Flights: San Juan with connection via Atlanta

I was wondering if I should allow more connection time in Atlanta as we can either fly out of San Juan at 2:21 or 3:37 and have a connection of either 1:30 or 3 hours in Atlanta for our next flight. Our last experience via Atlanta was not great as with only 1 hour connection we made our flight but our luggage did not.

I need your opinions as to which time is better to leave from San Juan?

Are you on the same carrier for both segments? 1:30 is a legal connection in ATL, so unless there are weather problems somewhere then you should be okay with 90 minutes between flights.

DH flies through ATL at least twice a week and he's found that weather delays aren't usually caused by ATL weather, they're caused by problems in other cities. And as we all know, there are weather problems somewhere every single day.

And I would be more concerned with losing luggage when heading to the ship. If luggage arrives late when going home it isn't as big of a deal.

Oh my friend, I travel weekly on business, mostly on Delta and many times through ATL (and several times a year to and from SJU) and I will advise you to take the more-time-than-less when connecting in ATL. You just never know...sometime you can arrive at terminal A and depart out of E and if your flight arrives late...you can be running! Take the earlier flight and have time to spare in ATL. You'll thank me later ;)

Lynne

Delta Skymiles Platinum

Thank you all for the advice. I guess it is better safe than sorry. So I will look into the earlier flight from San Juan. In the end, I will end up spending the 1 1/2 extra in one of the 2 airports so I may as well make it in Atlanta and not worry if the plane is late or if the distance between terminals is far.

Thank you all for the advice. I guess it is better safe than sorry. So I will look into the earlier flight from San Juan. In the end, I will end up spending the 1 1/2 extra in one of the 2 airports so I may as well make it in Atlanta and not worry if the plane is late or if the distance between terminals is far.

In my opinion, If you have to spend time in one of the airports, Atlanta is a much better airport to sit around in than San Juan.

I fly through ATL once a month. My connection is always about 2 hours due to where I travel and there is without a doubt never a time where I'm delayed getting to ATL from either where I live (CLT) or coming back from where I'm away from on business.

More time in ATL means less rush/worry. Ofcourse, when you take the 3 hour layover, all your flights will be ontime and such. :)

I flew thru Atlanta 2x in April...even with an hour between flights I had about 10 mins. after I got to the gate before boarding started...good choice giving yourself more time...

Ya' know, I am quite certain that if you allow yourself the extra time in Atlanta, that you would have been able to make the earlier flight easily and if you don't allow yourself the extra time, you'll miss it. :) Isn't that the way it always works?

So, allow the extra time and use it to enjoy a Cinnabon while you wait.

I'd add that it might depend on where your final destination is. For example between ATL and EWR (Newark) there are flights practacally every hour, so missing a connection isn't as painfull as connecting to a smaller airport with fewer flights.

I'd add that it might depend on where your final destination is. For example between ATL and EWR (Newark) there are flights practacally every hour, so missing a connection isn't as painfull as connecting to a smaller airport with fewer flights.

Unfortunately, I am connecting with the only flight back to Montreal that day so I wiil be going for the 3 hours in Atlanta -if we arrive on time I do not mind but if we are late than the extra time will be on our side :D

Since you will be waiting in airports either way, I would definitely take the earlier flight. There are more things "to do" in the Atlanta airport as opposed to San Juan.

If you are a foodie, at Atlanta there is a restaurant in the International Terminal (E) that is really good. It is pricey though.

Well I tried to change my flight to the earler flight leaving from San Juan however I was going to be charged $150.00 per ticket. Crap. I spoke to Delta (4 different reps on an 1 hour call). When I booked via internet at the Trip Summary stage, it stated this ticket is refundable...well the catch is that the email confirmation I received after having purchased stated non refundable. Needless to say, read the confirmation. Refundable tickets allow you to make changes withour incurring a change fee. I explained to Delta that if I were to book the tickets today for the same itineriary I still see at the Trip Summary stage this ticket is refundable. Unfortunately, they kept referring me to someone else who could maybe so something...never felt in the 4 conversations I had did someone take my issue seriously. I gave up :( as I felt that I would only be transferred a 5th rep. I hope the flight from San Juan to Atlanta is not late and I do not miss my flight to Montreal...and that my luggage arrives with me in Montreal.

Thanks for all the great advice and I will put it to good use the next time I booked non refundable tickets :)

My hubby flies out of ATL all the time as we live here! For your next cruise, do what my DH does - book a longer layover time and then if it looks like you can make the earlier flight, try to fly standby. I'm not positive, but I don't think that Delta charges any extra for this (that may be because DH is Platinum Sky Miles).

Just something to keep in the back of your mind for next time.

Archived