Unthought of...things to pack!

I have to 2nd the wrinkle-releaser. We usually use it in conjunction with the steam from the shower.

Have to share my version of the "wrinkle-releaser." I put plain water into a spray bottle. Works perfectly for dewrinkling! I've been using it for years to dewrinkle knits or light-weight cottons. Try it!

~gigi

We take copies of our passports along with 2 passport photos along with copies of our credit cards and driver's licenses.

We contact the credit card company to advise where we are going and obtain the phone number to call if the card is lost or stolen.

A copy of our health insurance card and phone number to call if we have a medical emergency(we did need this 2 years ago for my husband. The carrier can help with what you will be to bring back to the states for reimbursement.

Not surprisingly, we have learned the above the hard way over our years of travel.

If you have a balcony, take a clothes line rope, a bit bigger than your balcony length, hang it up and use clothes pins to hang out wet bathing suits, gym stuff, etc. With the clothes liine, you also can find your balcony when onshore.

If you have a balcony, take a clothes line rope, a bit bigger than your balcony length, hang it up and use clothes pins to hang out wet bathing suits, gym stuff, etc. With the clothes liine, you also can find your balcony when onshore.

I probably shouldn't respond...but don't you think that is a little tacky looking? Also a fire hazard? And why do you need to find your cabin from the shore? :):D:)

I've been out and bought everything suggested on the forum,just in case. Wouldn't like to leave something really important behind. Only problem is, I've spent so much money i can't afford to go on the cruise:D

I always bring a lanyard with a clear ID pouch for my cruise card. We use them at work for our MagLock keys and ID badges. They are VERY handy for carrying your card to the pool, or just around ship. Especially if you don't have pockets!

Jim

Oooh..oooh..oooh.....I almost forgot! Be sure to take some of those plastic chip-clip thingies (I prefer the ones that are like fancy clothes pins with magnets on the back). Many of the cabins have metal walls or ceilings and you can use them to attach/ hang things, but more importantly you can clip them to the bottom of the shower curtain while you are showering.....keeps the curtain from getting....let's just say, "familiar".......:eek:

I've been out and bought everything suggested on the forum,just in case. Wouldn't like to leave something really important behind. Only problem is, I've spent so much money i can't afford to go on the cruise:D

Yep, I did that too.....now I need another whole suitcase for all my "stuff".....:o

Oooh..oooh..oooh.....I almost forgot! Be sure to take some of those plastic chip-clip thingies (I prefer the ones that are like fancy clothes pins with magnets on the back). Many of the cabins have metal walls or ceilings and you can use them to attach/ hang things, but more importantly you can clip them to the bottom of the shower curtain while you are showering.....keeps the curtain from getting....let's just say, "familiar".......:eek:

God, I hate "familiar" shower curtains! That is one thing I like about RCCL! Although, I have to get out of the shower to change my mind!

I have been on several cruises with a buddy. He started bringing bathroom spray. Now, I know you're laughing, but he's Italian. Lets just say there are some skills that are on his "un" resume'.

It can be indispensable if you have a little too much of anything... LOL

Jim

It's helpful to pack $30-$40 in singles for tipping. I also pack note paper or thank you cards so I can write a personal note to wait staff and Wroom steward to go with tip. We also bring walkie talkies so we can communicate with each other while on board in case we want to go our own ways.

God, I hate "familiar" shower curtains! That is one thing I like about RCCL! Although, I have to get out of the shower to change my mind!

You are so right.....can't raise both arms at once to wash my hair! :eek:

Hi Gigi-

Remember us? We're going back on the LOS July 18th!

Come join us!!

Of course I remember you -- I posted somewhere in the past few weeks a hello when I found one of your posts!

DD and I are on Mariner 7/5 -- so much closer to us and I'm with an airline now (since soon after we got back from the 07 LOS cruise) so the flights are free :) They'd be free to FL, too... maybe next time!

~gigi

I always bring a lanyard with a clear ID pouch for my cruise card. We use them at work for our MagLock keys and ID badges. They are VERY handy for carrying your card to the pool, or just around ship. Especially if you don't have pockets!

Jim

If you have a lanyard with a spring-loaded hook on it, Guest Relations will punch a hole in your Sea Pass. Makes it even easier than having to take it out of the plastic sleeve. Just undo the hook. You can purchase a souvenir lanyard in the ship gift shops, too.

• 3 weeks later...

bring a travel coffee mug with a lid. If you like to grab coffee in the morning and walk around with it, those small cups just don't work.

Also beach bags to bring off the ship are vital and my wife always finds it helpful to have a very tiny purse or wristlet to bring to dinner-- just big enough for her ship card, lipstick and glasses.

Off the Mariner last week...

definitely used:

the over the door shoe holder....in fact, our relative walked into our cabin and commented on how that was a great idea.

The power strip...my husband was fighting me for extra outlets!

binoculars

band-aids

travel mug (would fill with hot tea after dinner, to sip during the show)

long pants for ice skating, socks for rock climbing

highlighters

didn't use:

duct tape, flashlight, alarm clock (used room service), any of the OTC meds (thankfully!), bungee cord (just 'threaded' the clothing through the plastic strips that make up the seats on the balcony), snorkel gear for the kids (they never actually snorkeled from the beach in cabo), bug spray (my fault...didn't use it to go to swim with dolphins, since they recommend not putting on any chemicals (sunscreen), but the bathroom was buzzing with them...about 15 bites in the time it took me to change clothes!).

wished I'd had:

the 'household tool' that another poster mentioned on this board to open the balcony divider! They refused to do it for our sailing, and we had to resort to the little kids crawling under the divider to get next door. My 10 yr old daughter could do it, but the 6 yr old son's head was too big!

an 'evening purse' that was large enough to hold my camcorder and my camera. Ended up borrowing my daughter's, since I figured I wouldn't be bringing anything to dinner...

My advise is to go easy on these lists, everything added takes space and weight in your suitcase... not a good idea if you're flying to port.

Really think things through before going out to purchase any of these items or when you go to pack. Only take the bare necessities, that can be different for all of us, so make up your own list. Chances are great that if you didn't think of it yourself, you really don't need it after all.

The over-the-door thing is really a waste unless you have more than 2 people in the cabin. The bathrooms have plenty of space for toiletries, plus the vanity has shelves behind the mirrors (on many ships).

We've never taken duct tape and never needed it. We don't bohter with pens, cups or much of the paraphernalia mentioned here.

Every trip we take we try to eliminate the junk, not think of more.

Of all of the posts, this is the one that makes the most sense!

Lay everything out before you pack the suitcases, then delete 50%. No wonder that it takes so long for luggage to get on the ship and delivered to our cabins, not to mention the sea of luggage that awaits us when we get off of the ship. People are packing half of their house!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Every once in a while there is a terrific downpour and there you are with no rain gear, off on your excursion.... And who wants to drag along stuff "just in case".

I bring big heavy duty garbage bags. Slip them on and voila ! Take up no space.

I could have sold them for like $10 a piece when were out on excurrsion and eveyone was soaking... It's basically what they sell in Disney when it rains.

Archived