Upgrade Advice??

BillMD

Hello, everyone!

We're booked on the Amsterdam for the July 25 cruise to Alaska!

We booked a BC GUAR room, and I'm wondering what tips, tricks, and advice everyone has on how to get COMPLIMENTARY upgrades ... how do you suggest I try to upgrade from a Verandah Suite all the way up to the Deluxe Verandah category??? Has anyone had any luck with that HUGE upgrade leap?

Thanks for your help!

BillMD

wjtian@mac.com (if that's easier)

BTW, I have no shame and will beg my HAL PCC if so advised :p

I also booked a BC guarantee on the Amsterdam (June 27 sailing).

We have been upgraded to an SA (deluxe verandah suite), A FULL 5 CATEGORIES, but it cost us $299 each.

My final cost is still only 1/3 of what it would have cost if we had booked the SA originally.

On top of that, my TA got us each $100 OBC.

I'm more than pleased with the results of my upsell.

Dorothy

We upgraded at no cost from a VE to an SY because I asked the TA about the minimal cost between the two categories. Then we were offered an upgrade to a SC for $200/pp which we turned down for economical reasons, and we are glad now that we did. The SY was more than adequate.

Good luck on getting an upgrade, it seems like it is random who gets them and who doesn't. And enjoy your cruise, no matter where you are...you are on board!!:)

Call your PCC and let them know that you would be interested in an upsell if it is available for your cruise. You probably have a much better chance of getting an upgrade if you pay for it. And, the upsells are usually offered at a very good price.

Hi Bill --

How did you enjoy the SB suite you had aboard Westerdam earlier this year? I remember your posts about it, but don't recall hearing about your experience. Bet it was great, if you've rebooked HAL ...

Carol in SC

We upgraded at no cost from a VE to an SY because I asked the TA about the minimal cost between the two categories. Then we were offered an upgrade to a SC for $200/pp which we turned down for economical reasons, and we are glad now that we did. The SY was more than adequate.

Good luck on getting an upgrade, it seems like it is random who gets them and who doesn't. And enjoy your cruise, no matter where you are...you are on board!!:)

How did you upgrade at no cost from a VE to an SY? Do you just call the cruise line & ask about it?

What is an upsell?

How did you upgrade at no cost from a VE to an SY? Do you just call the cruise line & ask about it?

What is an upsell?

We got the upgrade for free because there was just a nominal difference between the VE room that we booked and the SY guarantee. I contacted our TA, and she contacted HAL who gave us the upgrade to the SY guar at no additional cost beyond the VE room we had already booked.

An upsell is when you pay for an upgrade to a higher category. In other words, they sell you the upgrade.

So, is it better to wait until close to sailing or ASAP contact TAs about upgrades?
I'd say the sooner the better so that s/he can be on the alert for any. If you wait too long they may say "There was an offer last week, but ..." :)

Basically you want the good room but you don't want to pay for it. There is no rhyme or reason to an upgrade, so best to book a room that you would love to have for the cruise. If you get an upgrade, great, but if you don't, you cannot be disappointed.

You can get some great upsell deals as they try to open up lower level rooms, but you do have to pay something for them. It can be a great deal or not so good. Depends.

You do a disservice to the people who fork over their money for the primo rooms by trying to 'work the system' to your advantage.

Tina

You do a disservice to the people who fork over their money for the primo rooms by trying to 'work the system' to your advantage.

Hmmm, then count me as a dis-server. I will work the system as best I can. I think that's the reason a lot of us are CC readers. Let's make sure we can get the most out of our cruise dollar.

I have been calling about twice a week since I booked. I was satisfied with the cabin but certainly wouldn't/didn't say no to switching when the price for a better cabin became equal to my lower cabin. Hoping for another too!

There are always people who pay more and people who pay less. I want to be the one that pays less, please.[/color]

If you prefer the full suite, suggest you contact your T/A and request the upsell price to same.

The upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways ... and I doubt she gives preferential treatment to those who book guarantees and also call repeatedly to ask for an upgrade. Perhaps quite the contrary. While many here comment on their upgrades and upsells, keep in mind that CC posters represent only a teeny tiny percentage of HAL cruisers ... and upsells and upgrades may not be available to as many as you imagine.

HAL will upgrade your verandah if and when they need your category for someone else.

Basically you want the good room but you don't want to pay for it. There is no rhyme or reason to an upgrade, so best to book a room that you would love to have for the cruise. If you get an upgrade, great, but if you don't, you cannot be disappointed.

You can get some great upsell deals as they try to open up lower level rooms, but you do have to pay something for them. It can be a great deal or not so good. Depends.

Tina

I like to choose my room at the time of booking. I don't think I could stand all the suspense of wondering if I got an upgrade and checking all the time. Too much drama.

I do think it's okay to check AFTER booking periodically to see if the price came down and if I can get some credit back, but I don't play the games or the system to try to "make a deal" or "get a deal for free".

Of course if HAL or my Amex agent would call me and offer me something without me asking, then that's another story.

Hello, everyone!

We're booked on the Amsterdam for the July 25 cruise to Alaska!

We booked a BC GUAR room, and I'm wondering what tips, tricks, and advice everyone has on how to get COMPLIMENTARY upgrades ... how do you suggest I try to upgrade from a Verandah Suite all the way up to the Deluxe Verandah category??? Has anyone had any luck with that HUGE upgrade leap?

Thanks for your help!

BillMD

wjtian@mac.com (if that's easier)

BTW, I have no shame and will beg my HAL PCC if so advised :p

Well, let me add this HUGE upgrade story. I have booked a varanda and an inside quad across the hall. The vananda for my wife and me and the quad for the kids. AND on two seperate trips, we have been upgraded to the penthouse suite...... they sleep eight and have seperate living rooms and at least two bathrooms, two mini fridge fully stocked at ALL times, fresh flowers each day, laundy service every day ( I had my underware come back pressed ) full no charge internet service. You should see the look on the faces of the other passengers seeing 4 kids sitting at the internet for an hour or two.. $$$$ but not costing me a cent.

I asked why the upgrade and was told because very few people can afford the penthouse suite and they saw we were a family and should be kept together. What ever. I'll take it.

This has happened twice and my kids think it is normal. Wait until they get to use the quad inside and dont get the upgrade..... that will shock the monkey.

AND on two seperate trips, we have been upgraded to the penthouse suite...... they sleep eight and ...full no charge internet service.

Was this on HAL? I didn't know the HAL penthouse to sleep eight, nor to have Internet at no charge.

Ruth, Sorry for not mentioning the ships. Both on Princess: grand and diamond.

Other perks, fresh hot chocolate chip cookies each day at 3:30pm and a large silver picture of milk. as requested by my children........VIP seating at dinner, or anything we wanted. 1st off the boat pass for the tenders. The perks were amazing. Best upgrade ever, 2x.

Archived