Costa v NCL

Derekweb

I have cruised Costa Fortuna the past two winters out of Ft. Lauderdale. I was very pleased by the service and puzzled by all the complaints on this board.

Having just completed an NCL Dawn New York to Bermuda cruise. I would like to contrast the two.

Overall, in the same ballpark. Some little differences were:

1-Costa meals take a longer time to complete. (Having been in Europe and South America, this is a cultural practice.)

2-NCL thermostat in the state room actually functioned. Did not freeze all night.

3-NCL entertainment more geared to Americans.

4-Costa room steward replaced towels each time I left the room. NCL room steward missed two daily newspaper deliveries and was not as attentive. Fresh towels were not easily forthcoming on NCL.

5-Costa dance floors better for dancing, NCL dance floors very sticky.

So, in the end, these are all minor points.

The cruise is what you make of it!!!!

Please check out my review from this March: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=53057

Our other ocean cruises have been on NCL (one time in a Penthouse Suite), so our comparisons were based on that.

If we could combine our room on the Fortuna with the food and entertainment on NCL, it would be wonderful.

Having recently read the book "Cruise Confidential" I can now understand more of the crew being so "active" in their efforts to get to town at Key West. I can also appreciate what goes on with the dining rooms.

• 3 weeks later...

A solid NCL lover here who is considering Costa due to an affinity group to which I have an affinity being onboard a fall cruise. Not sure I can deal with set meal times again, how pricy is the ala carte dining?

I have cruised with both cruise lines and like them both but we prefer Costa mainly for the dancing and the music. Also for the poolside entertainment; they have a comittee that gets people involved with all sorts of games and dancing. As far as food is concerned Costa portions are rather smaller but they do encourage a daily pasta dish be included at dinner. Costa has only one paying restaurant and that is a Costa club name depending on the ship but not all ships have this restaurant; the smaller ship do not. Price is $23 per person (Subject to change.Gratuities not included.) NLC has many paying restaurant choices as you probably know.

Leyla.

Thanks for the info - when I heard ala carte, I thought the pricing was for each dish. Sounds like it is about the same price as Cagney's Steakhouse on NCL...are the specialty restaurants on Costa of similar quality?

Thanks for the info - when I heard ala carte, I thought the pricing was for each dish. Sounds like it is about the same price as Cagney's Steakhouse on NCL...are the specialty restaurants on Costa of similar quality?

On the Fortuna it is not set price. It is ala carte (different prices for different items).

Some of the items (Wagu Ribeye for one) are easily the equivalent of Cagney's steaks. Costs can run from under $20 to as much as you want. We (and our table-mates) thought the price was worth it for excellent food and service, especially since the base price on the cruise was so cheap.

Archived