment for those that haven't paid. That way if you are booked for next year you wouldn't be charged until closer to cruise date and they would know what oil is doing by that time and drop it or not.

All my opinions and they very well could be wrong LOL

I think oil will have to show some stability at or above the $70 mark for them to even consider implimenting it. They don't want to be bouncing back and forth charge/dont' charge either so they aren't going to rush into it.

I also agree they will probably apply it to S&S accounts for those past final payment but maybe to the final payment for those that haven't paid. That way if you are booked for next year you wouldn't be charged until closer to cruise date and they would know what oil is doing by that time and drop it or not.

All my opinions and they very well could be wrong LOL

I would hope they were smart enough to hedge the fuel costs when oil was around $45 a barrel and lock in that price.

If you have paid in full, would you still be hit with the fuel surcharge? Just wondering if their would be some advantage to paying early...

The ticket contract says that you would be charged, even if you have made final payment.

Okay, just a little irritated at those who think paying $9 extra dollars a day is no big deal. Well, I don't have unlimited funds and have a budget. For us there are 4 people and that is times 4 per day and on a 7 night cruise that is expensive!

I just love how some people don't have to worry about money.....well I am not one of those people.

I thought if you were 30 days out you were safe from any additional charges? :confused:

I am no economist but it seems pretty stupid to lower the prices the way the have because they are having a hard time filling the ships then tack on a fuel surcharge.

I hope they follow your thinking, but they aren't having a hard time filling the Galveston ships (my 9A wrap has gone up $120pp since I booked in January; I can forget about any OBC from the Early Saver Program). Still, I think the overall competitive environment will prevent them from invoking the fuel surcharge clause unless/until it stays about $70 for some time.

Okay, just a little irritated at those who think paying $9 extra dollars a day is no big deal. Well, I don't have unlimited funds and have a budget. For us there are 4 people and that is times 4 per day and on a 7 night cruise that is expensive!

I just love how some people don't have to worry about money.....well I am not one of those people.

I thought if you were 30 days out you were safe from any additional charges? :confused:

HUH?? Where are you getting that from? That anyone said an extra $9 is no big deal? I've got a 5 night AND an 8 night this year for 4 people so I am going to get hit hard...but what to do? Cancel? Not an option..not going to let a fuel surcharge be a reason to cancel.

No, the fuel surcharge can be added anytime even within 30-days.

HUH?? Where are you getting that from? That anyone said an extra $9 is no big deal? I've got a 5 night AND an 8 night this year for 4 people so I am going to get hit hard...but what to do? Cancel? Not an option..not going to let a fuel surcharge be a reason to cancel.

No, the fuel surcharge can be added anytime even within 30-days.

Don't flame me! I read a couple of responses that said "not to worry about it", and one was a stockholder and would welcome it.

Don't flame me! I read a couple of responses that said "not to worry about it", and one was a stockholder and would welcome it.

Most of us are not stockholders. As for flaming? Go back and read your original post. Again, that was one post that said he would welcome it and chances are he's being sarcastic. Sorry if those people irritate you.

IF Carnival brings it back it needs to apply to all people wether they are after final payment or not, I'm included in that final payment made group and have a cruise in the works for next year so I'm included it in it too.

Reason being, when the fuel charge was cancelled everyone demaded refunds, including those that were already paid in full or past final payment date. If everyone deserves a refund when the surcharge is dropped then everyone deserves to pay it if/when it's reinstated. You can't have it both ways.

Well since I asked the orginal questions I guess I will say thanks for the opinions. I am not worried about it, if it is charged we will pay it, not canceling this trip for the world, this is my kid's first cruise and I am so ready to go again. Guess we will just wait and see what happens. I think I have to agree with who ever said that if it is past final payment that they should just put it on your S&S like the tips, that would be so much easier

Archived