No more paper documents

I searched but couldn't see that this has been posted so I thought I'd pass it on. If it's something you already know, I apologize.

4. Tidbit for the Week: Carnival E-Documents: beginning with cruise departures of August 25, 2009 and beyond, Carnival will discontinue paper documents. All guests on sailings from this date forward will be required to use Carnival’s MyDocuments portal to print electronic cruise documents.

Additional details are below:

August 3 is the last day that paper documents can be ordered for sailings prior to August 25, 2009.

Documents may be accessed online after full payment is received and will require the following information: booking number, last name of the guest, ship and sail date.

Guests who purchased FlyAweigh air/sea packages may view their air schedules within 75 days of their cruise departure date.

Although having printed e-documents will expedite the check-in process during embarkation, guests may check in at the pier without documents as their information is contained within Carnival’s reservation system.

The electronic documents system includes printable luggage tags that may be printed in black and white. If they are not printed, luggage tags are available at the pier.

This change will provide a more efficient way for our guests to prepare for their cruise vacation and help us continue our efforts to be more environmentally friendly.

Just wondering... where did you get this info?

Had the choice for my Aug. 30 cruise, and chose paper docs. There is just something about getting that booklet in my hand! In fact, just picked up my docs for our 4th of July cruise this morning!:D Hope they don't get rid of the paper docs.

Yesterday, I actually booked a cruise online for this December and had a choice on paper or electronic. I chose e-docs, since all of my cruises in the last few years have been on cruise lines that have already switched to e-docs this is no biggy for me.

This came from our Carnival Rep. If you read it, it says that August 3rd is the last day that paper documents can be ordered. So you'll have the option until then. After August 3rd it will only be edocs.

We just received this information yesterday, so as usual with Carnival I'm sure that many at Carnival are unaware of the change. It seems to always take them a while to get their employees up to speed on changes!

I booked and paid for my June 25th cruise about two weeks ago and was not given an option. I was told to use E-documents for all my paperwork and tags. Luggage tags will be available at the terminal as stated above.

HoneyB

Interesting. I booked the Victory for February 2010 just a couple weeks ago and the PVP asked me if I wanted e-docs or paper docs and I told her paper. Then, when I went on line to look at my reservation, there was a note already entered indicating I would be receiving paper documents for my 2010 cruise. I haven't received anything from Carnival telling me anything different and I guess until I do, I'll continue to believe my documents will arrive in the mail.

This came from our Carnival Rep. If you read it, it says that August 3rd is the last day that paper documents can be ordered. So you'll have the option until then. After August 3rd it will only be edocs.

We just received this information yesterday, so as usual with Carnival I'm sure that many at Carnival are unaware of the change. It seems to always take them a while to get their employees up to speed on changes!

Well I spoke with my CCL DSM and she stated that edocs and paper docs WILL BE AVAILABLE for passengers until further notice.

Here is a letter sent out from Carnival to agents today:

June 9, 2009

Dear Travel Agent Partners,

We just wanted to take this opportunity to update you on some important information regarding cruise documents.

Based on the popularity of Carnival’s electronic documents, beginning with cruise departures of August 25, 2009 and beyond, Carnival will discontinue the paper version of the cruise travel documents. All guests on sailings from this date forward will need to use Carnival’s MyDocuments portal to print electronic cruise documents.

Since the vast majority of our guests already use the electronic system, we are expecting a smooth transition. As an added convenience for your guests you may print the electronic cruise documents for them at anytime once the booking is paid in full by simply going to the MyDocuments portal (accessible at www.carnival.com/mydocuments). This feature will also provides guests with on-demand access to their Carnival booking, enabling them to print boarding passes, the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract, luggage tags, and other pertinent information regarding their “Fun Ship” cruise from any Internet-connected computer.

This “paperless” system provides guests with many conveniences and offers the same travel documentation and information typically available with traditional cruise documents. Housed within a secure, easy-to-navigate Internet portal accessible on a “24/7” basis, the electronic document system operates in “real time” which ensures that all last-minute changes are reflected. In addition to the peace-of-mind created by eliminating the wait for cruise documents to be delivered by mail, this initiative has a positive impact on the environment. Please be advised that the migration to an entirely eDocument format applies to both individual and group reservations.

Additional details are below:

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">August 3 is the last day that paper documents can be ordered for sailings prior to August 25, 2009. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">Cruise documents, which include the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract, may be accessed online after full payment is received and will require the following information; booking number, last name of the guest, ship and sail date. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">The current terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract can be viewed at all times at
www.carnival.com. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">Guests who purchased FlyAweigh air/sea packages may view their air schedules within 75 days of their cruise departure date. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">Although having printed e-documents will expedite the check-in process during embarkation, guests may check in at the pier without documents as their information is contained within Carnival’s reservation system.
Electronic documents include printable luggage tags that may be printed in black and white. If they are not printed, luggage tags are available at the pier.

This change will provide a more efficient way for our guests to prepare for their cruise

vacation and help us continue our efforts to be more environmentally friendly.

We appreciate your business and support of this new initiative.

Best Regards,

Lynn_Torrent_signature2.jpg

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President of Sales and Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

Well I spoke with my CCL DSM and she stated that edocs and paper docs WILL BE AVAILABLE for passengers until further notice.

Looks like further notice has been given!

Not sure why it's "environmentally friendly," Carnival uses paper to print their e-docs, and we use paper at home to print our e-docs, so they cancel each other out. And most people don't print double-sided on their printers, thus using even more paper.

I agree it's convenient, but like most things, it's driven by a need for cost savings on carnival's part, shifting the expense of paper and ink on to the customers, eliminating the postage costs, labor costs to prep and ship them, etc.

As long as they let you on the ship, ultimately that's all that really matters, though!

As a travel agent with many elderly clients without computers, I always offer to print them and mail them to the clients.

I'm not sure how Carnival will handle those who book directly with them who don't have computers?

And I do the same for our clients... the issue is how are clients w/out computers going to handle this ? It should have been left as an option, but then again if it was, Carnival would be then charging a doc fee I am sure !

As for the environmental savings.... horse patootie.. it is a cost saving measure no matter how you look at it that has been passed on to TA's like us and their clients booking direct. :rolleyes:

Well, Pooh! I love getting that blue packet in the mail with all my documents in it. I would pay and extra $5.00 rather that just take plain old paper documents. Nothing fun and exciting about that!:(

When I booked my next cruise about a month ago I asked if I could have the docs sent and was told yes. I do not like e-docs. It's not convenient for me at all. While I have a computer, I don't have a printer, so it means making time for a trip to the library.

Well, Pooh! I love getting that blue packet in the mail with all my documents in it. I would pay and extra $5.00 rather that just take plain old paper documents. Nothing fun and exciting about that!:(

I am sure many would pay that extra fee if only $5.... ! I am sure that Carnival will be assisting those w/out computers for a little while when this goes into effect.

Awwww....where is the fun of printing them out...I know in the end it doesn't matter but I was hoping for the suspense of watching the mailbox every day for them!

I'm with you!

I just don't see myself getting as excited, as i try and do the doc dance while 20 black & white papers come spewing out of my printer.

I would much rather visit my mail box and have the neighbors think i've gone totally insane:D

I'm with you!

I just don't see myself getting as excited, as i try and do the doc dance while 20 black & white papers come spewing out of my printer.

I would much rather visit my mail box and have the neighbors think i've gone totally insane:D

Edocs are 7 pages long UNLESS you print out a ton of luggage tags..... and you don;t even need any of the first 6 pages !

And in reality... you don't need to print anything but your FunPass to get on the ship along with your proof of citizenship and photo ID and luggage tags (and not even those really as they are available at the pier !).

Edocs are 7 pages long UNLESS you print out a ton of luggage tags..... and you don;t even need any of the first 6 pages !

I realize that you really don't need anything except your FunPass. It is the excitement and anticipation of receiving the document packet in the mail that I will miss. It is doing the "doc dance". It just takes away from it. I know that Carnival needs to cut cost and that this is a good way to do it, and that many people will not object at all, I am just saying that I will really miss it and would be willing to pay a nominal fee to have the packet versus e-docs.

Archived