Mariner - Late booking - no luggage tags - what did you do?

Hi all,

I booked late on a cruise on the Mariner. I usually book well in advance, and have all the luggage tags I need. I just spoke with RC and they said just give your bags to the handlers and they will know what to do.... Is that out at the curb? How to they know? Should I carry them all in and get tags at the check in counter? :confused: Maybe I should make up my own tags....:confused: I am really good at that... What color should deck 10 Be? Just wondering.....

Take a deep breath, you are fine. :D

When you show up at the port, you will be directed to the porters who will take your bags even before you go into the port building to check in. The porters will have tags you can fill out, and throw on your luggage right then and there. All you need to know is your cabin number.

Hi all,

I booked late on a cruise on the Mariner. I usually book well in advance, and have all the luggage tags I need. I just spoke with RC and they said just give your bags to the handlers and they will know what to do.... Is that out at the curb? How to they know? Should I carry them all in and get tags at the check in counter? :confused: Maybe I should make up my own tags....:confused: I am really good at that... What color should deck 10 Be? Just wondering.....

From what I understand, they have done away with color coding by deck (Cant remember where I read that).

They will have luggage tags at the port, and if you look at your online cruise docs (its a PDF file that is attached to your "My Cruises" on the RCCL webpage), you will see a sample of the luggage tag in there.

It's okay! As others mentioned, they have blank luggage tags as you arrive. The porters will write in your room # (make sure you have that) before taking your luggage.

I used E docs this time around, so I actually didn't get real luggage tags in advance.

Which Mariner cruise are you on? I'm leaving this Sunday!

It's okay! As others mentioned, they have blank luggage tags as you arrive. The porters will write in your room # (make sure you have that) before taking your luggage.

I used E docs this time around, so I actually didn't get real luggage tags in advance.

Which Mariner cruise are you on? I'm leaving this Sunday!

absolutely true. We arrived, showed the porters our documents and they did the rest from there with the luggage tags. All or our FIVE bags showed up just fine.

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have trusted the RC rep when she said not to worry about it.. I worry about everything, that is why I love cruising so much. They take care of everthing for me, and I get to finally relax.

For all those leaving on the Mariner in the next few weeks please do reviews when you get back and post compasses if you can. We will be sailing in 8 weeks and have been deprived of any Mexican Riviera reviews. Want to make sure all is the same as it was before they started doing the PNW cruises.

Thanks and enjoy!!! :D Wish it was my turn now!!!

From what I understand, they have done away with color coding by deck (Cant remember where I read that).

They will have luggage tags at the port, and if you look at your online cruise docs (its a PDF file that is attached to your "My Cruises" on the RCCL webpage), you will see a sample of the luggage tag in there.

Misika,

I am so glad you said something about this file. This is the first time I have booked with RC, I usually use a travel agent, and this is the first time I booked so late. I wondered about all the forms and stuff, when I did my online check in I only got a single piece of paper. I didn't know there was another file I needed to look at. You all are the greatest. Thanks !

Misika,

I am so glad you said something about this file. This is the first time I have booked with RC, I usually use a travel agent, and this is the first time I booked so late. I wondered about all the forms and stuff, when I did my online check in I only got a single piece of paper. I didn't know there was another file I needed to look at. You all are the greatest. Thanks !

You are welcome:) Have a great trip! And then while YOU are doing the "mad search" for your luggage, I will be standing outside waiting to get on the ship!! Just like you were doing while Kimmi was looking for her bags!)

Which pages of the Cruise Docs file do I need to print and have with me? It is 17 pages long and it doesn't seem like I need to have all of those pages in my possession to check in - any advice?

Kathie

(OP - We also are on the 5/28 Mariner sailing - counting the days!)

Which pages of the Cruise Docs file do I need to print and have with me? It is 17 pages long and it doesn't seem like I need to have all of those pages in my possession to check in - any advice?

Kathie

(OP - We also are on the 5/28 Mariner sailing - counting the days!)

When I get edocs, I usually just print out the page with names & cabin numbers, and the page with a picture of my luggage tag. (This pic has some additional information, like section of the ship, that you can fill in on the tags the porters give you. They CAN look it up for you, but it's a bit faster if you already know what goes in each block on the tags.)

Have never needed to show the edocs anywhere, though, because we print out our SetSail Pass, sign it, and show that to gain entrance to the port and to check in. No one has ever asked for the edocs, just the SetSail Pass.

Have a great time on Mariner! We just disembarked from MOS two days ago ... had a terrific cruise.

Regards,

Jan

My parents are on Mariner right now - I dropped them off Sunday at the pier at around noon, and they said that their luggage (with luggage tags attached at the pier) was in their room at around 2:00 - they were shocked (and thrilled!).

When I get edocs, I usually just print out the page with names & cabin numbers, and the page with a picture of my luggage tag. (This pic has some additional information, like section of the ship, that you can fill in on the tags the porters give you. They CAN look it up for you, but it's a bit faster if you already know what goes in each block on the tags.)

Have never needed to show the edocs anywhere, though, because we print out our SetSail Pass, sign it, and show that to gain entrance to the port and to check in. No one has ever asked for the edocs, just the SetSail Pass.

Have a great time on Mariner! We just disembarked from MOS two days ago ... had a terrific cruise.

Regards,

Jan

Thanks! Sounds reasonable!

Not necessary. The only thing you really need to put on the tag is your cabin number.

The rest of it does not speed up the delivery of the bags one bit, as we found out.

Not necessary. The only thing you really need to put on the tag is your cabin number.

The rest of it does not speed up the delivery of the bags one bit, as we found out.

Actually, the porters were looking up that zone information for other people on our van (who hadn't brought a sample tag printout), and then were writing it on their tags for them. So on that ship at least (Mariner, last week) they seemed to want that information.

Of course, as you say, the cabin number is the only vital info that you really need, and I'm sure that bags tagged with just that info will reach their destination. Sometimes, very quickly, I'm sure.

But ... on a really big ship, it makes sense that the people processing luggage could send it along a bit faster if they could easily see it was heading "aft" or "forward" without having to have all the cabin numbers & locations memorized for each ship they load. Some bags will go to the forward loading area & crew elevators, some to the aft, some to quadrant A, some to D, etc.

It expedites the process if that info is on the tag, which is the reason that the pre-printed tags always have the "zone" info on them as well as the cabin number.

It may not affect the speed that a particular bag, without this info, actually arrives at a cabin. But it has to slow down the process as a whole when that information is missing.

So, I'll continue to bring that info with me to put on the tags.

Archived