Is it warm enough to swim in December?

asmitty

Does anyone have a weather report from a very recent cruise? I am taking my 5 yr old daughter on the Z on 12/18 (to the Bahamas) and the thing she is most excited about is swimming. I hope that atleast one of the pools might be heated and/or it will be warm enough for her to swim. Also, can anyone tell me what the weather on HMC has been like? Again, warm enough to swim w/o blue lips and chattering teeth?

Thanks for you help!

We visited HMC on Dec. 3rd and I swam for a good long time. You daughter will enjoy the water and the new Childrens park on the beach. Sher should enjoy the water as it was chilly at first but very pleasant in a few minutes! Hope you all have fun!:cool:

P.S. Not sure if the Lido pool was heated but I also swam there and it was quite warm and was fresh, not salt water.

We are sailing on the Z on 12/18 also. I went to the Weather Channel online and looked up Nassau and Key West (couldn't get HMC, obviously) and both said the highs for the days we are going to be there are in the mid-70s.

I'm hoping for a heated swimming pool on the ship! :)

It is swim weather year round in the Caribbean. Sure, some days will be rainy, cloudy etc but it is unlikely you would have a whole week when she would not be able to swim. It HAS happened; but not often.

If the pools are heated on the Z, then they certainly were not on during our trip in October. Being the in the pool was "refreshing" which was nice since it was getting mighty hot out at the aft pool in the sun but you didn't really want to spend more than 10 minutes in the pool at a time. After the game of crew vs. passenger volleyball everyone ran to the hot tubs to warm up since the water was so brisk. That was all at the aft pool.

Well, we got into the 30s here last night in SOUTH Florida! Today is only going up to the low 60s.

Not too many people will be going to the beach!

I heard the weather forecaster from WPB say that it was cold in the Bahamas last night.

I just checked the paper and it said Nassau would be in the 50s at night, low 70s by day.

I guess it all depends on what you're used to, weatherwise. My family from Boston would think it's warm down here, but I'm freezing!

Another cold spell is due this weekend, too.

My son & his soon-to-be Bride will be cruising on 12/20 to the bahama's. It is only predicting the mid 70's as florida-mom indicated. Sounds like it's going to be cooler than normal. I told my son to pack the swimsuit - but play it by ear.

Being from upstate New York where the water temp. in the lakes barely hits 70, the water in the Bahamas and on the ship felt extremely refreshing to me. I spent a long time in the water at HMC on Dec. 3rd, and was not the least bit cold. But the air temp. was in the 80's and the water temp. was also about 80. That is very warm to me.

Mary Ellen

I'm in south Florida and it's in the 30's right now. Brrrr! We Floridians get this kind of weather once in a while, but we never really take it seriously, so consequently we're running around in jeans and a t-shirt from our car to the store freezing to death. :)

Anyway, a high of 73 is going to be some pretty cold swimming weather. For me anyway! But I'm on the gulf coast and like it when the water is warm. Certainly people that come visit our beaches from other, colder, parts of the country swim when it is much colder than what I can handle. So, enjoy! I think the hot tubs sound pretty good.... ;)

It's on the cool side here [upper 60s today] and another cold spell is predicted for Sunday/Monday.

It's supposed to go back into the 30s at night, reaching into the 60s in the daytime.

Right now, water temp is 77.

The TV news is showing people bundled up at the beach. A local shelter here has opened and they're giving out blankets.

Caribbean temps [which are printed in our newspaper] for today are in the 80s except for Nassu,which is in the 70s. Lows are in the 70s, with Nassau in the 50s.

How spoiled are we Floridians!! But I agree..I'm cold sitting here in the house now..I've been cold all week and I'm tired of it already....I know those from the north would think we are crazy..BUT ..It's cold and I'm whining!

Seriously...I don't know about Holland's pools...in my experience..X's aren't heated...Norwegian aren't either....Princess' seemed to be and so did a recent RCCL.that DH and I were just on...good luck and good weather..!

Is It Warm Enough To Swim In December?

Yes, it is but she would be much better off swimiing in one of the pools or in the ocen. :-)

We were on the December 6th cruise of the Volendam and the water in the main pool was quite warm the entire trip. The ocean water was quite warm everywhere we stopped except HMC. On that day winds were high consequently all shore excursions for snorkeling, parasailing, kayaking, etc. were cancelled.

HMC was still beautiful even though it was a little chilly and windy.

Archived