Review - Azamara Quest - Best of Italy '09 5/16 - 5/30

disneyfan1313

there were - and in my first post i named quite a few of them. I thought the food quality and selection was great, i loved my stateroom host, i loved the ports the timing of the itinerary. I loved the layout of the cabin the quality of the furniture on the verandah, etc.

My biggest issues were the service level and the azamara brand as a whole.

thank you, thank you for the practical information you've shared - i've taken notes and they will accompany us on the cruise. Don't worry about those who insist you should report that everything was perfection....ignore them. Regards.

In February of this year Judy and I took a Caribbean cruise on The Grand Princess. At the end of the 14 days I was more than ready to get off the ship. Also, on the Princess cruise one couple had their bathroom stop up and it took days get it fixed. Guess what line they'll never travel on again. Who can blame them. The point is that comparing experiences can be very different from one traveler to another. Even husbands and wives disagree (heaven forbid) on issues of service, food quality, etc.

The buffet on the Azamara was adequate for breakfast, and lunch and the few times we had dinner there it was very good. The the Italian Feast buffet was excellent. However, does not match the selections of Princess' Horizon Court. The fact that the buffet on Quest was closed after lunch and nothing to offer after the dinner hour, was a surprise. Our second night we missed dinner altogether. Yes, we could have ordered in our room, but it would have taken at least a 1/2 hour or more and we weren't willing to wait. We did not go to bed hungry as we had so much to eat that afternoon, we were still pleasantly full. Another disappointment was the entertainment. However, after a day of touring about I was happy to have a good meal and just go to sleep.

We viewed Azamara as a floating hotel. We took this trip for the itinerary, not for the entertainment or on-board activities. So for us, it was perfect. We didn't have dining issues. We regularly asked for the same waiter in the main dining room, and were accommodated. In Aqualina, we had either Oana or Nora, both of whom were superb. We were pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a surcharge for eating there. The extra for the tip was well worth it. Cim, the maitre de of Aqualina, was very pleasant and helpful.

I agree that it was probably not necessary to be thanked in the main dining room by every waiter and busboy as we walked out. It always provided me with a smile for the excess. But far better, than getting nasty looks when you are near closing and the wait staff is trying to close up shop for the evening. I never witnessed any texting or cell phone use on board by staff.

We were greeted by the staff in royal fashion when we returned from our excursions with cold towels and and lemonade or water

at the dock when awaiting ferry or tender service and at the ship with"Welcome Home!" A nice touch.

I never thought I would like a smaller ship as compared to the Ruby Princess or Grand Princess. I had even thought the Coral Princess was too small. However, I found Azamara intimate rather than small. We met our friends from CruiseCritic wherever we went on board, and even in ports we visited.

We booked this trip not knowing any one else. Through CC.com we met wonderful people and by the time we boarded we had established a list of cruisers who soon were to be our FRIENDS. And that was not all, Harriet, knew a first cousin of mine, he was her podiatrist; a small world.

To sum it up, yeah we loved it!. And we booked another Quest cruise in Oct 2010, Greece and Turkey.

Hi Mike & Judy,

Should I be worried that Marisa & I are taking a cruise to Canada/NE from NY on the Caribbean Princess?

Will they pass out cucumbers?:eek:

Annie

No, not at all. You will have a wonderful time. But understand it does not have the intimate flavor of the Azamara Quest. Eat early and catch the shows. The really great productions are usually shown twice on the same night. Lounge shows are also good, but I tend to shy away from comics. How many times can you hear the story of the woman, (I know it's sexist, but it is always a woman in the story) who got stuck on the toilet seat when she flushed? And then hear a swooshing sound aped by the comedian.

Horizon court buffets are usually very good but it can get crowded.

I don't remember if we sailed on this ship or not, if not, we were on a sister ship.

We are canceling our January cruise on the Grand P. as it will going to the same ports we went to this past winter. After Azamara, we will be more selective. We will sail on Princess again.

Best to you and Lady M.;);)

Miss you guys

please send email address to me so I can send you an invitation to view photos: 552mike@ewol.com

I'm almost ready. I finished the Amalfi coast sequence which includes a few photos of the CC meet up.

Hi Mike & Judy,

Should I be worried that Marisa & I are taking a cruise to Canada/NE from NY on the Caribbean Princess?

Will they pass out cucumbers?:eek:

Annie

>>>>>>butting in.....although I was late to the "cucumber incident" party that day, I heard all about it! I think about you with every salad I eat where cucumbers pass my LIPS!

Well, you see I was originally leaving this subject alone, but now I am doomed to respond as an eye witness to this memorable event.

You can't make this up. Oh, how I would like to guest speak at one of Annie's classes. Subject: The making of a cucumber salad, or I ate it all up.

:D:D:D:D:D

Well, you see I was originally leaving this subject alone, but now I am doomed to respond as an eye witness to this memorable event.

You can't make this up. Oh, how I would like to guest speak at one of Annie's classes. Subject: The making of a cucumber salad, or I ate it all up.

Please, do tell the cucumber story (or if it was told already, please point me in that direction).

Thanks.

I have a picture!:D

Jean Your pic site doesn't have photos listed from the Quest.

Also, do you have an email list of CC's Quest? I have some names but not all.

Please, do tell the cucumber story (or if it was told already, please point me in that direction).

Thanks.

I think it's Annie's story to tell. The mystery continues........:D

1896191698_DSC_2759(Large).jpg.7cc51b4118000b94ca9b2085bbcc9920.jpg

>>>>>>butting in.....although I was late to the "cucumber incident" party that day, I heard all about it! I think about you with every salad I eat where cucumbers pass my LIPS!

Hey Italian girl--you should know better--Only wasps use food for non-eating purposes (unless it is garlic to ward off evil spirits!!). If it it's food--we eat it!

Hey Mike (and I am sure this is Mike and not Judy!!)--Believe it or not, I have the reputation as an "ice maiden" among students!! Please do not threaten to reveal anything that might "humanize" me--it will spoil my reputation!!

Thanks.

OK--at the risk of appearing foolish--just to prove I am not the ice maiden my students think I am---here goes.

While enjoying a very warm sea day poolside with my new CC friends, a server passed out cucumber slices while dispensing cold towels. I, revealing my working-class Italian background--and much to the horror of my partner and server but to the amusement of the table--mistakenly thought the slices were to refresh my palate. Jean (Critterchick) (after she removed the cucumbers from her eyes) became hysterical as did the rest of the table--and the cucumber incident became the "inside joke" for the remainder of the cruise. While it is probably due to my humble origins--I think it might also be due to the fact that I, unlike some of my CC friends, do not need to use cucumbers to alleviate eye bags!

So now Paul, when you are poolside and the cart comes by--you will remember me and you have never even met me!!!

We had so much fun at that table that day that I never really did sunbath--but I will also remember it as one of the best times of the cruise!!

Jean Your pic site doesn't have photos listed from the Quest.

Also, do you have an email list of CC's Quest? I have some names but not all.

Thanks.

I think it's Annie's story to tell. The mystery continues........:D

Nothing is organized yet. And there's not a chance in hell that I'm putting that photo up - I'm in it, too, and I look a lot sillier with the slices on my eyes than Annie does munching on them!:eek::D

I don't have a list of emails, just a few (probably the same as you) of the folks that I chatted with about hotels, excursions, luggage, etc.

OP, sorry we've hijacked your review!:o

OK--

So now Paul, when you are poolside and the cart comes by--you will remember me and you have never even met me!!!

We had so much fun at that table that day that I never really did sunbath--but I will also remember it as one of the best times of the cruise!!

Thanks for sharing the story.

Given the choice, I too would rather eat the cucumber than put it in/on my eyes (especially if it was marinated in vinegar & sugar, as my favorite Hungarian cucumber salad recipe calls for).

Sounds like you all had a great time!

Thanks for sharing the story.

Given the choice, I too would rather eat the cucumber than put it in/on my eyes (especially if it was marinated in vinegar & sugar, as my favorite Hungarian cucumber salad recipe calls for).

Sounds like you all had a great time!

Well, I'm not blind, so they must not have been pickled!:D

Thank you so much, disneyfan1313 and critterchick for your very informative reviews and to the others for sharing their experiences too. I'm going to copy some of your port information, such as Sorrento and La Spezia hiking, for future reference.

We have primarily cruised on Celebrity but are strongly considering one of the Azamara cruises for next year that includes Italy.

For Taormina: We have been to this lovely town before but via a Celebrity excursion from Messina. How far is the port (Naxos) to Taormina? Did AZ offer a shuttle to Taormina, is it easy to walk to without getting lost or creamed by traffic, or how did you get there if you didn't do an excursion?

What wonderful itineraries AZ has and such a great opportunity to see some ports we couldn't easily see otherwise!

Thanks again,

Kathy

There is a free shuttle to the town of Taormina which takes you from the port to a parking garage where you take an elevator up to the town itself. I think that having seen the road, it would be quite a hike from the port to the town. The attached picture is the town from our verandah.

IMGP5607.jpg.213ca92c6a513378461ebfca5b698892.jpg

Ed,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Good, we'll take the shuttle if our itinerary includes Taormina and save our legs for lots of walking in Taormina. If not too many miles and too much traffic, we may walk back. We like to average at least 10 miles per day of walking in port with anywhere from 6 miles minimum to 20+ miles maximum. It certainly would be a scenic walk judging by our last time in Taormina and the beautiful view from your veranda.

Kathy

Archived