X's Millie Class vs RCI's Radiance Class

cruise pup

I'd love to hear the thoughts of those of you who have been on at least one of each of these classes' ships.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

We have yet to sail Radiance or Voyager class on RCI, but that is what we are "looking" at for our next cruise. You will note our cruise experience from the list below. I have enjoyed every cruise we were on some more than others but all ships have good and no so good features. The entertainment venue on RCI ships has always been great. We have never had a service issue nor "bad food". On Celebrity you will not have announcements telling you about an announcement which you may have on RCI. Celebrity offers white glove service for the blue collar budget including champagne or OJ upon embarkation, cold towels out by the pool, a Sommalier if you enjoy wines and good service, and many more "little" things that by now we may take for granted. If you are interested in a Millie class sailing, I would highly recommend it. You will not find a party atmosphere or swinging singles on these ships as a rule. Families can have a wonderful time, but unless it is school break or Summer, there probably won't be more than 100 kids (Fun Factory is good for them too.)

If you have any questions, please feel free to email: nanatravel@comcast.net.

Bon voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04

Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003

Carnival Legend 4/11/2003

Carnival Pride 2/23/2002

Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001

Grand Princess 3/2001

Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000

Sea Princess 2/22/1999

Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998

Celebrity Century 3/1997

Celebrity Zenith 11/1996

Legend of the Seas 6/1995

Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

Hey, Pup

How come you don't consider MY favorite ship, the QE2?

Or her new sister, the QM2? I am torn between two itineraries with this one as soon as I get back from Constellation's Baltic cruise in July.

Food and service both are impeccable on the Queen, and soooo much to do at sea!

Just no balconies outside the strqtospheric high rent district.

love

joan

Thanks, but I really need to hear from people who specifically sailed on these 2 classes. Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's not a matter of general cruise line comparisons. If you take a look at my sailing history you willl see that I've been on both lines quite a few times.

Also, I am going on the QM2 next month.

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

Hi!

Have been on both. Prefer Radiance for decor and lay-out. Much more glass to connect with the sea. Millie spaces such as "Notes" and the "Conservatory" are under used and a waste. Overall cruise experience is superior on Celebrity.

John L.

Pup:

We've done Radiance once (Panama Canal 2002) and fixin' to do Connie for the second time (Two Transatlantics). The best way I know to sum it up is like saying "We went to different high schools together". I liked both ships, although there were subtle difference that only the most picky would be concerned with.. Had a balcony on the stern on both ships. I believe the Radiance had a few more square feet in the Cat D, compared to the 1B on Connie but, not enough to make a difference. The decor on Radiance, although not Carnival, is a little more "upbeat", with alot of wood paneled walls in the public areas. Connie's decor was more subdued but elegant. The theaters were identical and in the same location on each ship. Champaign bars on both but, no specific Martini Bar on Radiance. I found the Radiance to be a beautiful ship while I paid more attention to the level of service offered on Connie. In the end, I like them both and did not find enough difference between the experiences to favor one totally over the other. In both cases we were on 14 day cruises. Physically and aestetically (sp??) they are much more alike than different. If I had to pick one purely for "beauty" it would be Radiance..if I had to pick one purely for service, environment and food..no doubt it would be Connie.

Just talked to some friends we met on the Connie Transatlantic, last April. They just got back from a Carribean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas (sister to Radiance) and they mentioned the difference in service levels and food quality. I guess I'm just a "cruie gourmond" 'cause I like 'em all.....even the Carnival repo cruises.

So, I guess I probably just blew my credibility with my line about Carnival but, it is the way I feel. There are lots of websites, particularly those of each cruisline that will show you the various spaces and their decor. So, if there is anything specific you'd like to know, just ask.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Rick & Sue

GACRUZRS

NCL Sunward II - 2/85

NCL Starward - 7/89

NCL Norway - 6/92

NCL Seaward - 7/93

Sovereign of the Seas - 5/94

Sovereign of the Seas - 8/94

Sovereign of the Seas - 4/95

NCL Norway - 4/96

NCL Seaward - 6/97

Carnival Destiny - 5/98

Grandeur of the Seas - 9/98

Rhapsody of the Seas (Hawaii)- 9/99

NCL Norway - 9/00

NCL Norway - 6/01

Radiance of the Seas (Panama Canal)- 4/02

Constellation (TransAtlantic)- 4/03

Carnival Spirit (Hawaii) 9/03

Constellation (TransAtlantic) 4/04

cruise pup,

Rick nailed it. The ships are very similar. If you wandered around and wondered "how does this look?", I think the Radiance would win easily. It's got a lot more "eye appeal". On that same wandering and wondering trip, if the question is "how does this feel?", the M-class would win. It's ambiance is nicer. Some might use the term elegant, but I'm not sure it's quite there. It does strive for a classier look and I think it makes it. "Upscale" might be a good description.

The Radiance is geared to a little more physical activity. Rock climbing wall and miniature golf come to mind. That doesn't mean the M-class is completely sedate. There is a good gym and spa on board, for instance.

We've been on the Radiance twice and the Constellation once and all were wonderful, each for a different reason. In all honesty, the ships themselves were not really a factor. I can't even say that the service is a lot different. Celebrity does seem to try to be a little more "formal" in the best and friendliest way. For instance they make a big deal about no announcements ship-wide and they do rush to carry trays in the buffet areas for you. Oh yeah, there's that butler thing - never tried that. Maybe all that's a good thing. Give me a good foundation and I'll take care of the rest with people, itineraries of just on my own.

If one ship of each had the same itinierary on the same date at the same price, I'd have to toss a coin. They're that similar.

This probably didn't help a bit, but in my opinion, that's the way it is. Some people will come on here and tell you one is so far superior to the other that you can't make a comparison. And in their opinion, that's the way it is. I'd like to think we'll all agree that you can't go wrong on either one.

Bob

Been on the Radiance and the Connie too. Would not disagree vehemently with either set of observations - but my conclusions are a bit different- only did 7 nights on Connie and twice that on the Radiance (with four sea days).

I think that many of the visuals on the Radiance are better- especially the art. Its the first time I actually went on decks to just see what was in the hallways ! The art on the Connie runs from terrible to weird. The inside spaces are more dramatic on the Radiance, but coming from NY it reminded me of the lobby in the times square marriot with the multi levels. It was more dramatic but to my mind not better. I did not get a wow factor embarking on the connie but its spaces grew on me everyday. In the evening she really sparkles. And the DR on the Connie is just lovely. The best of any ship I have yet to be on. There are spaces between the tables, wonderful views around the room and its not too loud. On the Radiance they are so tightly jammed in places that one can barely move..

I preferred the pool area a lot on the Connie. More comfy chairs. I like that the grill is conveniently located and that there is ice cream all afternoon. The Windjammer is not even close to the seaview. The Connie's seaview is lovely, with big window nooks that jut out from the superstructure affording many people great views from a variety of tables. We never had trouble getting a table while it was an ongoing problem on the Radiance.

The aquaspa cafe on Connie was a real draw for me - a nice variety of cold plated choices from breakfast to late

afternoon.

Both are fine for families or couples. My kids loved the Connie. TV programming is equally poor on both.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

I have done Millie, and as far as Celebrity goes, I will stick to the smaller ships. Loved the Galaxy.

Have yet to do a radiance class, but In research, I feel I would love it.

Lets Go!

Royal's Viking Seranade 1/94

Carnival, Holiday 12/95

Carnival, Jubilee 12/96

Royal's, Song of America 11/98

Celebrity Galaxy 9/99

Royal's, Viking Seranade 6/00

Celebrity, Millennium 12/00

Royal's Vision 2/02

Royal's Vision 12/02

Royal's Monarch 6/03

Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04 !!

Thanks a lot for sharing your views. What's important is that no one used words like awful, horrible or never again for either, so I guess I'll decide by price.

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

As long as you like larger ships, I think either is fine- may see a few more kids on radiance but that will depend on the time of the year and itinerary. Basically, they try hard to steer the familes to RCI- I was comparing for this summer in Europe and the reservations agent was trying to tell me that RCI would be better suited than X for us...

If you liked the Grand, I think you will like either of these.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Grand Princess Med 2000

I think the big differences are the role of RCI's Centrum as a buzz of activity and crossroads vs. Millie's Foyer, a 3 deck area that locates the Cova cafe as the only real public area for lounging and music.

The problem I continue to have with the Millie class is the lack of lounges. Radiance has more and intimate ones, it was basis of the hull and it simply works better than the Millie in terms of spaces utilized. I don't look for beauty in ships, I look for level of appointments and connections to lifestyle. Millie is the upper level ship in terms of having more with a moderately upscale environment favoring clean lines and period interiors; Radiance is more splasy, somewhat glimmery type of environment, and for me feels like scaled Hyatt type contemporary hotels. I'd say deluxe mainstream.

What I'm most concerened about is enjoyment factor and decor doesn't play as much of a role for me, especially since I haven't been on an ugly RCI or X ship (well Majesty was no Eden but it wasn't an eyesore).

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

We sailed on the Radiance of the Seas with our family on the last New Year’s holiday cruise - western Caribbean. And my wife and I just got back from the Celebrity Summit 10 day South Caribbean cruise.

It might all come down to personal preferences but we really enjoyed the Summit much more than the Radiance. In some ways the Radiance might be a prettier ship, but the Summit is just fine in the looks department and we felt the service, food quality and selection, layout and entertainment was much better than the Radiance in many ways.

For example we enjoy lounge music much more than the stage show entertainment in the evenings and the Summit had four great bands or musicians playing all night in different lounges: a “mature†jazzy dance band playing the Rendevous lounge, a pianist in Michael’s Club (Frank Sinatra kind of stuff) a GREAT party band Voltz playing on deck in the afternoons and in the Revelations lounge at night, and a rock guitarist playing on the aft lido deck each afternoon and evening. The Radiance had a party band that occasionally played the main lounge (not every night) and a so-so piano player. Several lounges were close together precluding separate entertainment in them.

We really found the food on Summit to be a cut above RCCL, especially the seafood which was great every night.

There were lots of differences as well. I’ve written a Summit review which should be up on this site shortly, and I have pictures of both trips at http://home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/

We have sailed both the Radiance of the Seas and the Constellation.

I personally prefer the more understated elegance of the Constellation. Especially the stunning San Marco Restraurant.

It seemed that the layout of the Radiance promoted lines and a crowded feel. May be just because it was full beyond standard capacity, I don't know. I never felt this on the Constellation.

As far as service and food - Constellation wins hands down! No question about it in my mind. Of course the staff to passenger ratio is much higher on Celebrity.

Actual stats:

Radiance 2100 passengers in 90,090 tons with 859 crew.

Constellation 1950 passenger in 91,000 tons with 999 crew.

Joe

Enjoyment factor really comes down to the individual ! We can assess the physical attributes of each ship and some of the differing aspects but every cruise is different and has its own flavor. Ones dining room waiter and companions can have a real difference in ones enjoyment of the week and these are factors that are not ones we can evaluate.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Grand Princess Med 2000

Cruise Pup

We've sailed on the Brilliance, and on the Millie, Constellation (twice), and the Summit (with another Summit cruise booked). We have more than 10 sailings on RCI, and 6 on Celebrity. Both the Brilliance and the M class ships are beautiful and spacious. I find the Celebrity ships to be a little more elegant and traditional, while the RCI ships are a bit more contemporary and glamorous. The food and service are better on Celebrity, and RCI has a great pool area, activities, and a fabulous food court. RCI has a higher energy and activity level, while Celebrity is more laid back. The differences between these two classes of ships are really a matter of personal style, because both deliver a winning product. I would select a cruise based on itinerary, price and sail dates. You will have a great time on either line. We always do!

Thanks for all the info on this subject! I have been wondering the same thing as I have been a huge fan of the M-Class Celebrity ships and will be sailing on RCI's Serenade of the Seas for the first time this May. I'm already going with the feeling that Celebrity's ship have better food and service but the Radiance-class ships on RCI are more "upbeat" and visually spectacular. That's the fun of cruising, there's several different "flavors"!

Seagams, you hit the nail right on the head. It is a matter of itinerary, price and sail date that is the reason I went with RCI. If I were just picking a ship I would go with Celebrity but I had to take your three factors into consideration and everything points to RCI. I just didn't want to be miserable. Thanks for contributing.

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! I've been on Radiance Class twice and on Millenium Class three times. I would recommend the Millenium Class:

Better, food, MUCH better service & better entertainment.

Especially now that RCI has been going downhill lately! :-(

Archived