My opinion on the suite guest benefits

Is a Junior Suite considered a Suite? I've read that it's considered a balcony and therefore no perquisites.

If so, DANG!

~gigi

A JS is entitled to 2 cruise credits, priority boarding (where available) and robes in room....all other perks are GS and above.

Think of it this way. If you make the decision to eat in one of the specialty restaurants, and pay the fee to do so, do you think you should be served the same food as in the dining room? It is a common area after all.

I would guess your answer would be no...because you paid for a superior meal.

As a suite guest I pay for a superior level or service and accomodations. That is what I get. It comes in the form of the suite perks and the suite itself.

Please don't bash suite guests. We choose to spend our money on an upgraded cruise experience, (not just the room size) because of ALL the suite benefits. If the benefits are something you are envious of, or if the special reserved area is something you covet then by all means book a suite. RCCL is providing an upgraded cruise experience that includes ALL the perks. It comes with an upgraded price tag, and we get what we pay for.

We appreciate you well thought out posting but as frequent suite guests we don't completely agree with you. We have no problem with being identified as being suite guests. We don't really think it is anything to be be ashamed of.

Certainly the square footage is a major consideration when booking a suite but other services are also part of the equasion. We can't speak for other suite guests but for us we certainly consider other factors besides size. Included are the concierge lounge, reserved seating, tender tickets and other benefits.

Another considerion is one's station in life. We are older people who worked hard, saved, invested and managed to accumulate a decent nest egg. Now we are enjoying it. We stay in suites because we enjoy the suite experience and don't really give a damn if that offends someone.

The idea that suite benefits should be hidden so that the cannot be seen by other cruisers is ridiculous. In our opinion the recently added suite benefits shouldn't diminish anyone's cruise experience unless they have an envy complex.

Royal Caribbean determines the ship's common areas and the benefit levels of its guests. If they decide to reclassify of one section of seats near the pool, ice rink or anywhere else that is their prerogative.

You are correct that advalorum taxes are based on the size of a dwelling. But, not entirely, the location, condition and desirablity are also factors. And, in most cities it's not unusual for the street sweepers to show up a little more often in the more affluent parts of town.

We think that Royal Caribbean provides a first class experience for all its passengers. Giving a little extra to the suite guest does not make anyone a second class cruiser.

As one of the most recent posters stated, this is only my opinoin, not arguing with you.

About your benefits diminishing another cruisers experience, if all chairs in the sun, around the pool are taken, and the chairs in the reserved section empty, this can diminish my experience, it is not an envy complex.

As far as your station in life, I agree 100%. Am I offended by that ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! With our cruise station in life, we have cruised 17 times to a possible suite guest of once. Is their few thousand for one cruise worth more to RCCL than my $25,000+ I have spent, it should not be.

My final point, if RCCL wants to change their policy, so be it. I own a business also and am smart enough that when I make a change, I make it to the new customer, not the ones I have worked for, in other words, grandfather the current customers with their perks, new customers will start out with the new policy. Don't promise me a perk, me cruise with you to attain such perks, and then TAKE THEM AWAY!!!

Please do not take this as a flame, it is not, just an opinion. Your's is not wrong and neither is mine.

Tim

Think of it this way. If you make the decision to eat in one of the specialty restaurants, and pay the fee to do so, do you think you should be served the same food as in the dining room? It is a common area after all.

I would guess your answer would be no...because you paid for a superior meal.

As a suite guest I pay for a superior level or service and accomodations. That is what I get. It comes in the form of the suite perks and the suite itself.

Please don't bash suite guests. We choose to spend our money on an upgraded cruise experience, (not just the room size) because of ALL the suite benefits. If the benefits are something you are envious of, or if the special reserved area is something you covet then by all means book a suite. RCCL is providing an upgraded cruise experience that includes ALL the perks. It comes with an upgraded price tag, and we get what we pay for.

Not to be rude, but the OP clearly stated that she books suites. So the 'well you are just jealous' kind of argument tone you have seems foolish to me. And before you flame me telling me that since I disagree with your tone that I must also be jealous - I've tried the suite thing. I didn't find all of the perks that you espouse - I just found an inflated price tag with not many benefits - but that's just me. If you enjoy some reserved seating, a fruit basket and some free drinks in a lounge than thats fine - you are getting what you feel you pay for. I would rather spend my money elsewhere and that's fine too. But to have this blanket 'well if you feel that roping off deck chairs is taking chairs away from non-suite guests than you are just jealous' mentality is just an assumption that people that don't like it either don't book suites or can't book suites. Jealousy may be a reason some don't like it but there are other valid reasons if you just look.

We appreciate you well thought out posting but as frequent suite guests we don't completely agree with you. We have no problem with being identified as being suite guests. We don't really think it is anything to be be ashamed of.

Certainly the square footage is a major consideration when booking a suite but other services are also part of the equasion. We can't speak for other suite guests but for us we certainly consider other factors besides size. Included are the concierge lounge, reserved seating, tender tickets and other benefits.

Another considerion is one's station in life. We are older people who worked hard, saved, invested and managed to accumulate a decent nest egg. Now we are enjoying it. We stay in suites because we enjoy the suite experience and don't really give a damn if that offends someone.

The idea that suite benefits should be hidden so that the cannot be seen by other cruisers is ridiculous. In our opinion the recently added suite benefits shouldn't diminish anyone's cruise experience unless they have an envy complex.

Royal Caribbean determines the ship's common areas and the benefit levels of its guests. If they decide to reclassify of one section of seats near the pool, ice rink or anywhere else that is their prerogative.

You are correct that advalorum taxes are based on the size of a dwelling. But, not entirely, the location, condition and desirablity are also factors. And, in most cities it's not unusual for the street sweepers to show up a little more often in the more affluent parts of town.

We think that Royal Caribbean provides a first class experience for all its passengers. Giving a little extra to the suite guest does not make anyone a second class cruiser.

Nicely said!

We are 1st time cruisers and as a family of 4 we decided to book a GS. I do have to admit that the perks helped a bit with our decision. Not knowing what embarking or disembarking are really like, I appreciate knowing that I may have made it a bit easier with this "perk". I'm also looking forward to the Concierge Lounge! The pool chairs really don't matter to us, but the show seats are an added plus. My daughter is only 10 and usually get to sit behind some 6 foot man, so the closer rows may be a help to her. We also liked the idea of the full room service menu... I'm not sure if I will use it, but if we are all tired from the excursions we have booked I think it will be nice to be able to order a good meal. The square footage of the room with a teenage boy and 10 year daughter and all the "stuff" that we all "need" is the major reason that we chose this room. Knowing that we can have a rollaway just makes things easier.

To be honest it never crossed my mind that someone might be unhappy that I receive these perks. Actually... I really never thought that anyone else would even notice until I read this thread. It also never occurred to me to be embarrassed to sit in the pool chairs or the reserved show seats because people will know I have a suite.

I have only flown 1st class once (it was a last minute upgrade and my husband always said it would be better if I just didn't know what was going on in front of the curtain!;)), but it was great! I loved the meal (way better than the bag of 8 peanuts that I'm used to), the wine, the little bowl of warm nuts and even the little towel to wipe my fingers! The seat was far more comfortable and my kids (and I!) were thrilled with the whole experience! Unfortunately we can't do that every time we fly, but I really don't think any differently of the people who are there. They chose to buy the seat, they deserve the services.

In any case.... I have 32 days till my 1st cruise and I plan to enjoy it to the fullest! If the perks that we receive make it just a tad more fun or reduce just a little less stress that will be an added bonus.

Nicely said!

We are 1st time cruisers and as a family of 4 we decided to book a GS. I do have to admit that the perks helped a bit with our decision. Not knowing what embarking or disembarking are really like, I appreciate knowing that I may have made it a bit easier with this "perk". I'm also looking forward to the Concierge Lounge! The pool chairs really don't matter to us, but the show seats are an added plus. My daughter is only 10 and usually get to sit behind some 6 foot man, so the closer rows may be a help to her. We also liked the idea of the full room service menu... I'm not sure if I will use it, but if we are all tired from the excursions we have booked I think it will be nice to be able to order a good meal. The square footage of the room with a teenage boy and 10 year daughter and all the "stuff" that we all "need" is the major reason that we chose this room. Knowing that we can have a rollaway just makes things easier.

To be honest it never crossed my mind that someone might be unhappy that I receive these perks. Actually... I really never thought that anyone else would even notice until I read this thread. It also never occurred to me to be embarrassed to sit in the pool chairs or the reserved show seats because people will know I have a suite.

I have only flown 1st class once (it was a last minute upgrade and my husband always said it would be better if I just didn't know what was going on in front of the curtain!;)), but it was great! I loved the meal (way better than the bag of 8 peanuts that I'm used to), the wine, the little bowl of warm nuts and even the little towel to wipe my fingers! The seat was far more comfortable and my kids (and I!) were thrilled with the whole experience! Unfortunately we can't do that every time we fly, but I really don't think any differently of the people who are there. They chose to buy the seat, they deserve the services.

In any case.... I have 32 days till my 1st cruise and I plan to enjoy it to the fullest! If the perks that we receive make it just a tad more fun or reduce just a little less stress that will be an added bonus.

We second your comments and the comments of others. We have cruised many times and this will be our first suite experience. We chose the suite route this time because we are bringing my mother with us and we wanted her to receive the extra perks for her first cruise. We have no idea if we will take advantage of all the extras but at 70 years old we felt there were certain perks that would make it a better and easier experience for her.

I know my husband is probably hoping that I won't fall in love and "always expect" this level in the future, but I have a feeling that he is right to be a little fearful. :D After our first balcony experience, it is now a minimum requirement.

Enjoy.

I see both sides of this issue...

but I tend to agree with the last two people...

the extras are nice

I don't belive RCI would put them in if they didn't think that they would encourage some to book suites.

Just as a point of interest...I priced a cruise on LOS for a bargin month in 2010...

The inside cabin cost $4.26 per square foot per person

The GS cost $4.51 per square foot per person

The OS cost $3.38 per square foot per person

and the RS cost $2.27 per square foot per person

seems to me the best deal here is the RS...if a person is interested in more space for the buck.

Oh and the Grand Suite is NOT 5 times larger than an inside cabin, but only 3 times larger...I did the math.

I see both sides of this issue...but I tend to agree with the last two people...the extras are nice. I don't belive RCI would put them in if they didn't think that they would encourage some to book suites.

Just as a point of interest...I priced a cruise on LOS for a bargin month in 2010...

The inside cabin cost $4.26 per square foot per person

The GS cost $4.51 per square foot per person

The OS cost $3.38 per square foot per person

and the RS cost $2.27 per square foot per person

seems to me the best deal here is the RS...if a person is interested in more space for the buck. Oh and the Grand Suite is NOT 5 times larger than an inside cabin, but only 3 times larger...I did the math.

Interesting to say the least. We also did some figure checking and found that RCCL's pricing is all over the place. Especially for their suites. On the Liberty we found the Royal Suite for as little as $8,198 in October and as high as $12,798 in September. Both were seven day cruises in 2010 but one sailing was $4,600 higher.

On our September 19, 2009 Jewel sailing they are asking $7,598 for an Owner's Suite. That either makes the $7,598 look like highway robbery or the $8,198 the deal of a lifetime. Incidently all the Owner's Suites on the Jewel sailing are still available if anyone is interested.

Hear! Hear! From another perspective. I stay in Suites sometimes and other times I do not. It's not only about real estate. It's about service and perks. As a Diamond Plus member I get treated very well. (And always have by RCCL). But I do have to admit, when I've paid a hefty price for a suite in the past, I felt RCCL fell short. Now I feel that I get what I pay that much extra for. My last Mediterranian trip cost more than double for a suite than what it would have cost for a D1 balcony, but now the extra perks make it worth it. But I do not feel slighted in any way on the trips that I chose not to book a suite.

this is not to offend anyone, its just my opinion.

We have booked several suites over the last few years and I was very happy with the new perks. I especially liked having reserved seating at the shows. It was so nice not having to rush over there to get seats together.

It's really no different than paying more for anything in life; you pay more at a luxury hotel you and you get better service. It's really a simple concept.

The poster who mentioned NOT GETTING PRICE DROPS is 100% correct. You never get a price drop when you book a suite. Sometimes it's frustrating when you hear everyone getting credits as the price drops. But that's the way it is.

It was interesting having your opinion on that.

I red very interesting comment on how we choose a suite or not. For me, the important is a large stateroom. Other will be for the extra services, free drinks at the lounge, balcony, etc.

I understood that a lot of passengers returning RCCL as me because of the nice cruising experience. We pay more or less comparing to other cruise lines. But we still love RCCL with their qualities and defaults.

I realized also that emotion is rising depending on how important a service is important for each of us. For example, one who like to have a preferred chair near the pool or a first row in the theater will be more or less happy to see those reserved. On the other hand the suite guest will be happy to see a seat available 5 minutes before the show!

Some people in this forum are very emotive. Life is not only white or black; it is most of the time gray. When we are writing an opinion to start a discusion, we want to know other point of view. I do not think writing a comment like "if you are not happy with suite benefits, go away" show a point of view and improve a discusion.

Our next cruise is in August on the FOS. We will be 2 families of 4. I will be in an OS and our friends in two connecting balcony staterooms. Our group will be near the H2O zone early in the morning with the kids. I am sure we will not take 8 chairs because we will play in the pools and moving all day. I think 3-4 chairs will be enough. We will have the babysitting service one night in our stateroom to go the the Chop. For the rest of the vacations, it will be always with kids and enjoy it as all our cruises.

Finally, I think we all rely on each other to have a nice cruising experience what ever the stateroom. If the table mates are not friendly and complaining on everything, if your waiter at the bar is not smiling and giving a bad service, etc. it can reduce the cruising experience of every body.

A trick for the pool chairs lovers who are not early near the pool for the best spot, take the advantage of the pool deck FBI and follow him. I am sure he will take out some books or towels around 10AM!

Have a nive cruise!

:)Tradam:)

As one of the most recent posters stated, this is only my opinoin, not arguing with you.

About your benefits diminishing another cruisers experience, if all chairs in the sun, around the pool are taken, and the chairs in the reserved section empty, this can diminish my experience, it is not an envy complex.

As far as your station in life, I agree 100%. Am I offended by that ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! With our cruise station in life, we have cruised 17 times to a possible suite guest of once. Is their few thousand for one cruise worth more to RCCL than my $25,000+ I have spent, it should not be.

My final point, if RCCL wants to change their policy, so be it. I own a business also and am smart enough that when I make a change, I make it to the new customer, not the ones I have worked for, in other words, grandfather the current customers with their perks, new customers will start out with the new policy. Don't promise me a perk, me cruise with you to attain such perks, and then TAKE THEM AWAY!!!

Please do not take this as a flame, it is not, just an opinion. Your's is not wrong and neither is mine.

Tim

Tim,

By your philosophy we are sure that you operate a very successful business. RCCL definately could have handled the diamond fiasco much better and we sympathize everyone who was negatively impacted. Most of us agreed that some action was needed to curb the swelling ranks of diamond members but expected a fairer solution.

We've been on several sailing with the reserved pool seats and certainly would not consider them to be in a prime location. Nevertherless, we understand how reserved but empty seats could cause aggravation. Perhaps, RCCL's new emphasis on reducing chair hogging will offer some relief.

RCCL has long lagged in benefits for their suite guest and is trying to play catch up. They will do somethings right and somethings wrong and like with most policy changes they will draw boos from some people and applause from others. We only hope that will make the necessary adjustment based on the good of all passengers.

We've read several posters assertions that suite guests are typically one time cruisers. We are diamond plus cruisers who will soon pass the 50 cruise point level. We are not the exception as we know many other suite passengers who take several cruises every year.

This would make more sense if the topic were Diamond Benefits, but as it's Suite Benefits, I don't see that it really applies.

Also, regarding this:

My experience has been that the worst chair hogs are in the suite section, I think RCI actually enhanced your cruise by putting it in.

Tim,

We've been on several sailing with the reserved pool seats and certainly would not consider them to be in a prime location. Nevertherless, we understand how reserved but empty seats could cause aggravation. Perhaps, RCCL's new emphasis on reducing chair hogging will offer some relief.

For the pool chair question, suite guests could have a reservation service. They could reserve chair where they want accross the ship. The pool deck FBI could reserve those chairs.

For example, you and your wife would like to have two chairs on the top of the pool bar around 11AM. Early in the morning the FBI could go there and fix a RESERVED panel with the cabin number.

But this solution brings an issue. What about the hogging chairs? Maybe some will compare it to hog chair?

I was on the MOS in November 2007. A couple from England was celebrating their 200 cruises with RCCL. They were 20 in their group and had a section reserved only for them on deck twelve. People were complaining because they wanted this nice spot.

So people will prefer complaining and not enjoying this great moment.

People keep complaining that the reserved seating takes chairs away from others and they can't find seating......first off the resered pool seating is ONLY on Freedom class ships....and even through the most crowded of times such as spring break I have NEVER found a problem with finding loungers. It's funny....there was a poster who made a big deal about this months ago and had a dozen page thread going....well after about the 10th page she admitted that there were empty loungers but they were on the top deck in the front and rear of the ship and that was to far for her to sit:rolleyes:bottom line.....there are plenty loungers for all, maybe not directly poolside....but walk around and you will find one. Heck I rather sit in a first class seat on an airplane also, but if i ain't paying for one then I can't expect one to be reserved for me.

There was also a comment about chair hogging in the reserved seating.....well last I was on Indy, I watched NON-SUITE guests walk not the reserved seating section, throw towels over 4 chairs and walk away for 30 minutes before coming back and getting thrown out. I even heard the husband tell his wife that these seats were for suite guests and she responded "I don't care, this is where I want to sit".....that is total dis-respect.

That's a really good idea...suite guests should call ahead and reserve their seating or have the concierge do it...that way if they were not going to use the seats that day they would not have to stay empty...then others could use them. If they were going to be at the pool for only half the day, then the reserved sign could be removed to facilitate others. I don't know but it sounds like a plan to me.

How about the one huge benefit that non suites get as opposed suites. PRICE DROPS. It is basically unheard of for suites to receive a price drop since there are so few and they book quickly. People are thrilled to receive price drops. Would you all feel better if they stopped that practice and you could be equal to the suites in that regard?

I'm not sure why you keep referencing that suite prices don't get reduced, they do. It is based on supply and demand. True, more often then not, suites sell out, or they use them to upgrade others, but the percent of times this happens compared to the number of rooms, I don't believe is that out of line. You hear and see more drops on other room simply because there is more of them, but it doesn't mean they never drop suite prices.

People keep complaining that the reserved seating takes chairs away from others and they can't find seating......first off the resered pool seating is ONLY on Freedom class ships....and even through the most crowded of times such as spring break I have NEVER found a problem with finding loungers. It's funny....there was a poster who made a big deal about this months ago and had a dozen page thread going....well after about the 10th page she admitted that there were empty loungers but they were on the top deck in the front and rear of the ship and that was to far for her to sit:rolleyes:bottom line.....there are plenty loungers for all, maybe not directly poolside....but walk around and you will find one. Heck I rather sit in a first class seat on an airplane also, but if i ain't paying for one then I can't expect one to be reserved for me.

There was also a comment about chair hogging in the reserved seating.....well last I was on Indy, I watched NON-SUITE guests walk not the reserved seating section, throw towels over 4 chairs and walk away for 30 minutes before coming back and getting thrown out. I even heard the husband tell his wife that these seats were for suite guests and she responded "I don't care, this is where I want to sit".....that is total dis-respect.

I believe the reserved section is on Voyager and Freedom class ships at a minimum.

100% agree, anyone who chair hogs is being disrespectful and if they could be controlled, this would all be a non-issue.

I'm not sure why you keep referencing that suite prices don't get reduced, they do. It is based on supply and demand. True, more often then not, suites sell out, or they use them to upgrade others, but the percent of times this happens compared to the number of rooms, I don't believe is that out of line. You hear and see more drops on other room simply because there is more of them, but it doesn't mean they never drop suite prices.

The price dropped on our suite a couple of days after booking it. I called and they applied a credit.

That's a really good idea...suite guests should call ahead and reserve their seating or have the concierge do it...that way if they were not going to use the seats that day they would not have to stay empty...then others could use them. If they were going to be at the pool for only half the day, then the reserved sign could be removed to facilitate others. I don't know but it sounds like a plan to me.

I think that RCCL is trying to enhance the suite experience. Giving suite passengers the ability to reserve seats rather than having a section already reserved doesn't seem like the best solution. It creates more work for the guests and the ship's staff. Designating seats as reserved by any method is still going to rub some people the wrong way.

Several posters have observed that there are almost always deck chairs available even if you have to hunt around a little. Give someone the absolute worst location on the ship and you can bet someone else will covet it. After all Rev, we all know that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

We always sail in a suite and yes there was reserved pool seating, However, we never used it because we could never get a seat. There are 24 reserved seats and there are approx 80 suite passegers. Same at the show, same at the ice-rink.

It just appears on here that some have assumed that there is a one chair per suite guest and this is simply not the case.

If RC advertise additional perks to entice passengers to spend more money then that is a commercial decision for them, the little things can help to justify spending that additonal $$$.

Wherever we stay, I will enjoy whatever perks are being offerred and I certainly won't feel guilty about doing so.

I think that RCCL is trying to enhance the suite experience. Giving suite passengers the ability to reserve seats rather than having a section already reserved doesn't seem like the best solution. It creates more work for the guests and the ship's staff. Designating seats as reserved by any method is still going to rub some people the wrong way.

I agree with you Don Pedro. It will be more work for the guests and the staff but we pay for that kind of superior services. It can be interesting.

Having 4 chairs reserved by the pool, 8 in a shadow place, 10 others on the top, in the solarium, etc. will maybe reduce the frustration.

For example if I have 2 reserved chairs for 10AM and I never show up and it is for example 12:30, maybe the pool FBI would have the right to remove my reserved sign.

But I agree it will be a lot of work...

Tim,

By your philosophy we are sure that you operate a very successful business. RCCL definately could have handled the diamond fiasco much better and we sympathize everyone who was negatively impacted. Most of us agreed that some action was needed to curb the swelling ranks of diamond members but expected a fairer solution.

RCCL has long lagged in benefits for their suite guest and is trying to play catch up. They will do somethings right and somethings wrong and like with most policy changes they will draw boos from some people and applause from others. We only hope that will make the necessary adjustment based on the good of all passengers.

We've read several posters assertions that suite guests are typically one time cruisers. We are diamond plus cruisers who will soon pass the 50 cruise point level. We are not the exception as we know many other suite passengers who take several cruises every year.

Thank you for your compliment about our business.

I do agree about the diamond members and their numbers swelling BUT RCCL created the monster by giving the perks to us, don't take them away.

After reading several posts, it appears that RCCL has not kept up with the Jones' concerning the Suite perks. I can understand those that book suites (as youself) have concerns about this.

Yes, I hope the new policy concerning chair hogs continues. It did not appear to me to work on our last Liberty cruise (May 23rd) but some said they thought it did. What did bother me was there were 48 chairs reserved for suite guests but ONLY TWO were being used. This was in the afternoon (about 2:00) on our last sea day. Personally I could not find any other chairs in the sun on deck 11 at the same time, there probably was but I could not find one.

I am sure suite guests are more often than not return guests but all of us are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You spend thousands to get a suite and I spend thousands reaching the diamond level. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and I happen to disagree with there they have drawn in. ;)

Nice post Don. There have been several posts on this thread that have been positive in my mind and I appreciate the civil way everyone is posting.

Tim

This would make more sense if the topic were Diamond Benefits, but as it's Suite Benefits, I don't see that it really applies.

Also, regarding this:My experience has been that the worst chair hogs are in the suite section, I think RCI actually enhanced your cruise by putting it in.

Mark

Yes, most of my post was about diamond members of C & A and not really about suites, they are in the wrong place as the OP was talking about suites and I got a bit carried away with it. My apologies to anyone who might have been offended.

Tim

Archived