Do you take your passport off the ship w/you?

royal girl

First, the OP asked if you need to bring your passport ashore, and I answered factually that you don't have to in Bermuda but I always do.

Several posters have made the point some of us feel better carrying it; others opine they worry about losing it or don't see a need to carry it.

I have never been on a cruise that asked me to surrender my passport. Now that I am aware that is a possibility, I will either (1) avoid those lines or (2) ask them exactly why they need to hold my US-government issued identification. I have run into some administrative rules like this before, and as a determined customer, one can often get them overturned.

The last time I ran into a real stonewall on passports was at hotels behind the Iron Curtain back in the 1980s. Of course, they WANTED to be a pain in the a$$, so there wasn't much you could do. I assume most cruise lines are more customer oriented than the Communist Party.

Clearly, njhorseman, you've never run into anyone who was lacking their passport when they needed it (like I haven't experienced the cruise lines you have). Even in a happy, friendly place like Bermuda, people get themselves inebriated, or decide to buy drugs, or go into a "club." Sometimes tourists just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time; there was a "riot" in Bermuda (the week before we visited) with a mob the police had to break up. Do something wrong, or get caught in the wrong place, and you'll be glad you have a passport which should quickly get some attention from the US Embassy.

Can one avoid these situations? Yes, and I do, but I know many who don't, and I like to get out among the locals, so I can't guarantee I won't be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ever get pulled over for "speeding" in a sleepy small town stateside? Its the same thing, happens the world over. Even in paradise.

Can you still ask for the US Embassy rep? Of course, but until the local constabulary determines who you are, they are under no obligation to pay attention to your requests.

For 99% of the tourists 99% of the time, you'll be fine. I have seen the 1/1%, and it convinced me to carry my passport.

I am not trying to convince you. If you're comfortable with those odds, that's fine by me.

First, the OP asked if you need to bring your passport ashore, and I answered factually that you don't have to in Bermuda but I always do.

Several posters have made the point some of us feel better carrying it; others opine they worry about losing it or don't see a need to carry it.

I have never been on a cruise that asked me to surrender my passport. Now that I am aware that is a possibility, I will either (1) avoid those lines or (2) ask them exactly why they need to hold my US-government issued identification. I have run into some administrative rules like this before, and as a determined customer, one can often get them overturned.

The last time I ran into a real stonewall on passports was at hotels behind the Iron Curtain back in the 1980s. Of course, they WANTED to be a pain in the a$$, so there wasn't much you could do. I assume most cruise lines are more customer oriented than the Communist Party.

Clearly, njhorseman, you've never run into anyone who was lacking their passport when they needed it (like I haven't experienced the cruise lines you have). Even in a happy, friendly place like Bermuda, people get themselves inebriated, or decide to buy drugs, or go into a "club." Sometimes tourists just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time; there was a "riot" in Bermuda (the week before we visited) with a mob the police had to break up. Do something wrong, or get caught in the wrong place, and you'll be glad you have a passport which should quickly get some attention from the US Embassy.

Can one avoid these situations? Yes, and I do, but I know many who don't, and I like to get out among the locals, so I can't guarantee I won't be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ever get pulled over for "speeding" in a sleepy small town stateside? Its the same thing, happens the world over. Even in paradise.

Can you still ask for the US Embassy rep? Of course, but until the local constabulary determines who you are, they are under no obligation to pay attention to your requests.

For 99% of the tourists 99% of the time, you'll be fine. I have seen the 1/1%, and it convinced me to carry my passport.

I am not trying to convince you. If you're comfortable with those odds, that's fine by me.

I knew there had to be an "iron curtain during the cold war" story lurking here. :D

As to our passports being taken from us by the cruise line, I was told by a ship's officer that it was not the doing of the cruise line itself, but rather something they were forced to do by the government of one of the countries we were visiting in order to be granted entry visas...but it was a few years ago, and I may not be recalling the details accurately...other than the fact that the cruise line pointed the finger at some government or governments.

Your analogy to getting pulled over for a traffic violation in a small town makes no sense at all. You think having my NJ drivers license with me is going to get me out of a ticket? All it's going to do is prevent a trip to jail for driving without a license.

And if you're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, do you think a foreign country's police are just going to let you go because you happen to be carrying your US passport?

Having a US passport on you won't make a difference if you do something wrong or are caught in the wrong place at the wrong time in Bermuda.

And if you want to ask for a US Embassy rep a passport is not going to make any more difference than a drivers license for identity purposes.

By the way there is no US Embassy in Bermuda, there is a US Consulate in Hamilton.

I made a specific reference to the need to carry your passport on shore in Bermuda...a place you don't even need a passport to cruise to...and certainly not a far away exotic land.

Just wanted to interject something here. I was a TA trade show (no, I'm not a TA), and was talking with a rep from Bermuda Tourism. I mentioned I would be going there as part of a cruise this October, and the first words she said to me was, "Do you have a passport?"

Yes, Bermuda Immigration is not Bermuda Tourism. But Tourism works on behalf of the government, and this is what they are staying with no differentiation between cruises and air travel:

>Visitors from the USA must present a valid, machine-readable US passort.

>And, as of 8 Jan 2007, passports will be the only recognized travel document for American travellers returning to the USA.

And yes, I know YMMV with regards to how strict cruise lines are in accepting this.

Just wanted to interject something here. I was a TA trade show (no, I'm not a TA), and was talking with a rep from Bermuda Tourism. I mentioned I would be going there as part of a cruise this October, and the first words she said to me was, "Do you have a passport?"

Yes, Bermuda Immigration is not Bermuda Tourism. But Tourism works on behalf of the government, and this is what they are staying with no differentiation between cruises and air travel:

>Visitors from the USA must present a valid, machine-readable US passort.

>And, as of 8 Jan 2007, passports will be the only recognized travel document for American travellers returning to the USA.

And yes, I know YMMV with regards to how strict cruise lines are in accepting this.

This is the requirement at the airport.

The cruises to Bermuda started this year in May. The newer rules have been in effect a week and no cruise line has refused anyone on a round trip that hasn't shown up with a passport. "as of 8 January 2007" these "rules" have been effect and no cruise line has refused entry to any one on a round trip with Bermuda with only a birth certificate and ID. In fact for Bermuda the rules for a cruise ship are exactly the same as they have been since 2001.

You do not "need" a passport for cruise travel on a round trip to Bermuda.

Should you have one? Of course but it is NOT required for a cruise passenger returning to the same US Port and not visiting a non Western Hemisphere Initiative port...

That is still different that taking it off the ship....

...Sometimes tourists just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time; there was a "riot" in Bermuda (the week before we visited) with a mob the police had to break up. Do something wrong, or get caught in the wrong place, and you'll be glad you have a passport which should quickly get some attention from the US Embassy.

If you get caught at the wrong place at the wrong time the chances are you will be "rolled" and both your money and id will be gone.

Also the chances are the police who are generally very helpful in Bermuda will know from your clothes that you are a US citizen and definitely will know as soon as you open your mouth(its not your mouth its any American's mouth)...do you really think that Bermuda that relies on tourists will want to get on CNN as holding an American Tourist because their id was stolen/lost/left on the ship?

As I said I have seen the stats in Egypt for a Brits being needed assistance from the embassy because of Passport or local or other problems. The number 1 problem is lost/stolen passport. The second problem is medical emergency and far down on the list is having an issue with the local authorities.

If you get caught at the wrong place at the wrong time the chances are you will be "rolled" and both your money and id will be gone.

Also the chances are the police who are generally very helpful in Bermuda will know from your clothes that you are a US citizen and definitely will know as soon as you open your mouth(its not your mouth its any American's mouth)...do you really think that Bermuda that relies on tourists will want to get on CNN as holding an American Tourist because their id was stolen/lost/left on the ship?

As I said I have seen the stats in Egypt for a Brits being needed assistance from the embassy because of Passport or local or other problems. The number 1 problem is lost/stolen passport. The second problem is medical emergency and far down on the list is having an issue with the local authorities.

Yes. Bermuda is one of the more civilized places one can visit. The police will be helpful and they won't ask for, expect, or want a bribe!

And you are right. The most likely assistance a US citizen will need from a US Embassy or Consulate when abroad is replacing a missing passport.

Edited by Charles4515

I knew there had to be an "iron curtain during the cold war" story lurking here. :D

As to our passports being taken from us by the cruise line, I was told by a ship's officer that it was not the doing of the cruise line itself, but rather something they were forced to do by the government of one of the countries we were visiting in order to be granted entry visas...but it was a few years ago, and I may not be recalling the details accurately...other than the fact that the cruise line pointed the finger at some government or governments.

Your analogy to getting pulled over for a traffic violation in a small town makes no sense at all. You think having my NJ drivers license with me is going to get me out of a ticket? All it's going to do is prevent a trip to jail for driving without a license.

And if you're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, do you think a foreign country's police are just going to let you go because you happen to be carrying your US passport?

carry a AAA membership card that has on the back a bail assurance when stopped in podunk USA. I have been stopped in some small towns. All I needed to do was to turn over the AAA bail card and my license. Everything else was handled by mail. My son in the back of the car in New Mexico(we learned later) thought they were going to take my away in handcuffs. All I had to do was be respectful, sign the paper they gave me which accused me of speeding and I was on my way and that was with a NY drivers license....I have also been stopped in Butteschsgarden by the local police....all I got there was a warning-in English without my passport in the car(it was at the hotel)

carry a AAA membership card that has on the back a bail assurance when stopped in podunk USA. I have been stopped in some small towns. All I needed to do was to turn over the AAA bail card and my license. Everything else was handled by mail. My son in the back of the car in New Mexico(we learned later) thought they were going to take my away in handcuffs. All I had to do was be respectful, sign the paper they gave me which accused me of speeding and I was on my way and that was with a NY drivers license....I have also been stopped in Butteschsgarden by the local police....all I got there was a warning-in English without my passport in the car(it was at the hotel)

Since you mentioned AAA, I decided to look at my current card...and there was not a word about bail bonds on it. I wonder if they still offer this service.

Since you mentioned AAA, I decided to look at my current card...and there was not a word about bail bonds on it. I wonder if they still offer this service.

I just went to my AAA club's (AAA Mid Atlantic) web site and I could not find a word about bail bonds. I even did a site search, and it came up empty.

Edited by njhorseman

Not on my current card either and nothing about it in the renewal bill I just got.

back of my card

and it wasn't easy to find but http://www.aaa.com/routemaster/html/informedtraveler/BailBond.html

we are also getting ot....

There are different regional AAA clubs. Not on the back of my card but they used to send it as a separate card. Since it is not in the renewal notice I think my club must have dropped it. Notice your link says all clubs don't offer it. I can't find it as a benefit on their web site.

Edited by Charles4515

There are different regional AAA clubs. Not on the back of my card but they used to send it as a separate card. Since it is not in the renewal notice I think my club must have dropped it. Notice your link says all clubs don't offer it. I can't find it as a benefit on their web site.

http://ww1.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/AAAOnline?association=aaa&club=075&zip=07020

according to this under benefits number 14 is bail bonds for Mid Atlantic....

14. Arrest and Bail Bonds**

The $1,000 Guaranteed Arrest Bond is for use if you are arrested for a covered minor traffic violation. It's just like having $1,000 in your wallet. For more serious covered traffic violations, you are protected with a $5,000 Bail Bond Certificate, which is secured by calling the nearest AAA office. For your convenience, please keep the certificate with your membership card. If lost or misplaced, you can call 1-877-720-2530 or visit your local AAA branch office.

Edited by smeyer418

http://ww1.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/AAAOnline?association=aaa&club=075&zip=07020

according to this under benefits number 14 is bail bonds for Mid Atlantic....

14. Arrest and Bail Bonds**

The $1,000 Guaranteed Arrest Bond is for use if you are arrested for a covered minor traffic violation. It's just like having $1,000 in your wallet. For more serious covered traffic violations, you are protected with a $5,000 Bail Bond Certificate, which is secured by calling the nearest AAA office. For your convenience, please keep the certificate with your membership card. If lost or misplaced, you can call 1-877-720-2530 or visit your local AAA branch office.

That link is to AAA North Jersey, not AAA Mid Atlantic.

That link is to AAA North Jersey, not AAA Mid Atlantic.

They do sell cruises to Bermuda at their Travel Agency.

I am AAA Mid Atlantic and it appears that club has dropped the bond benefit. Glad about this discussion because I am not going to renew AAA. Another Roadside Assistance I can join has the bond so I will join that.

Edited by Charles4515

AAA does sell cruises to Bermuda at their Travel Agency. A blatant attempt to disguise this as an on-topic answer. :D

I am AAA Mid Atlantic and it appears that club has dropped the bond benefit. Glad about this discussion because I am not going to renew AAA. Another Roadside Assistance I can join has the bond so I will join that.

Ahem! :D:D

I don't want to bum anyone out or anything, but the US embassy or presence in another country isn't all that helpful. I was taken hostage temporarily by local military in a certain country in Africa, and was let go soon after they found out I wasn't doing anything wrong. The embassy was called when I was taken in, and they showed up late and did nothing but drive to the embassy to file a "complaint." The guy basically said there's nothing they can do if it happens again..you're on your own dude.

Anyhow, I've traveled for business (communications systems integration) to a few dozen countries, and I've known never to expect any help from the US Gov't when out of the country. These were frequently some rough areas and YMMV in nice tropical places, but the gist of what I caught is they can't or won't interfere too much.

Anyhow, I always carry my passport because it "may" help. It's my personal preference, but I think you can understand with my background why I would choose to carry a passport in passport optional locations.

I don't want to bum anyone out or anything, but the US embassy or presence in another country isn't all that helpful. I was taken hostage temporarily by local military in a certain country in Africa, and was let go soon after they found out I wasn't doing anything wrong. The embassy was called when I was taken in, and they showed up late and did nothing but drive to the embassy to file a "complaint." The guy basically said there's nothing they can do if it happens again..you're on your own dude.

That is pretty much what I would expect. We are on our own.

The main thing a US Embassy is going to do for US citizens in a foreign country is issue a new passport if someone loses it. Or if a US citizen working or studying in the foreign country needs a renewal issuing that. That is why I try to minimize losing it or it getting stolen by leaving it on the ship or in the hotel room safe.

Edited by Charles4515

I make copies of our passports and carry them around instead of the originals. I also make copies of all my IDs and credit cards, including all the toll free numbers I may have to call in case I lose my CCs.

You never know what can happen while in another country (bar fight? Hilarious!) and if you need a passport to re-enter the US and don't have it, at least you will have proof that you do, indeed, have one.

True story: I realized I had lost my passport 2 days before I was supposed to be leaving Korea (ex military wife) and since I had a copy of the original, the US Embassy was able to expedite a replacement without me having to come up with all the documents (BC, etc) which I had also misplaced/lost.

Another true story: 2 hours after arriving in Paris, an ATM machine ate our debit card which we were heavily relying on. This was after checking where a sister bank to our bank was where we wouldn't be charged an international ATM fee. With only 100 E in our pockets, we panicked! Thank goodness we had made copies and written down the toll free numbers to call our bank and we had another card within 12 hours. That move saved the day!

That is pretty much what I would expect. We are on our own.

Agree with this as well as with gazoo. Long story but the short of it; my sister and her 18 month ended up in a Turkish prison and even had a mini trial....all in Turkish of course. Their help came from a Turkish family who had befriended them and their TRAVEL INSURANCE company. Onlyt after my BIL paid all kinds of "money under the table" were they able to get out of the country at night under the cover of darkness. American Embassy....ha, don't believe what you see in movies.:rolleyes: