Live from Mariner - Alaska June 17

NJBelle

Hello all,

There are several of us CCers here on board - we have met Portolan (Scott and Judy) and Queasy/BamaDad (Bill and Lisa) and family - plus I believe there are others we haven't met yet. Anyway, just wanted to touch base (we are in between dinner and the jazz music later in the Observation Lounge) and let you know that so far the cruise is very enjoyable and there are no issues from our perspective.

Today was the sea day - cruising the inside passage. I love sea days, so this was great as far as I was concerned. Beautiful scenery, great food, nice folks, lots of reading.....tonight we ate in Prime 7 and watched the "sunset" (last night was a glorious sunset but tonight was a little anticlimactic due to clouds, etc).

Prime 7 is a must do. The decor is masculine, clubby, but in keeping with steak house style. Food was delicious - no misses anywhere. I must say that the service for food was fantastic (thank you, Maria) but the wine stewards were a little perfunctory with their service (I think they were a little stretched). Anyway, we will return if we can get in again - or if not, on our cruise next summer!

By the way, tonight is "informal" - and those who were concerned that the kids would ruin the dress code should know that so far, I have counted about 9 grown men in no jackets (and one of those in a short sleeved shirt!) and only one kid with no jacket. The little boys look adorable in thier little jackets with their slicked back hair and the little girls so cute in their dresses. Most people are adhering to the dress code - ladies a bit more dressed up than the men.

Okay, signing off now. Just wanted to let everyone know how the cruise is going so far.

Best, NJBelle

Keep the reports coming.

This is the time for children/families to enjoy the Regent experience. The Mariner is set up fairly well for this. It is a bit disappointing to hear that some men are choosing not to wear a jacket on "informal" night. Had this happened on our last Voyager cruise, they would have been asked to dine in La Veranda. On the other hand, I cannot imagine why Regent would have an "informal" night on short Alaska cruise:confused:

Apparently we have failed to find you all here on Mariner - in Suite 979 if that helps. But we are having the most fantastic time. And I have to say that the children last night were better dressed than some of the men - but if Regent doesn't want to inforce their dress code, what to say?

Using most of my precious internet for the blog,

Marcia

Hi all,

Well, once again betwixt and between....just finished a fabulous dinner at 7 Prime and waiting for the Disco Dancing (well, I am, but not so sure about my husband..well, actually I do know that he is not particularly interested, but hoping he will change his mind before it starts.....icon7.gif)

Anyway, the most wonderful last two days - between us, we have been on 5 excursions:

Misty Fiords Seaplane (Ketchikan) - in a word, incredible. I was awestruck by the beauty of the area. I have to say the experience of being in the floatplane (there were 10 of us in my plane) and seeing the pristine beauty was more than I ever thought this excursion might be. Magical might be appropriate. Just wonderfully beautiful scenery - and then we landed on a still lake and were able to stand on the pontoons, just inches from the mirror lake. Just wonderful.

Guided Fishing Adventure (Ketchikan) - my husband did this when I did the Seaplane. He loved it. Caught 5 fish himself! Then they took the small groups to a camp and he had bouillebasse with the fish he had caught. He thougt the whole excursion was just fantastic.

Alaska Feasts (on something like that - in Ketchikan) - I added this on after I got on board as something that would be fun to do (did it after the seaplane). We ate lunch in a local restaurant - and all the food was seafood and locally related. Was just delicious and while it was a little slow moving, it was worthwhile and I will definitely make some of the recipes again (nice booklet included in the excursion).

Tracy Arm - well, everyone loves this, and actaully we did too - but it was a little long. And I would have to say that for anyone who has done the Norwegian fiords or the Laguna San Rafeal in Chile, that this was somewhat similar.....but on the other hand, when 4 hours into this, we came upon a gray whale. OMG. The whale stayed with us, breaching every few minutes. We must have stayed in the area about a half hour and everyone had a wonderful time with this (relatively speaking ) ugly whale! The naturalists were beside themselves, since this was an "accidental sighting" - the gray whales are not usually in this area. We also saw a humpback whale, lots of seals and bald eagles - in addition to the beautiful scenery.

Helicoptor Glacier Trek - I think this is the name. To be honest, if I had known what was entailed, I would not have selected this one. I thought we would see some glacier scenery in the helicopter and then walk around for a while on a glacier. Well, when I got back to our suite and explained to my husband and daughter that I had used crampons and ice picks and had made my way around lots of glacier hills and dales, they were shocked (that I actullly did this and lived to tell the tale). And might I say that I had to dig deep inside to not be freaked out by the trek (as it turned out to be) but my little group wanted to really experience a lot on the glacier and the guide was very supportive of all of us. In the end we had a marvelous time, saw wonderful things and I can't believe that I did all of that! We trekked on the Mendenhall glacier way up high and it was just unbelieveable. So much fun and so absolutely beautiful. Well worth taking. A real highlight of the cruise so far.

When I got back from the glacier trek about 7 PM tonight, after I had my shower, I suggested to my husband that we try Prime 7 again - since maybe some of the folks on the excursions were tired or had not gotten back yet (we are in Juneau until 11 tonight). What the heck,I thought - give it a try. Anyway, the Maitre'D was wonderful - was able to work us in since some had been held up by a late cruise. So, my husband, daughter and I had the most delicious meal (seafood, steak and also the pork chop) - and felt very privileged to be doing this again so early in the cruise. I must say the service was spot on the whole meal - including the wine service. Well done, Prime 7 staff! Also, we noticed that the big surge did come in as we were leaving and the staff seemed to be handling it very well.

So, only great things to say about the excursions and the food and service so far. A minor glitch here and there, but this is a full cruise and so sometimes stuff happens. We are very happy with our cruise at this point. Now, I have to go - let me see if my husband (who is playing solitare here in the computer room while I type this) will be willing to go to the disco....

All my best, NJBelle

NJ Belle, thanks so much for this running thread and all your details. Disco dancing hu? How was it? Too funny. Maybe we can get our group out there next week doing the hustle...

Tell me about the fish your hubbie caught--were they kings? How big? My husband and son do this excursion next week.

Thanks!

Hiking boots or hiking shoes are needed. This is one excursion that I was glad I packed the hiking boots (for warmth).

Thanks, RachelG - I'm planning hiking boots. Please describe the actual glacier walk ---- length, equipment, -- strenuous?? etc. Was it colder on the glacier?

Thanks,

jj

The thick soles on boots are good, for traction and warmth. Though I really don't remember being terribly cold. It was cooler on the glacier than in Juneau, but I wore just a fleece jacket, sweater and jeans as I recall.

The thick soles on boots are good, for traction and warmth. Though I really don't remember being terribly cold. It was cooler on the glacier than in Juneau, but I wore just a fleece jacket, sweater and jeans as I recall.

Thanks, Rachel. How would you describe the actual trek and the equipment?

Thanks again,

jj

Hi, I am back!

We just got home this morning and I am now doing laundry and waiting for my work computer to boot up.....anyway, just took a quick peek and decided to say hello. I hope to post more info about some of our other excursions later, but did want to interject into the glacier discussion. Rachel, I think you are thinking of something different than the Helicopter Trek that I did. On this excursion, they supply EVERYTHING (well, you keep your own underwear, shirt and socks, but that is about it). They supply: windpants (and even though I had my own, they suggested putting thiers over mine to avoid any possible tears in mine), windjacket (have to wear theirs due to wanting everyone to be dressed similarly), boots, harness, gloves (they are polartec and they wash between uses!) - and you put all this on before you go to the glacier. Once on the glacier, they attach the crampons, and attach the ice pick, and you put on your helmet. They off you go.

If you want to just walk around on a glacier, then that is a diffferent excursion. If, in the description, they mention crampons and ice picks, then it is probably not just a stroll.

Again, just wanted to get this in. Be back later.

Best, NJBelle

Hi, I am back!

We just got home this morning and I am now doing laundry and waiting for my work computer to boot up.....anyway, just took a quick peek and decided to say hello. I hope to post more info about some of our other excursions later, but did want to interject into the glacier discussion. Rachel, I think you are thinking of something different than the Helicopter Trek that I did. On this excursion, they supply EVERYTHING (well, you keep your own underwear, shirt and socks, but that is about it). They supply: windpants (and even though I had my own, they suggested putting thiers over mine to avoid any possible tears in mine), windjacket (have to wear theirs due to wanting everyone to be dressed similarly), boots, harness, gloves (they are polartec and they wash between uses!) - and you put all this on before you go to the glacier. Once on the glacier, they attach the crampons, and attach the ice pick, and you put on your helmet. They off you go.

If you want to just walk around on a glacier, then that is a diffferent excursion. If, in the description, they mention crampons and ice picks, then it is probably not just a stroll.

Again, just wanted to get this in. Be back later.

Best, NJBelle

Yep that's what they mention. Sounds like the one you went on -- it's called Helicopter Glacier Trek....

Tell about the "off you go" part..........Was it a climb, walk, or what?

Welcome Home---and thanks for getting back in this discussion.

jj

I'm curious...

Yes, that is the one. The Trek is probably a little different with every group that goes up. The max number in the helicopter is 5 - since you have 7 seats and one is for the pilot (who is really a ferry captain - you don't see him again unless total coincidence) and one for the guide - and the rest for the passengers. I was with two couples, and clearly they wanted a bit of "action". So, they were pointing to some of the higher "hills" and saying, can we go there, etc. We started off pretty easy, but then our guide Gabriella told us how to go up the hills using the crampons and ice picks.....then I realized I was not in Kansas anymore.....I expressed a little concern that maybe I wasn't cut out for really high ice hills, but she was great with the "spotting" and all when doing slightly dicey maneuvers, so I ended up doing fine (although freaked from time to time). So, that was the "off we went" part.....we traversed the hills, doing the across and back across approaches, and jumping across some glacier streams, etc. There was one point where there was a mini-water fall and we all filled our water bottles (they also provide you with a fanny pack where you can put your camera and other small items - and they include tissues, water bottle and a granola bar - you can't bring anything else on the helicopter, by the way) and drank the refreshingly cold water. (I took some back to my husband and daughter and they enjoyed it as well).

We were probably out there about 2 hours and while I was ready to return, I can't deny that it was just fabulous. As I said earlier, this pushed me outside my comfort zone and given the quality and safety approach of the company and guide, it was something I was willing to take on. What a reward! The scenery was just glorious and I can't even imagine what it would have been like if I had not seen it myself.

On the way out, the pilot pointed out various aspects of the glacier, and it was a bit of sightseeing in that respect, but this was not an excursion focused so much on the "above" experience of the glacier. The helicopters were pretty small (they ask your weight so they can balance you - no need to think of how to jockey for a window seat - you get what you get - and all are really fine - really big windows) and I didn't experience any discomfort with that part of it (having been in helicopters a number of times before) but some of my travelmates did say later that they were glad the trip was short! I would have been happy with a longer helicopter ride, but that is just me.

All in all, a highlight of my trip, so I am pleased to have spent the time to share my recently gained knowledge of that particular excursion.

Best, NJBelle

Yes, that is the one. The Trek is probably a little different with every group that goes up. The max number in the helicopter is 5 - since you have 7 seats and one is for the pilot (who is really a ferry captain - you don't see him again unless total coincidence) and one for the guide - and the rest for the passengers. I was with two couples, and clearly they wanted a bit of "action". So, they were pointing to some of the higher "hills" and saying, can we go there, etc. We started off pretty easy, but then our guide Gabriella told us how to go up the hills using the crampons and ice picks.....then I realized I was not in Kansas anymore.....I expressed a little concern that maybe I wasn't cut out for really high ice hills, but she was great with the "spotting" and all when doing slightly dicey maneuvers, so I ended up doing fine (although freaked from time to time). So, that was the "off we went" part.....we traversed the hills, doing the across and back across approaches, and jumping across some glacier streams, etc. There was one point where there was a mini-water fall and we all filled our water bottles (they also provide you with a fanny pack where you can put your camera and other small items - and they include tissues, water bottle and a granola bar - you can't bring anything else on the helicopter, by the way) and drank the refreshingly cold water. (I took some back to my husband and daughter and they enjoyed it as well).

We were probably out there about 2 hours and while I was ready to return, I can't deny that it was just fabulous. As I said earlier, this pushed me outside my comfort zone and given the quality and safety approach of the company and guide, it was something I was willing to take on. What a reward! The scenery was just glorious and I can't even imagine what it would have been like if I had not seen it myself.

On the way out, the pilot pointed out various aspects of the glacier, and it was a bit of sightseeing in that respect, but this was not an excursion focused so much on the "above" experience of the glacier. The helicopters were pretty small (they ask your weight so they can balance you - no need to think of how to jockey for a window seat - you get what you get - and all are really fine - really big windows) and I didn't experience any discomfort with that part of it (having been in helicopters a number of times before) but some of my travelmates did say later that they were glad the trip was short! I would have been happy with a longer helicopter ride, but that is just me.

All in all, a highlight of my trip, so I am pleased to have spent the time to share my recently gained knowledge of that particular excursion.

Best, NJBelle

Whew, thanks so much NJBelle!! Great visual description. Trust me, I'll be far out of my comfort zone. But I'm sure I'll do fine in the moment. I'll freak out later. I weigh 115-120 so weight is not an issue.....nerve on the other hand is something I'll have to work on. I'm in good health for gal celebrating her 60th on this cruise.......so guess I'll suck it in go for it. Jim says I'll do fine..........so here's hoping!!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

What other excursions did you go on? I'd like to pick your brain on the others should they co-incide w/what we chose......

Take care and thanks again!!!

Cheers,

jj

After failing to find any of our Cruise Critic people all week, but you know we were busy all the time, it was a delight to realize that we were sharing the train ride from Seward to Anchorage with NJBelle and her family, so that was fun.

Just a comment to support what she said above about dress code on the one informal night, we were also dismayed to see so many adult males in perfect disregard that night, and trust me, we are not the dressy type. The children looked better than the men in many cases, and I think my one regret is that they were seated in Compass Rose. My personal feeling is that if you have a code, you need to politely enforce it, otherwise what is the point? When we went to Signatures, a jacket was brought for a gentlemen who came in without one.

On the other hand, I was glad that they were more casual about the 6 pm rule in the lounges, because after touring all day, then sitting with a drink for the sailing out of port, many of us forgot we were still in jeans exactly at 6pm. I did notice that those who came into the lounge after 6 were dressed for dinner, and the rest of us quietly slipped out somewhere after that to change as well.

But this trip was just fabulous, we were pleased beyone expectations with our Regent Mariner experience.

Best, NJBelle

Thanks NJBelle for the graphic description.....................Can't wait to experience it!!

jj

Archived