Crab legs?

sue1898

I'm not a crab leg eater (too much work) but my friend is and she's looking forward to eating them on our Zaandam cruise to Alaska. Are they on the menu? How frequently? Thanks for any info provided.

I've only seen crab legs on formal nights IIRC. I've never ordered them on board, as I REALLY don't want to order something that messy while wearing the 'good duds'. So, I can't really remember if they've been on the menus lately.

Must admit I smiled when I read this, after all the comments about fake crab. I'm visualizing the crew sitting in the back stuffing fake crab into crab leg shells...;)

That brought a chuckle! Hopefully someone will let me know if they recall seeing them this season. If not I may have to find a local spot in port to satisfy her request.

Are they on the menu? How frequently?
I've never seen them on the dining room menu more than once per cruise (and I think always on a formal night), but she may also see them at the Lido pool buffet the one night that is done. Tell her not to get her hopes up for huge King Crab legs, as they are usually small snow crabs. Very disappointing to us crab lovers.

On the Zandaam to Hawaii we were served crab and I was given the smallest bits I have seen. One word to the waiter and I had the big juicy bits. They were good so do not be afraid to ask for more.

We just returned from a cruise to Alaska on the Ryndam. Crab legs were on the menu on the 1st formal night. They were already cracked when served and all you needed to do was lift the meat out with a fork. They were wonderful.

We saw it on the menu twice on the recent Oosterdam Med cruise. Wife ordered it the first time, since I had my doubts. They were decent size, already cracked, and surprisingly good.

The second time was served as an appetizer, but they put a thai sweet sauce on it, which completely threw off the flavor. The meat was also not as bouncy.

Could be the last batches sitting in the freezer, and the sauce was to hide the "not so" freshness.

We live on the coast of Washington state, and we do love our fresh dungeness. I also enjoy king crab, but it's unavailable here. So I've ordered crab while cruising in hopes it will be the large, King Crab. It's nasty stuff! Skinny, stringy and freezer burnt.

HAL offered some very nice crab legs on the Volendam last summer (northbound) and I surmise put the same crab legs into the freezer and took them out again to serve them again a week later (southbound) on the same ship. When they were good, they were very, very good. When they were not, we just ordered something else and forgot about them.

The crab legs that were offered on our Westerdam 16 day cruise, were the worst I have ever seen...no claws, the skinny legs were less than I have had all the time I have eaten crab..however this is HAL...not Crystal or Oceania...you pay for what you get...not a good deal. this was in the dining room, on formal night...disappointing...crab legs.

Archived