Pregnant and cruising

I cruised at 19 weeks, and it was the perfect time to go for me! Morning sickness was over, I wasn't showing yet so I was still able to snorkel and other not-too-strenuous excursions, and I never went hungry. :D

If you're worried about the motion sickness, I've seen people swear by ginger tablets on here. Check with your OB and see if they're safe for you to take.

Just relax and enjoy the last pre-baby vacation you'll have for a long time. ;)

Just make sure you comply with Carnival's regulations for cruising while pregnant:

From the Carnival website:

Guests who are 24 weeks or more into their pregnancy on the date of disembarkation will not be allowed to sail. Pregnant women less than 24 weeks must submit, prior to departure, Carnival's Pregnancy Certification Form, which must be completed and signed by the guest's physician. On the Pregnancy Certificate Form, the attending physician will be required to certify the gestational period and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

Click here to print Carnival's Pregnancy Certification Form

Have a great cruise!

I will be 23 weeks when we get on the Fantasy. I am a little apprehensive about taking a cruise while I am pregnant. Has anyone had experience with this? I am afraid that I will get sick and I wont be able to take anything for it. Any tips?

Sounds like you'll be too far along. It's the gestational age at debarkation, so you'll be 24 weeks and Carnival won't let you sail.

First, check with your doctor.

We did just that, and ours said sailing or vacation in the midtrimester was the perfect time for expectant parents to get away. And away we did, sailing across the Pacific to Hawaii.

Wife was a little surprised to find herself queesy early in the sailing, and found she was simply hydrated. SO, make sure you keep your fluids flowing!

BTW, our S&S charges for that 12 day cruise was $92!

11 years later, our almost 11 year old is begging us to repeat this trip, so that she can repeat it ex-utero.

I sailed at 22 weeks six years ago. I too was worried about motion sickness and not being able to take anything. It was my first cruise, so I wasn't sure how it was going to be.

End result was no motion sickness at all. I felt great the whole time.

But check with your OB. The effective medication in many motion sickness medications is the same as Benedryl, which is one that my OB said was ok.

There's also Sea Bands, which is what I am taking for said five year old, when she goes on her second (first ex-utero) cruise on Saturday.

Oh, and congratulations!

I will be 23 weeks when we get on the Fantasy. I am a little apprehensive about taking a cruise while I am pregnant. Has anyone had experience with this? I am afraid that I will get sick and I wont be able to take anything for it. Any tips?

Honey...toss caution to the wind and just do it. Once you have that baby things change, and you don't know when you'll be able to get back on a ship again.

What time of year are you cruising??? Will it be during hurricane season?? If so, the waters could be a bit rougher....but I have heard that Ginger works well and do as Pete says, stay hydrated!!

I hope you have a great time :)

My pregnant SIL was with us in November--I think she was in the low 20 week range. She had a great time with no ill effects at all. Now I want them to bring my cutie nephew on the next cruise so he can experience it with a view this time!

ENJOY. I hope you have a great time.

-Lori

I would say DO IT!! As long as your OB approves it, you will be glad you took a great relaxing trip before that baby arrives!

I would think that ginger would be OK to take while pregnant, but certainly ask your doctor. I picked some up at GNC and started taking a few pills a day before we cruised, and throughout the cruise. Of course, I don't have any way of knowing if the ginger works great, or if I just don't get sea sick! :D

Congrats on the new little one! I've cruised Alaska at 23 weeks and it was amazing. They crew loved taking care of me...made me special smoothies at the Captains Party and made sure that I satisfied any cravings. Big bowls of strawberries....yummy. :) My doctor said "no" to the ginger pills, but ginger candy and fresh ginger were "ok". Remember to stay away from the soft cheeses (labor inducing) and not to eat too much fish (mercury). Have a great cruise!

Great advice everyone! We will be sailing at the end of August, so I am definatly going to get the "sea bands" and see what other stuff I can take from my OB.

Cruisingteachers4-So they gave you special treatment? I'm crossing my fingers that they will give me some special treatment too!

Ask your doctor for some Zofran ODT (nausea med) to take with you...works like a charm...lived on it during the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy, but works well for any kind of nausea. If you went to the infirmary for nausea from motion sickness, they give you a Phenergan injection. You may want to ask your md for some phenergan suppositories. The only thing about it is that it will make you sleepy, while the Zofran will not!

I went to Cozumel for a week when I was 27 weeks pregnant with second child. My doctor said, "Go. Have fun. Don't drink the water!". I did. Keep well hydrated. You'll have a great time.

• 3 months later...

help!! I just found out I am pregnant! Yippy! I have a major problem. Per carnivals stuff, you have to be 24 wks or less. i will be at 29 wks. IT IS MY WEDDING CRUISE!!!:eek: I have 18 other people cruising with us. what happens if i sneak a board and not claim to be pregnant? Worse case, they boot me off?? Any one have any ideas...Is there any way around this!! what about other cruise lines policies? Family has plane tickets bought, spent money on passports that half of them will never use again! I am upset to say the least! HELP!!:confused:

help!! I just found out I am pregnant! Yippy! I have a major problem. Per carnivals stuff, you have to be 24 wks or less. i will be at 29 wks. IT IS MY WEDDING CRUISE!!!:eek: I have 18 other people cruising with us. what happens if i sneak a board and not claim to be pregnant? Worse case, they boot me off?? Any one have any ideas...Is there any way around this!! what about other cruise lines policies? Family has plane tickets bought, spent money on passports that half of them will never use again! I am upset to say the least! HELP!!:confused:

I am sorry you are in this situation but it is for your safety, they set rules for a reason and past experience. If you lie and get on board and God forbid something happens health wise who is responsible - CARNIVAL. Please really rethink this - is it worth the risk - it is your child you will be putting in jeopardy, to hell with all the other incidentals.

I cruised at 16 weeks and 23 weeks. Both were great cruises, no problems whatsoever. We even had a hurricaine in the gulf last year with very rough seas and it still didn't bother me. I took along zofran prescribed by my ob. I had no problems with anything. I was over morning sickness and not too far along to feel uncomfortable. It's the perfect time to cruise.

Hate to say it, but you need to change your wedding date if you want to go on the cruise. Most people are showing at 29 weeks, and if you're showing, they will ask for documentation of clearance from your doctor, as well as assurance you meet the cutoff. And if your doctor's willing to lie for you on that, is that really the sort of doctor you want delivering your baby?

The 24 week restriction is for the baby's safety. If your baby is born prematurely at 29 weeks and you're at home, it's likely that in a level 3 NICU, he will survive. If he's born on a ship or on an island somewhere without that level of care, well ....

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your upcoming wedding!

You need to change the date. Any fees incurred are worth the health of you and your child. Why chance it to be denied access to the ship, which MAY happen. Then everyone would be left at the pier. Not a happy wedding day. Congrats to you and your fiancee'.

If you go into premature labor, the odds of you losing the baby skyrocket. The ships infirmary is NOT a high level trauma medical center. It's for bumps, bruises, and basic care. Neo natal care with incubators and respirators are not part of the deal.

Are you really willing to risk this over a cruise vacation? Sounds like there were a few things not planned in this deal.

If you go into premature labor, the odds of you losing the baby skyrocket. The ships infirmary is NOT a high level trauma medical center. It's for bumps, bruises, and basic care.

And yet, elderly people with heart conditions can sail without special permission. :confused: They are far more likely than a healthy young pregnant woman to need emergency care.

I do not understand the arbitrary 24 week rule. It would seem that a woman's OB/GYN should be able to make the decision if she is able to travel or not.

I hate to say it, but they WILL boot you off...I had read somewhere I believe on CC or saw on the news, a few months ago, a pregnant woman was denied boarding the ship due to the fact she did not have the proper forms and obviously looked more then 24 weeks pregnant. (I believe in her case, she didn't know their was a policy for being pregnant)

I think you should change your cruise date....Talk to the other family members/guests going, but I think they would prefer to pay the change fee on their flights (should be no charge to change the cruise date unless its Early Saver fee which is what $50??). Then to have them board the ship and come to find out you aren't allowed to board. (which is the reason why they are there in the first place)

a few months ago, a pregnant woman was denied boarding the ship due to the fact she did not have the proper forms and obviously looked more then 24 weeks pregnant. (I believe in her case, she didn't know their was a policy for being pregnant)
In that case the cruise line's policy changed after the booking, and the TA did not inform the client. Client claimed she had told TA she was pregnant at the time she booked; TA denied it. I believe the travel agency is being sued for not informing the client in time to cancel the cruise.

In that case the cruise line's policy changed after the booking, and the TA did not inform the client. Client claimed she had told TA she was pregnant at the time she booked; TA denied it. I believe the travel agency is being sued for not informing the client in time to cancel the cruise.

Thanks for clarifying...I couldn't remember the circumstances. I just remember feeling bad for her.

Archived