Life vests allowed in the pool?

StinkyFeesh

Good morning, I will be on the Pride shortly. My young children wear USGC approved life vests when they are swimming. Will they be allowed to wear these in the pool on the ship?

Thanks

Yes . . . but, if they need them you are going to find the pools too small and rowdy for them to enjoy them. The pools are tiny and for the most part packed with people. Not a lot of room for swimming so much as for getting cool. While not the prefered device and not something that I normally would suggest in this case you might consider water wings.

Yes . . . but, if they need them you are going to find the pools too small and rowdy for them to enjoy them. The pools are tiny and for the most part packed with people. Not a lot of room for swimming so much as for getting cool. While not the prefered device and not something that I normally would suggest in this case you might consider water wings.

Thanks. Swimming around is not as important to them as staying above the water.

From their website.....

Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life-preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

As small and shallow as the pools are, the kids can probably stand up in them and won't need flotation. Otherwise, you can stand up and help them as they swim around. That should give them confidence.

I've never seen anyone on a cruise pool wearing a life vest. There are lifeguards stationed there the entire time the pool is open.

As small and shallow as the pools are, the kids can probably stand up in them and won't need flotation. Otherwise, you can stand up and help them as they swim around. That should give them confidence.

I've never seen anyone on a cruise pool wearing a life vest. There are lifeguards stationed there the entire time the pool is open.

I have never seen lifeguards on Carnival ships........

Me either, in fact I believe there is signage specifically saying that there are NO lifeguards and you are swimming at your own risk. Many of the pools, especially the ones for the kids, have a splash area around the edges that the water is only a few inches deep. The childrens pool if your ship has one is only around 16" deep.

Really? not doubting you but I have not seen a lifeguard on a cruise since 1999

We were on the Freedom last week, and I specifically noticed signs by the pools "No Lifeguard on Duty - Swim at your own Risk", or some slight variation.

What they do have is an employee at the water slides, at the top, telling people when it is safe for the next person to start down the slide.

Kathy

From their website.....

Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests' date=' rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life-preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

So answer the question. Since the life jackets that the OP is talking about are used as life preservers they may be used.

Well, pool boys then. There is always one at the top of the water slide, when it is open. And they have all those people carrying drinks, so maybe they have some lifeguard training... let's hope so.

Sorry about my choice of words.

Technically I don't believe that flotation devices, floats and such are allowed, but you'd probably get by unless someone complains. I'd be more concerned about the inevitable ridicule, cruel remarks from other kids, in the relatively shallow pools. ken

How old are your kids? I would recommend some inexpensive water wings - IMO life preservers are too bulky for use in a small, crowded pool. Water wings will also help your kids in learning to swim, whereas the life preservers prohibit movement too much to aid in learning to swim on one's own.

My chid was a horrible swimmer for years even after years and years of swim lessons. I use to take a kids aqua jogger with us on all vacations. I never had to worry about her in the pools and she had a blast in the water.

Don't forget that your kids (you don't say how old they are) need to be potty trained to be in the main pools.

Oh man! I was hoping this would help keep the pool all to ourselves. ;)

Technically I don't believe that flotation devices, floats and such are allowed, but you'd probably get by unless someone complains. I'd be more concerned about the inevitable ridicule, cruel remarks from other kids, in the relatively shallow pools. ken

It's already been determined that life preservers being used in that capacity are allowed. As far as inevitable ridicule goes? LOL you gotta be kidding. First, if I didn't know how to swim and I was in over my head I would certainly wear something to help me stay above the line where life continues. Shoot, often enough when doing something at a venue over water I'm required to wear one anyway despite my capabilities. I don't ever fear being made fun of nor could I imagine a situation where it would even come into play. Second, my kids who can't swim yet and want to stick around to see what Santa brings this Christmas, wearing a life jacket? or the other kids actually making fun of someone for wearing a life preserver of all things....who do you think has some deep rooted issues that will require serious attention sooner or later. As if those same kids would refuse to wear their life vest should the ship go down simply so they don't get made fun of. That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.

How old are your kids? I would recommend some inexpensive water wings - IMO life preservers are too bulky for use in a small, crowded pool. Water wings will also help your kids in learning to swim, whereas the life preservers prohibit movement too much to aid in learning to swim on one's own.

Thanks, but as has been stated a few times, water wings are not allowed. Life jackets are. Not to mention a life jacket which forms to the body takes up much less real estate in the water than wings forcing a childs arms out at length in an impression of Ralphies little brother in a snow suit in A Christmas Story. Either way, the goal here was just to allow the kids to enjoy being in the pool with mom and dad without being stuck to the intake screen on a drain. I wasn't really looking at it as an opportunity to conduct the worlds most expensive swim lesson. We can have those at home.

Kids should never wear a life vest or floatation device in a pool or at the beach. If they cannot swim well enough on their own, then they must be accompanied by a responsible adult within arms reach at all times. If they can swim well, then they don't need a life jacket in the pool.

Get your kids into a swim class NOW. Too many children drown each year, because their parents do not teach them to swim. Check with your local Red Cross or municipal park department for places you can get swim lessons.

If you let your kids use life jackets as a crutch, they will not learn to be independent, responsible swimmers. Get them the proper training. It's very important.

So answer the question. Since the life jackets that the OP is talking about are used as life preservers they may be used.

Exactly.

OP, I just got off a cruise on the Imagination and we did notice at least one little kid wearing a fairly compact life vest in the kids' pool. I don't think you will have a problem.

Archived