Review - Azamara Quest - Best of Italy '09 5/16 - 5/30

disneyfan1313

Hi Ed,

There are so few posters from the UK on these boards so if you do book the cruise that stops in Greenwich for three days happy to help you with any info about London if I can.

Just to say you will bless the tube if you get to the city - you can get anywhere!!! Just remember to buy a travelcard - this will allow you to travel all day on buses and tubes.

Happy for you to email me on haze.s@btinternet.com if you want any other info

Ciao

Hazel

Thanks, Hazel, for the good advice. We have been to London before, but it has been a while and I will almost certainly have more questions for you.

Disneyfan, I think that you may be on the right track when you comment that it may well be about expectations, and I think that you are certainly right when you point out that Azamara may need to work on how it presents itself in it's advertising and promotions. From my standpoint, this was my third Azamara Cruise, I pretty much knew what to expect from the get-go and was not disappointed in any area. As a matter of fact, my expectations were exceeded; perhaps if I had only read the ads, I might have seen things differently, but I can at least see how different folks "see the glass". This really is where I think that the Cruise Critic Boards do fulfill a need, they do supply first hand information from different viewpoints (usually), and as always, the truth is probably somewhere between the extremes.

Ed--I was (and still am) a huge fan of the play Evita--I saw it on Broadway 30 years ago with Patty Lupone. One of my greatest thrills was to also see the West End production a few years later!!

I am jealous!!! Wish we could join you--but as Marisa reminds me (every chance she gets) "you aren't a real doctor, you just went to school for a decade not to make money!".:rolleyes:

Dam' Annie, we could have done " Don't cry for me Argentina " as a duet.....can you see that on the boat from Capri!!??

I think that you should be able to get off of the tender in Greenwich and go right to the tube and then any where in London you want to go. Yum, real English ale and real fish and chips. At least one show, woo hoo!!

Ed

Dont forget the tea! got to be better than the coffee on Azamara.

Carol

I think that you should be able to get off of the tender in Greenwich and go right to the tube and then any where in London you want to go. Yum, real English ale and real fish and chips. At least one show, woo hoo!!

It sounds like a great itinerary Ed.

Thanks, Hazel, for the good advice. We have been to London before, but it has been a while and I will almost certainly have more questions for you.

Disneyfan, I think that you may be on the right track when you comment that it may well be about expectations, and I think that you are certainly right when you point out that Azamara may need to work on how it presents itself in it's advertising and promotions. From my standpoint, this was my third Azamara Cruise, I pretty much knew what to expect from the get-go and was not disappointed in any area. As a matter of fact, my expectations were exceeded; perhaps if I had only read the ads, I might have seen things differently, but I can at least see how different folks "see the glass". This really is where I think that the Cruise Critic Boards do fulfill a need, they do supply first hand information from different viewpoints (usually), and as always, the truth is probably somewhere between the extremes.

Well said Ed.

Disneyfan1313’s question made me think about Azamara’s “definition”. I too thought at first that they are searching for an identity, but the more I thought about it, the clearer it became.

They have obviously made themselves in the image of a very successful cruise line (Oceania); they have copied all that worked for Oceania (small ships, informal dining, casual atmosphere, similar itineraries, etc). However, to be really successful as a new brand they also had to be different (otherwise people would buy the “old & tried” product). This difference for Azamara became the price (an obvious choice to undercut the competition). This, unfortunately, is subject to the “laws of physics” (i.e. there is no free lunch, there are no miracles and other such common facts of life). Thus their product, while very similar, is not identical – they cannot provide the same level of service/polish for half the price (big surprise to some); anyone who would expect that would be fooling themselves. I am OK with that – I have a choice. It would bother me if Azamara charged the same as Oceania but didn’t deliver the same service. That does not seem to be the case. Azamara knew exactly what they wanted to be and they have succeeded in that (otherwise they would be out of business by now). They provide an experience similar(but not identical) to Oceania at a lower price. People doing their research will know what to expect for what they have paid – fair enough. Others will think they are getting the same product at half price.

It’s not unlike Toyota & Lexus – both very successful car lines (albeit by the same maker) – each delivering a very reliable, predictable product at a predictable price. People have a choice - some must have the Lexus, for others Toyota is the perfect fit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either one.

I agree, Paulchili. I think that the best evidence that they are in fact delivering what they really want to deliver is that they are already showing a significant number of repeat cruisers and if you notice, it is the repeaters who are the most satisfied overall, because they have tried the product, know what to expect, and usually find their expectations ( based on their own personal, private, experience rather than advertising or promotions).

I think Azamara's niche is going to be those people who want very good service and value for money rather than pay for the frills of Oceana or Crystal, and who perfer the more welcoming environment that Azamara offers as opposed to the bigger ship lines.

They seem to have acquired a fairly strong base to this point and I would say that this is still pretty early days for them.

ED

I agree, Paulchili. I think that the best evidence that they are in fact delivering what they really want to deliver is that they are already showing a significant number of repeat cruisers and if you notice, it is the repeaters who are the most satisfied overall, because they have tried the product, know what to expect, and usually find their expectations ( based on their own personal, private, experience rather than advertising or promotions).

I think Azamara's niche is going to be those people who want very good service and value for money rather than pay for the frills of Oceana or Crystal, and who perfer the more welcoming environment that Azamara offers as opposed to the bigger ship lines.

They seem to have acquired a fairly strong base to this point and I would say that this is still pretty early days for them.

ED

Hi Ed, We're going next month on the Azamara Quest and have been on Oceania several times as well as Crystal. Could you elaborate what frills exist on Oceania that we will not find on Azamara. We would like to make sure our expectations are exactly where they should be. We were kind of expecting an identical experience to Oceania...friends of ours said they found it to be the same...would like to know what's missing before we embark...Thanks

Hi Ed, We're going next month on the Azamara Quest and have been on Oceania several times as well as Crystal. Could you elaborate what frills exist on Oceania that we will not find on Azamara. We would like to make sure our expectations are exactly where they should be. We were kind of expecting an identical experience to Oceania...friends of ours said they found it to be the same...would like to know what's missing before we embark...Thanks

I am sure Ed will provide specifics, but as you probably know, there are several threads comparing the 2 lines, both here and on O board. They are full of information and opinions. Well worth reading, IMO, as you will have a better idea of what to expect. Nothing beats being well informed for your trip.

Afterwards you can make your own comparisons, which we would all enjoy reading (I know I would, as I too have an A trip coming up after several O cruises).

I can talk about Crystal since I do have experience there although it's been a while. I don't have any with Oceania, so my comments would have to be second hand. Crystal of course, has been top of the line in our experience, all inclusive, the best of everything, and pricing to match. Also more formal and traditional than some of the other lines that we've sailed.

Azamara, to my thinking, is more relaxed, very welcoming. The food quality is very good to excellent in my opinion; I have personally always found the service to highly personal, the various crew members going out of their way to be accommodating, and the ship's leadership team, from the Captain on down to be very visible, accessible, and responsive if possible. From what I have read ( so please take this with the proverbial grain), Oceania is perceived as being more "up-scale" ( although I would not know how to quantify that), perhaps more inclusive, and more expensive. I have seen a number of posts that would imply that Azamara may be a better value, where price becomes a determining factor. Whether on not anyone has done a study of the net bottom line of an identical cruise between Azamara and Oceania I do not know, but I think that it would be an interesting exercise to my thinking. The comments that I have seen would imply that the differences are not great between the two.

I will be interested to read your comments as it sounds as though you are going be in a good position to make a comparison.

Enjoy your cruise, don't miss the Specialty Restaurants and the Stir Frys in the buffet.

Ed

the ferry was right at the same area that the ones that went to capri, naples, etc were. There are far less ferries to positano (2 different companies each with 2-3 departures and 2-3 returns) than to capri but you should not have any issue getting ones. The time schedules that i found on the internet did not match the times when i got there so you are best to find out when you get off the ship. The bus returning to sorrento was at the "top of the hill" for a lack of a better way to describe it. It is a public bus and can be quite crowded so if that makes you at all skittish for a 45 minute journey on twisted roads you might want to take the boat back as well. The sightseeing bus in sorrento is right where the 1euro shuttle from the port drops you off - you can't miss it.

I would not necessarily recommend doing the trip to naples before pompeii unless you are very adventurous or you have a particular passion to visit naples. We were underwhelmed by naples although we were glad to see another major city in italy.. It has a very different feel than the others we visited. The train from sorrento to pompei is very easy to do - it is a bit of a hike to the train station from where the shuttle drops you off although it can be done in about 10-15 minutes the other option is a quick taxi to the train station and then an easy and quick train ride to pompei. The train drops you off right next to the main pompei entrance - can't beat it. The folks we saw in large groups in pompei looked pretty miserable and often could not see what the guides were talking about because of the crowds. I think renting an audio tour and doing it on your own really is the way to go. On the back of the maps they give you when you rent the audio tour has options for self guided tours of different lengths so you can see how many highlights you can see.

We did purchase the ships transfers in venice for both days. I liked the ease of being dropped off right at the square which worked out perfectly to go back at night and hang out right there.

Done differently? Probably gone up mt. Etna in taromina - lots of folks were raving about it that night. There were lots of places offering 22euro tours when we got off the ship. This sounds horrible, but we probably would not have stressed so much about waking up early for the sail in to venice - you see the same thing leaving the next day... Why wake up so early when you need your energy for a long day in venice.

Miribilandia is a theme park (or amusement park) with quite a few roller coasters.. So probably not your typical trip unless you are into that sort of thing. :)

thanks for the great questions!

this was the best info!!! Couldn't have asked for more - we will definitely follow in your footsteps. We've been to italy before - and know what you mean about naples. Enough said. So, we'll do the tour of sorrento....and positano....and just enjoy the atmosphere. We loved the tip about the 22 euro tours in taorimina...we were going to take the ship's godfatherish type tour - but this sounds like a good alternative. When you got off the boat - where there a variety of tours offered? Were there any other ports that tours were being offered by the locals? One more question - money - did you find that charge cards could be used in most places, or was it necessary to change dollars into euros in order to pay cash? Did you need exact change for busses?

PS

Without trying to get too personal, did you happen to compare the O price for a similar cruise (as they do have many very similar ones)? If so, what was the difference? Did you choose A for itinerary or price? I usually choose by itinerary (better price helps).

Thank you.

PS

Without trying to get too personal, did you happen to compare the O price for a similar cruise (as they do have many very similar ones)? If so, what was the difference? Did you choose A for itinerary or price? I usually choose by itinerary (better price helps).

Thank you.

When we booked our 14 day Azamara cruise a year ago for this summer the fare for a sky suite vs. a penthouse on Oceania was significantly cheaper. We also were attracted to the itinerary but the price played a big part in the decision to book Azamara. Plus when friends of ours had returned last summer from an Azamara cruise and found it virtually identical to their experience on Oceania, we thought we'd give it a try this summer. Outside of the numerous negative comments on the coffee...it sounds like we're in for a wonderful cruise. We are traveling with three other couples who have all traveled on Oceania several times...it will be interesting to compare notes. By the way when we went on a Crystal cruise after having been on three Oceania cruises, we found that Oceania was a much better value in almost every regard for our preferences. We enjoy the open seating and larger cabin size for much less cost. Yes, the production shows on Crystal are far superior but we found that their other onboard activities, which we had heard were numerous and interesting, turned out to be very disappointing. We really like the Oceania product and hope that Azamara is similar.

cruzemaven,

We have a very active roll call for this cruise. Please check it out and join us :)!

Jo

Thank you... I have been following the roll call posts and signed up for the cruise critic cocktail party a while back...looking forward to meeting everyone...ellen:)

Before booking our Azamara Cruise I found in their web site, their Smoking Policy, pretty clear to me, I certainly felt no sympathy for those who booked their cruise and were relagated to the Smoking Section, they all should have been aware of this policy before they booked. I only wish every Cruise Line had this same Smoking Policy.

We have traveled all the Small Cruise ships, Silversea, Sea Dream Yacht Club, Seabourn, Regent ships, makes no difference what ship, or what cruise itinerary, there are and will be folks who have something to complain about, it is just Human Nature. Yes we have found things on just about every Ship that weren't exactly up to our liking, but profoundly

these ships do an excellent job to make sure their passengers enjoy the experience. Learn to except the problems you encounter and go about enjoying the other parts of the Cruise that are usually exceptional.

Maybe Cruising just isn't "our cup of Tea".

this was the best info!!! Couldn't have asked for more - we will definitely follow in your footsteps. We've been to italy before - and know what you mean about naples. Enough said. So, we'll do the tour of sorrento....and positano....and just enjoy the atmosphere. We loved the tip about the 22 euro tours in taorimina...we were going to take the ship's godfatherish type tour - but this sounds like a good alternative. When you got off the boat - where there a variety of tours offered? Were there any other ports that tours were being offered by the locals? One more question - money - did you find that charge cards could be used in most places, or was it necessary to change dollars into euros in order to pay cash? Did you need exact change for busses?

There were tour operators in Taromina, but you had to take the bus into town and walk a bit down the street to find them. You will see the boards in front of the operators stores with the different tours and the prices. Some of the operators were closed and some open on the day we were there so if you *really* want to do the Mt. Etna tour doing a ship tour might be a slightly safer option. Dubrovnik had a TON of tour operators right as you got off the tender at the port - everything from glass bottom boat tours to pirate ship tours to bus tours. The cash vs. credit - most ports were 50 / 50. Transportation options (i.e purchasing bus tickets from the tabachi shop) are always cash and so were some taxis, etc. Smaller shops and restaurants were cash or "the machine is broken" when we handed a credit card over. Have more cash than you think on hand. The only bus you will pay cash on board for is the 1 euro shuttle to take you to the top of the hill in sorrento. Everything else is a ticket purchased at a tabachi shop near by.

Hope that helps!

Even though this site is called Cruise "Critic," reviewers aren't required to search under the cushions for things to criticize. I'm sure there were some "positives" on the ship that deserved equal time with the negatives.

There were - and in my first post I named quite a few of them. I thought the food quality and selection was great, I loved my stateroom host, I loved the ports the timing of the itinerary. I loved the layout of the cabin the quality of the furniture on the verandah, etc.

My biggest issues were the service level and the Azamara brand as a whole.

You will however, have to agree that your conclusions and comments do differ markedly from those of a number of your fellow passengers on this very same cruise.

But then, I guess that's why there are horse races.........

Archived