Do you take your passport off the ship w/you?

royal girl

Two points.

First you do not need a passport to cross into Canada just valid ID. However US customs now requires you to have a Passport to enter the US. So any problem you have will be with US customs and Air carriers.

Second You do not need passport on shore but if you have any problems miss boat illness you could have problems.

Actually, as of the first of June anyone entering Canada by land, including US citizens, require a passport. They aren't being sticky about it yet but will be very shortly.

• 6 years later...

For what it's worth, when I leave a cruise ship for a port of call, I take my passport, credit card, cash and medical card. If anything were to happen and I became separated from the ship and it left port, I would have my passport. My passport is worn under the shirt in a pouch to protect it from being lost or pick pockets. The cabin card you are issued on the ship ties you to the ship as long as the ship is in port. Once it leaves, it does no good. Everyone has their own thoughts on this.

You do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise in/out of a US port but from all I read, the cruise lines prefer you to have a passport and may eventually require it. I suggest getting one if you plan to cruise!

For what it's worth, when I leave a cruise ship for a port of call, I take my passport, credit card, cash and medical card. If anything were to happen and I became separated from the ship and it left port, I would have my passport. My passport is worn under the shirt in a pouch to protect it from being lost or pick pockets. The cabin card you are issued on the ship ties you to the ship as long as the ship is in port. Once it leaves, it does no good. Everyone has their own thoughts on this.

You do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise in/out of a US port but from all I read, the cruise lines prefer you to have a passport and may eventually require it. I suggest getting one if you plan to cruise!

Don't know why you resurrected this six year old thread but I don't take my passport off with me in Bermuda. I take my drivers license as photo ID. I do take a copy of my passport. Also your medical card will be worthless in Bermuda. They don't take any US insurance in foreign countries. Also for your information there are no pickpockets in Bermuda. I carry my wallet in my back pocket...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My DH and I ALWAYS take our passports off the ships.. Why.. we get them stamped as they will make great souveniors in years to come, even if it's just to the bahamas, but it gives us a time line.

Me Too. :)

Edited by biker@sea

• 2 weeks later...

On a Mediterranean trip we took with Royal Caribbean, they took all passengers' passports before we entered the ship. Apparently when we stopped they shared our passports with the customs people at the ports and then when we back to Rome we got them back. I still have the glue from the sticker the put on it :P Took forever to rip off!

I can be pretty absent minded sometime and I am always scared of having my purse stolen, so for us, I prefer to leave my passport in the safe. I only bring the passport with me because I have to, otherwise I wouldn't want to travel with it. Sometimes I will take a photo copy of my passport with me, but in a place like Bermuda, I am not overly concerned. We speak the same language, people are friendly, and I don't really forsee any major issues happening there. But I could always be proved wrong! This will be our third trip to Bermuda, love it there. :D