Wireless on Solstice

Morris4me

Just bought a netbook computer and will be experiencing wireless computing for the first time. I bought this little machine because it's so compact and I'll easily be able to take it on vacations with me.

I thought I read that all cabins on Solstice class ships have wi-fi capability. Can anyone verify this? Also, what does Celebrity charge for wireless access?

We were on the Solstice in February. We loved everything about the ship. Wireless is available in all staterooms. Was the fastest internet I've ever encountered on a ship. Best thing to do is to buy a package on the day you embark. They offer extra minutes and some small deals to Captains Club members. Think I paid $99 for their most minute package but there are cheaper packages available. Enjoy the cruise!

I was on the Solstice in May. I experienced really slow wireless in our room, tried their computers, still super slow! The minutes add up really quickly. We just used the per minute rate, unless you buy the big package, doesn't save you much. Wish they would offer an unlimited rate per day.

A reminder to all that the internet connection on any ship is dependent on satellites. Therefore, depending on where the ship is, you can have very fast or very slow speeds. We used the Wifi during our Med cruise and only found a few times that we had slow signal.

Internet packages are for each cruise – we are on a B2B also, and each are treated separately. On the 1st day, they offer a 20% increase in hrs for each package. If you are Elite, you get a coupon book with another 20% discount. Can’t use them together, but if you plan to use the internet a good deal, use the 1st day increase and then add the coupon discount later. You’ll need to do that for each cruise ‘leg’ on a B2B.

I recently purchased a mini laptop (7”) and it’s perfect for me on cruises. Internet, journaling, and managing my digital photos.

Here is the Website info:

Internet access is available in the Internet Café 24 hours a day until 6:00 AM on debarkation Day. (My Note: On Solstice, Internet is avail throughout the ship. On M and C Class I used the internet in the Cova Café and had good connections).

Wireless access points are located in several areas around the ship*. To access wireless internet, you will need to bring along your own laptop.

In order to take advantage of this service, the guest must bring their own laptop, which must have the following requirements:

Windows-based operating systems

Internal modem

Dial-up Internet capabilities

Wireless access card.

Internet minutes are available at 5 different rates:

$0.65 cents per minute with no package.

$40 for 75 minutes

$60 for 125 minutes

$80 for 185 minutes

$100 for 260 minutes.

Please Note:

Apple MAC default browser (Safari) is not compatible with the Wireless network onboard. Please obtain Firefox or Internet Explorer for MAC prior to accessing the Wireless system onboard.

Denny

Internet packages are for each cruise – we are on a B2B also, and each are treated separately. On the 1st day, they offer a 20% increase in hrs for each package. If you are Elite, you get a coupon book with another 20% discount. Can’t use them together, but if you plan to use the internet a good deal, use the 1st day increase and then add the coupon discount later. You’ll need to do that for each cruise ‘leg’ on a B2B.

I recently purchased a mini laptop (7”) and it’s perfect for me on cruises. Internet, journaling, and managing my digital photos.

Internet access is available in the Internet Café 24 hours a day until 6:00 AM on debarkation Day. (My Note: On Solstice, Internet is avail throughout the ship. On M and C Class I used the internet in the Cova Café and had good connections).

Wireless access points are located in several areas around the ship*. To access wireless internet, you will need to bring along your own laptop.

In order to take advantage of this service, the guest must bring their own laptop, which must have the following requirements:

Internal modem

Wireless access card.

$40 for 75 minutes

$60 for 125 minutes

$80 for 185 minutes

$100 for 260 minutes.

Please Note:

Apple MAC default browser (Safari) is not compatible with the Wireless network onboard. Please obtain Firefox or Internet Explorer for MAC prior to accessing the Wireless system onboard.

Denny

THanks for the info ..I think we are on the same B2B..Solstice in Nov.?

THanks for the info ..I think we are on the same B2B..Solstice in Nov.?

Yes, we are cruising on the Solstice E. Med 20 Nov and TA 30 Nov. Should be great. There are lots of us going B2B. I'm still working, but decided to go for it.

We'd signed up for the TA and inviited some good friends. They signed up and added the E. Med. At first, thought it was too long (and costly), but after thinking through that we'd end up staying in Rome for a while before the TA, decided it was close to cost and time to just go on the E. Med and fly into Rome the day before. Now with the cost drops on the E. Med, it looks like a great idea!

We can talk more on the Roll Call and not change the subject here too much!

For Internet info: I bought an Asus Eee 7inch for cruising. Perfect for the internet. It's cheap (~$300), rugged (digital drive), small and light. As I said, I transfer my photos (it has a SD slot) and move them to another memory stick and remove them fromt camera SD. I actually journal using it, and it's great for the Internet. Small for the cafe tables (used it a the Cova Cafe on M and C class). With SR internet on Solstice, I won't have to take it around much at all and enjoy the Balcony. May take it up for drinks, but I end up socializing.

Looking forward to 'talking' more on the Roll Call, and maybe joining up!

Denny

iIwas on the Solstice in January and found the resposne varies. If you avoid daytime business hours, pre and post dinner time you will have more success. I clocked the download and upload speed and it was fast at the odd hours. Consider that during the daytime the business side of the ship is communicating with homeoffice and the crew also use the internet. This is in addition to the pax who use it during the day! so the routers get a workout.

I was quite happy with signal strength, but then again I have a premium wireless unit in my laptop.

By the way you can use your Apple or Google Phone too.

Denny, interesting about the Safari, because on my Mac Air, Safari worked just fine with the wifi on Infinity and Constellation.

On our Infinity Jan 09 S American cruise, someone told me their Apple Safari worked. I was thinking of not adding that Note but since it's still there, thought I better keep it in. Not sure what is going on there.

Denny

• 2 weeks later...

Two points I'd like to add.

First on Safari: I took a Macbook on my most recent Celebrity cruise (Galaxy, 2007) and I had to use IE on one of the on-board computers to set up my on-board account - I suspect that there is php code that is responding to events triggered in IE that simply don't occur in Safari. However, once the account was set up I was able to use Safari for all my ongoing browsing, email connections, etc.

Now for a question from me. I now have a MacBook Pro which I'd rather not risk by taking on my forthcoming Solstice cruise. I do have an old laptop PC, an IBM Thinkpad R40E with XP Pro, which still works well. However the only wifi I have available for it (it didn't have wifi built-in) is via an equally old Netgear cardbus card, which only provides 802.11b, the early 11 Mbps standard. Does anyone know if the wifi routers on Solstice will respond to connection requests from an 812.11b device?

Haven't been on Solstice yet, but my experience is that might be better to upgrade. The old 'b' system is still viable on many current Wifi's but could run into an issue. And it's pretty slow comparitively, and could really lug down on board.

Might be better to purchase a new card, OR consider one of the mini-notebooks a few of us have talked about. Mine was <$300USD, very good internet support and handy. I bought a rubber rollup keyboard for ease of use. Bought it just for travel, but using it more and more.

Just an idea.

Denny

Might be better to purchase a new card, OR consider one of the mini-notebooks a few of us have talked about. Mine was <$300USD, very good internet support and handy. Just an idea.

Denny

Ditto on the notebook. So easily transportable and mine is pretty fast. Also paid <$300 for it. Looking forward to trying it on the cruise.

Internal modem

Wireless access card.

$40 for 75 minutes

$60 for 125 minutes

$80 for 185 minutes

$100 for 260 minutes.

Please Note:

Denny

Just buy a wireless turbo stick form any T-Mobile in Europe. I have one from the UK and use it when ever I'm in Europe. I can reload it on line and in works in every port. It is much much cheaper to use local service and not the ships. I use T-Mobile cause it works the best in all the countries. You can buy one in any cellular store. I also have a European pre paid cell phone that is 75% cheaper than any North American roaming service.

Just bought a netbook computer and will be experiencing wireless computing for the first time. I bought this little machine because it's so compact and I'll easily be able to take it on vacations with me.

I thought I read that all cabins on Solstice class ships have wi-fi capability. Can anyone verify this? Also, what does Celebrity charge for wireless access?

We researched free wifi in port and just took our netbook there...most mcdonalds have free wifi...it depends how close the free wifi is to the ship.....I would not want to carry a netbook for hours....

Archived