Fuel Surcharge, Again

baggal

Crude oil closed on the NYMEX today at 70.46 but no new statement from HAL yet.

Any educated guesses?

It closed over $70 in July futures. June was lower. We sail June 11 so I hope they don't add a surcharge on for June travelers.

With the discounting that's going on to try to fill ships, I think Carnival Corp is not going to be eager to apply a charge which will discourage bookings.

I agree except that some cabins on some cruises are selling for such a low fare, there has to be a point where they have to get that oil paid for.

The most current information I could find on the HAL website is from December 2008 when the fuel supplement was lifted:

"We reserve the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day should the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) increase above $70 per barrel.

It is our hope that fuel prices have stabilized and will remain at a more rational level. The complete suspension of the fuel supplement makes the inherent value of a cruise even greater and that is increasingly important in the selection of a vacation in the current economic climate. "

It is anybody's guess as to whether they will reinstate the fuel supplement. I suspect they formulated a policy in December and will stick with that. As of yet, the price has not stabilized on the commodities market, so it is hovering above and below the $70 figure.

Any educated guesses?

Yes.

My educated guess is that as long as oil stays in the vicinity of $70, approximately 3-5 people will begin new threads each and every day asking what others think might happen with the fuel surcharge.

Yes.

My educated guess is that as long as oil stays in the vicinity of $70, approximately 3-5 people will begin new threads each and every day asking what others think might happen with the fuel surcharge.

Too funny:D

Any educated guesses?

thanks for reminding Seattle about the hike:rolleyes:

not that they needed any reminding:eek:

guesses?

here we go again:mad:

Just read this on the HAL website, obviously they are feeling the economic crisis with reduced bookings:

June 10, 2009

Carnival Corporation & plc Statement on Reinstatement of Fuel Supplements

MIAMI (June 10, 2009) - At the time we suspended fuel supplements for our six North American brands, we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Should I go ahead with my booking?:confused:

I am just about to put a deposit on a 33 day cruise for next April/May.

Bearing in mind that I am booking through HAL in the UK and any deposits I pay are non-refundable, what will happen if the fuel surcharge is re-introduced?

Will it be added to our booking after payment of deposit?

Will I have the option to cancel and get my deposit back?

I do not want to lose £1000 deposit but fuel supplements on a 33 day cruise could be quite substantial.

June 10, 2009

Carnival Corporation & plc Statement on Reinstatement of Fuel Supplements

MIAMI (June 10, 2009) - At the time we suspended fuel supplements for our six North American brands, we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Yes.

The tray threads get some competition!

Stop worrying!

:):):):):)

Would you not worry if there was a possibility that your cruise cost could increase by over $700 with possibly no way of being able to cancel without losing $1600 deposit.

It is ok for those that can just say I will cancel and get my deposit back. We cannot do that.

Also, pipedreams, if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion why do you have to make such facetious comments. I am sure you would also want to find out where you stood if you could possibly lose $700 or $1600.

Archived