Formal night! Military dress alright?

normdamarine

My wife and I are going on our first cruise and it just so happens to be a belated honeymoon. We were not able to do one when we got married due to deployments and other personal agendas. We have been married for several years now and I want this cruise to not be special but one that would be remembered. We go to our Marine Corps Birthday Ball every year so she gets to wear a gown ever year but I thought it would be cool to wear my Marine Corps Dress Whites while on ship for formal night... Any thoughts? Has anyone ever cruised before and seen something like this? I am sure that I am not the first one to do this so I am just looking for some input...

Dress%20Blue%20White.jpg

As a Viet Nam era veteran, thank you for volunteering to defend our nation.

You will be most welcome to wear your Marine dress uniform at dinner on formal nights. You will look very nice wearing it. I have seen men both active duty and retirees in their dress military uniforms on just about every cruise I have been. I have also seen men in their dress kilts on formal nights and they look quite handsome.

Please notify the ship that you are on a belated honeymoon. They will do something special for you one night.

As a diasabled veteran myself, I'm always very proud to see any nations (should I place "allied" disclaimer here) active duty members wearing their dress military uniform on the cruise I'm on.

As stated earlier, if I'm on board with you, you will most likely find a drink coming your way sometime throughout the cruise.

My uncle always wears his uniform to one formal night each cruise. The appreciation other cruisers showed him that night and all following that night is amazing. So if you want to wear your uniform, I say go for it, I personally wouldn't stop you; and I thank you for serving & wanting to wear your uniform while you are on vacation

It's almost always appropriate to wear full dress whites to formal occasions.

By the way, thank you for your service and if you're on the same boat as us I hope you don't mind if we come over and shake your hand.

Absolutely go for it! Although I am not American (British) I live in the US and it is my home and I am proud of both British and American troops or servicing their countries. I am sure that my husband-to-be and I would be one couple out of many others who would want to shake your hand and buy you a drink.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Very common and very dignified. Also common not to buy any drinks, fellow pax will be offering you drinks on their tab all night. Or at least they should be.

And in dress whites, you will likely be asked to take pictures alongside other pax as well.

A great time to be the perfect ambassador you already are.

Appropriate - ABSOLUTELY. Thank you for your service and for posting this question so that other active duty and retired personnel can see how appreciated they are.

All through my childhood my father and mother dressed up for "command performances," he in his dress blues and she in her gown. It's now a great memory and still a source of pride for me. Have a super cruise!

You will look ultra dapper!! Since you are so obviously proud to wear the uniform, you should do it! I am proud of you serving and would love to see you on formal night showing off! Enjoy your well deserved vacation and honeymoon!

I am truly appreciative of all your thanks and responses. I know this may sound a little wierd but I get a little uncomfortable when I have many people do what you all are saying would happen. It is kind of odd because I am a loud, outgoing person who always to seem to be in the middle of attention. I guess I feel really humble when I get all that attention because of wearing that uniform. I have been in the Marine Corps for 16 years and I have still not gotten use to it yet, I am sure that I never will...

I guess I am just a little concerned because I am cruising on CCL and I have heard the dress standards are not always high... More relaxed and I do not want to be the one sticking out like a sore thumb... But I am just going to wear it and roll with the flow...:D

Thank you all again... Semper Fi

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever cruised before and seen something like this? [/quote]

Several years ago, when I was active duty USCG, I wore my dinner dress uniform on formal night. This was on the Seaward with NCL. The uniform scored me a trip to the bridge and I was allowed to drive the bowthrusters when leaving Martinique.

I am truly appreciative of all your thanks and responses. I know this may sound a little wierd but I get a little uncomfortable when I have many people do what you all are saying would happen. It is kind of odd because I am a loud, outgoing person who always to seem to be in the middle of attention. I guess I feel really humble when I get all that attention because of wearing that uniform. I have been in the Marine Corps for 16 years and I have still not gotten use to it yet, I am sure that I never will...

I guess I am just a little concerned because I am cruising on CCL and I have heard the dress standards are not always high... More relaxed and I do not want to be the one sticking out like a sore thumb... But I am just going to wear it and roll with the flow...:D

Thank you all again... Semper Fi

If I were in the same room as you on a cruise, I would be the one feeling humble. I think it is just wonderful that you have been in the Marine Corps for 16 years. Wear your uniform with pride and please take some pictures for us! Have a wonderful cruise!

This post sounds so familiar, lol! My husband and I were not able to take a honeymoon either so when he got back from Iraq last fall we went on a cruise over Thanksgiving as a welcome home from Iraq, belated honeymoon, and belated birthday gift for him as he turned 25 in Iraq. He doesn't own a suit so he wore his dress blues to the first formal dinner. I wore my dress from the ball the year before and we actually missed the Marine Corps Ball because it was during the week we were on vacation.

My husband is attempting to go to OCS with the MCP program (find the results of the board in the next few weeks) and if he gets it, he'll be gone for the ball this year too. But we're going on another cruise in 2 months so we will get to wear our formal wear again

When are you cruising?

We are cruising in the begining of July... I wish your husband the best. I turned down a chance for the MECEP years ago, for various reasons to include personal ones. I am glad I did turn it down now, yeah it would have been nice to be an officer but I like where I am preffesionally as well as my personal life. If I would have taken it, then I would not have meet my wife nor have the wonderful children I have now. I would not change that for anything...

Side question, did you and you husand feel like you were over dressed or that people were staring at you...

Also on the wild Marine side. I am always worried about Habib da Terrorist seeing me on a ship in International waters and knifing me and throwing me over board... I know that may sound weird to some but you gotta be aware of things like that... seriously...:cool:

My wife and I are going on our first cruise and it just so happens to be a belated honeymoon. We were not able to do one when we got married due to deployments and other personal agendas. We have been married for several years now and I want this cruise to not be special but one that would be remembered. We go to our Marine Corps Birthday Ball every year so she gets to wear a gown ever year but I thought it would be cool to wear my Marine Corps Dress Whites while on ship for formal night... Any thoughts? Has anyone ever cruised before and seen something like this? I am sure that I am not the first one to do this so I am just looking for some input...

Totally acceptable. I have seen fellow passengers in dress blue, dress mess and dress whites on just about every cruise. Wear it in pride.

My husband is a Marine and we went on our first cruise last April for our 10th wedding anniversary celebration and he went in his blues and I wore a red strapless gown (the same one I wore to the ball that year) and we had people coming up to us all night. My husband was VERY uncomfortable with the stares and men wanting to shake his hand and thank him.. he just didn't know what to say. I was proud to have him in his blues because he is such a wonderful man and wonderful Marine (not to mention USMC blues are the sexiest uniform I've ever laid eyes on) but he was so uncomfortable with all the attention and I didn't like him feeling that way. We are leaving for the Bahamas on our 2nd cruise on Monday the 22nd and I did not ask him to wear his blues this time only for his comfort. We are going much more casual this year.

My husband is a Marine and we went on our first cruise last April for our 10th wedding anniversary celebration and he went in his blues and I wore a red strapless gown (the same one I wore to the ball that year) and we had people coming up to us all night. My husband was VERY uncomfortable with the stares and men wanting to shake his hand and thank him.. he just didn't know what to say. I was proud to have him in his blues because he is such a wonderful man and wonderful Marine (not to mention USMC blues are the sexiest uniform I've ever laid eyes on) but he was so uncomfortable with all the attention and I didn't like him feeling that way. We are leaving for the Bahamas on our 2nd cruise on Monday the 22nd and I did not ask him to wear his blues this time only for his comfort. We are going much more casual this year.

Yes, that I what I am a little worried about. I have a chest full of ribbones and everyone stares and ask me all kinds of questions like "What is that for?" Did you shoot someone to get any one those? Things like that and then I ge real tense... I know most people don't mean any harm and they are just living those moments through my eyes but it is hard sometimes... It is hard to answer some of those questions at times but my wife usually does a great job of stepping in and helping us to move along.

And then there is the "Hey let me buy that for you and let me get you a drink". I feel so out of place when others do that. My wife understands where I am coming from and she always tells me it is just peoples way of saying thank you for doing what we do but I feel like I do not need any thanks. I do wha tI do because I like it, although one of the hardest things to do but I truly love it. If anyone should be getting drinks bought for them it should be my wife for all the times she has had to put up with my career... One of the toughest occupations in the world, the spouse of a servicemember... I couldnt do it...

My husband is a (former) Marine. That dress uniform is gorgeous! Wear it.

We have sailed with friends & the husband is still on active duty. He always wears his dress uniform. A few people have said stuff mostly thank you.

I'm one for asking about medals b/c DH was out of the service by the time we met so I didn't know him then. I just want to know what they mean. I could see where having a stranger asking about killing people would be awful (nice dinner conversation :rolleyes:) but most of us are just curious & interested b/c we know you are making sacrafices for us.

I have only been on one cruise and it was on the Carnival Victory. There was a Marine on our cruise that wore his dress uniform on formal nights. I think that it was 110% okay that he did so. Please do! You deserve any and all attention that comes your way for the price you (and many other men and women) pay defending our freedom.

Wear it!

Yes, that I what I am a little worried about. I have a chest full of ribbones and everyone stares and ask me all kinds of questions like "What is that for?" Did you shoot someone to get any one those? Things like that and then I ge real tense... I know most people don't mean any harm and they are just living those moments through my eyes but it is hard sometimes... It is hard to answer some of those questions at times but my wife usually does a great job of stepping in and helping us to move along.

And then there is the "Hey let me buy that for you and let me get you a drink". I feel so out of place when others do that. My wife understands where I am coming from and she always tells me it is just peoples way of saying thank you for doing what we do but I feel like I do not need any thanks. I do wha tI do because I like it, although one of the hardest things to do but I truly love it. If anyone should be getting drinks bought for them it should be my wife for all the times she has had to put up with my career... One of the toughest occupations in the world, the spouse of a servicemember... I couldnt do it...

I totally hear where you're coming from. I agree 100% that the toughest job in the Corps is that of a spouse :) It just comes down to this.... it's YOUR vacation too and you should be able to relax. For my husband it was VERY uncomfortable and he felt very anxious when people kept staring at him and pointing (even though it was good type of staring and pointing it still made him uncomfortable) and coming up to him to say thank you and he felt as it was unnecessary and made him feel awkward. He isn't wearing his blues this time because he does want to relax and not feel as though he's "on display". With that being said.... if you feel you can still relax and enjoy your cruise with practically all eyes on you and lots of hand shakes and comments.... for sure wear your blues. I love USMC blues and love to see Marines proudly wearing them :) Our formal portraits turned out GORGEOUS....better than any we've ever gotten from a USMC birthday ball. ;) I work at a law firm and one of our attorneys was saying, "oh yeah George will probably have people buying him drinks all night long".... not so much.... I was kinda hoping he'd get a few free drinks out of it but surprisingly not. lol

Archived