Need Comparison Juneau Rests. info Twisted Fish Vs. Timberline Bar & Grill Please

Welred

Hello,

haven't seen any recent threads on this. Will be in Juneau 2nd week of Sept. and I wondering if anyone has been to both the Timberline Bar & Grill on Mt. Roberts and the Twisted Fish by the Docks.

If so please give me your opinion on which was better.

I am only in port the one day and want to have a great lunch. Love seafood and good beer, views are good but secondary to food. Can tolerate less than ideal service if food is worth it:).

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone can give me. CC has been such a help already, with getting ready for my first Alaska cruise.

i would do a net search for each resturant and compare the two. im sure the menu's and prices will help you decide which one you want to try. of course you can always go to the closest one, take a deep breath, smell how good it is and walk in the door :D. have a great meal.

We've been to the Twisted Fish several times. Tried to eat at the Timberline 3 years ago, but gave up and left when all the servers ignored us - it doesn't get particularly good reviews ("great view, mediocre food" sort of thing) but thought we'd give it a try anyway.

We've been to the Twisted Fish several times. Tried to eat at the Timberline 3 years ago, but gave up and left when all the servers ignored us - it doesn't get particularly good reviews ("great view, mediocre food" sort of thing) but thought we'd give it a try anyway.

Yukon,

thanks so much for the info. saw a bunch of conflicting reviews pro and con on the Timberline and the Twisted Fish. So figured I would throw the question out to the "Pros" here on CC.

We will probably go with the Twisted Fish. Although might go down and dirty with the Tracy's Crab Shack.

Thanks again

Geri

We just returned from Juneau where we ate at Tracy's Crab Shack. Not a restaurant. Just a canopy with tables. BUT . . . what awesome crab and crab cakes!!

Marie,

good food is good food, canopy or otherwise, thanks for the tip:D.

Geri

The Twisted Fish has much better food and service and view. I'm not sure why they built a restaurant up on top of a mountain, and then gave only a narrow, filtered view to a few tables, but most of the tables are staring at thick trees and usually fog.

The Twisted Fish no longer has deep fried halibut, the interior is that type that amplifies the sound so that your head pounds, but it's way, way better overall.

Oh, and doesn't come with a $28 cover charge.

But go to Tracy's.

We went to Timberline last week. They have the worst service!! Our server stood at the bar talking to another server...and ignored us completely. I saw one gentleman walk up to the bar with glasses to get refilled. They acted like it was no big deal. He then went back to his table and took more to refill from his table. I could tell that he was NOT happy. I would not recommend eating there.

We went to the Twisted Fish but didn't eat. But we said at the bar and had a great time with the staff as it was shift change. We went in for "one or two" and ended up staying for a few hours.

Not that that helps you with the quality of the food but it says something about the staff so I would recommend there. :cool:

I'll second the vote for the Crab Shack .. we cheated and just had a "king crab cocktail" .. . aka they took it out of the shells for us ..but a huge bucket of king crab was $47 . .and the crab is amazing .. ..we loved our lunch there ... (hahaha. . enough to pay for lunch instead of reboarding the ship to eat for free)

I really appreciate all the feedback. I have for sure taken Timberline out of the line up.

And will just have to let the spirit move me when we get into Juneau to decide on the Twisted Fish vs Tracy's.

I drank there and took back to the ship a big fresh piece of salmon with salad. i am lookign forward to going back. many also love The Hanger near by. I never even walked by it.

reemember to try the beer in juneau as it was made in town.

I know you can't bring food off the ship but what is the official policy regarding bringing a take out meal back on the ship?

Since I may grab a meal in town while DH is on an extended excursion I might prefer to eat it in my cabin rather than dine alone in a restaurant.

We just returned from our trip and before we went, I knew we wanted to go to Tracy's. For anyone reading this thread wondering where the crab shack is . . . We were on the Statendam and docked at the Alaska Steam Boat Pier. I did not know where that was until we got there. That pier is right next to the parking garage downtown, just down the street from the Red Dog Saloon. The crab shack was on the side of the parking garage (the side towards the major downtown area). There is a little park in the area on the other side of the parking garage.

We ate at Hangar on the Wharf instead of Twisted Fish because I had read recent poor reviews on Twisted Fish even though they are owned by the same company.

We really enjoyed the Wharf. It's right on the water so you can watch seaplanes land and take off as you eat, and the food was GREAT. As was the service. It looked nothing like I expected (VERY casual) but it was some of the best food I had in Alaska.

We ate at Twisted Fish in May/08. It was loud, poor service and very ordinary food. I didn't give it another try this year :) so can't say whether it has improved, though it sounds like it has. Went to Tracy's this year.

Now it's horrible service, but my food was great.

• 1 year later...

Archived