Fuel Surcharge And Tipping

StuartLittle

Here go again and again. Is it inpolite to call someone an idiot?:mad:

Yes it is.

But you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Just because you didn't pick up on the tongue-in-cheek nature of the OP, you shouldn't think of yourself as an idiot.

Others will do that for you.

........I was just wondering what others are/will do if the surcharge is reinstated. :p

StuartLittle,

We will simply pay more if the surcharge is reinstated. Other than that, we'll change nothing.

In regards to fuel prices in general, I should drive slower to get better mileage, but I have not and can not imagine that I ever will.

Tips to my steward have Zero Zip Zilch Nada Nothing to do with fuel surcharges so why would I consider adjusting tips based on a non relevant charge?

That's a GREAT idea!!! I think I'll make it annonymous, but leave out lots of stuff so you have to post to answer. I just know I'll get so much useful information not only for myself, but everyone else as well. :D

Thank you for a great suggestion!! ;)

Just as long as you don't get pissy if someone questions your pointless poll.......oh nevermind you have a sense of humor:p:D LMAO!!

You made me spew pop all over my keyboard. Thanks.:rolleyes:

I mean...no, don't do that cuz...I'd never...do such a thing.

(Actually I will admit I did TRY it on an RCI cruise in Feb but jeez one picture is $20. I just wanted to see what would happen. And it didn't come out too well - all washed out. Them there cruise companies know what they're doin' down there in Miami...

If they re-instate the fuel charge and you feel the need to cut back on your tip, I would like to make a few suggestions. First, bring your own vacume cleaner, clean sheets & towels so that you can make up your own room without the assistance of the room steward. Also, pack lots of lunch meat, bread, and canned foods so that you won't need to use the services of the dining room staff. If you're willing to do all that, then you can justify cutting back on your tiip : ) HAVE A GREAT VACATION.

If they re-instate the fuel charge and you feel the need to cut back on your tip, I would like to make a few suggestions. First, bring your own vacume cleaner, clean sheets & towels so that you can make up your own room without the assistance of the room steward. Also, pack lots of lunch meat, bread, and canned foods so that you won't need to use the services of the dining room staff. If you're willing to do all that, then you can justify cutting back on your tiip : ) HAVE A GREAT VACATION.

Short of bringing my own cold cuts, I think you may be spot on!!!! :eek::D

Oh boy, a picnic ;) :p

StuartLittle,

We will simply pay more if the surcharge is reinstated. Other than that, we'll change nothing.

In regards to fuel prices in general, I should drive slower to get better mileage, but I have not and can not imagine that I ever will.

Tips to my steward have Zero Zip Zilch Nada Nothing to do with fuel surcharges so why would I consider adjusting tips based on a non relevant charge?

But I like to drive as fast as possible to the pier. I really don't want to cut the extra tips to the employees, but one must cut where one can. It's not my fault oil prices increased (unless you consider some of my trading options) now is it?

if carnival reinstates the fuel surcharge, should i reduce the extra tips that i normally give to the employees of carnival? If so, how much should i reduce it by without being too cheap or too generous? I want to try and be in between what everybody else is doing. :p

i won't remove the auto tips. I was just wondering about the extra.... ;)

lmao... :)

I can't wait for the title of his next thread or poll:

"If Carnival adds fuel surcharges should I pay for it out of my tips and eliminate the tux rental for Elegant Nights

OR

Smuggle all my booze onboard and eliminate shipboard excursions to cover some of the fuel surcharges

OR

Have only 18 beers per day instead of 20 ?" :D

Someone's been thinking ahead... ;)

Don't wear a tux, I prefer denim.

I already smuggle all my own booze as it is.

No need to cut back on the beers. I bring my own and have a Carnival plastic cup from my last cruise to pour it in. I don't purchase my excursions through Carnival either (people really do that?? :confused:) :eek:

Any other suggestions on how to cut back beside my extra tips? :D

figures . . . :(

Any other suggestions on how to cut back beside my extra tips? :D

go knock on the kitchen and order the food yourself, instead of using room service, that way, you will save the suggested tip of 1-2 dollars for room service.. :D LMAO

But I like to drive as fast as possible to the pier. I really don't want to cut the extra tips to the employees, but one must cut where one can. It's not my fault oil prices increased (unless you consider some of my trading options) now is it?

StuartLittle,

Yes, it is your fault. Options considered. :)

If Carnival reinstates the fuel surcharge, should I reduce the extra tips that I normally give to the employees of Carnival? If so, how much should I reduce it by without being too cheap or too generous? I want to try and be in between what everybody else is doing. :p

On Uranus, this may be acceptable.

I'm willing to bet you would appreciate a salary reduction if any monies are needed elsewhere.

In any case, this trollish post is moot, as Carnival has already said they are not reinstating a fuel surcharge at this time.

The fuel charge has nothing to do with tipping. Those who serve you hand and foot on the ship have nothing to do with Carnival Corporate's decisions.

The suggested auto-tip is in effect no matter what the price of the cruise is.....so just leave it on your account.

Don't stiff those folks just because you don't like Carnival's pricing policy...not their fault.

OK only got through page 2 - but it sure looks like there are an awful lot of folks who don't read carefully and understand the concept of budgeting.

This post references the auto-tip and OP was talking extra tip - so given the snippy attitude - OP is due an "I'm sorry" here as he never suggested stiffing anyone.

The statement that tipping does not have anything to do with the fuel surcharge indicates that you don't understand the concept of personal budgeting. If someone sets a budget for a vactation and is then hit with an unexpected fuel surcharge, the money has to come from somewhere. So it is related.

The auto tips are always part of our budget - but any extra tipping we do is a function of how much cash we have left at the end of the cruise. If we knew a fuel surcharge was going to mess with our budget, we might take less cash and that might effect how we tipped in the end. More than likely, we would change a shore excursion plan to something less elaborate. As a family of four, we know we can have a great time in most ports for about $100 (Car rental and a beach picnic) - but we budget $200 to $250 per port day.

We're not huge "extra-tippers" in the first place - so I would not begrudge OP cutting back on this front. I did not see the question as trollish because I read it carefully and work from the context that "any extra tipping is totally discretionary" - a position that has gone unrefuted on this board.

PS - I'm pretty sure I'm right about this so don't expect me to give up on it easy. If you want to avoid a week long debate about this - best just to post "You're right Neal" or move on.

Archived