Pier 91 in Seattle

puddytat

For someone who isn't familiar with Seattle traffic, the Mercer left exit and merges through South Lake Union are problematic. Additionally, I-5 from the West Seattle Bridge exit to the Mercer exit would be the single most likely place to find stopped traffic or an inability to change lanes in time for an exit. I would wager that almost *any* cab from the airport to Pier 91 would take the 518-to-509 route.

I've lived in the neighborhood over Pier 91 and given directions to my place enough that I know what works best on Friday and Saturday mid-day. After I moved, I had daily commutes from the West Sound to the adjacent neighborhood (Fisherman's Terminal). If one was coming from the north, the published directions are the easiest, but the 518-509-to-Viaduct route is less prone to totally stopped traffic, it's more scenic, and it gives the best cues as to where you need to go next (ie, you're in visual range of the ship much of the trip, and you have a hard physical boundary (the water) to guide you.

As for staying in Tukwila, it's a rare Tukwila hotel that charges for parking, unlike anything downtown, South Lake Union or the airport. Rates are usually extremely attractive on Hotwire/Priceline for the zone, as well. I frequently stay at the major-brand properties in Tukwila in the event of very early or very late flights, and they're all perfectly fine and in safe neighborhoods.

All of the above sounds reasonable to me.......And, you're correct, I am not being charged for hotel parking and the rate was quite reasonable, in Tukwila. I was assured that the area would be fine for pre-cruise but that it was stricktly an industrial area not really good for sight-seeing.

Since we're just there for the one night and, I'm not looking for sights to see......It's more likely we'll be desperate for a bed to rest our weary "road-hard" bodies on. :o

What ever works for you! Just trying to help also.

Honestly, I haven't done it yet.....I have no idea of the area/traffic/Pier 91 or for that matter "what works!"

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I'll certainly write back, after our trip, and let everyone know what I think is the best way to approach Pier 91.

I hope this won't be my last trip to Alaska, from Seattle. And, since DH won't fly.....it looks like driving is my best option.

I hope this won't be my last trip to Alaska, from Seattle. And, since DH won't fly.....it looks like driving is my best option.

From California, honestly, consider Amtrak's Coast Starlight service; it's notoriously delay-prone, but my understanding is they're pretty great with service animals, and it is, by far, the nicest route in the system - they get the newest long-distance equipment, there are movies and wine tastings en-route, First Class has a lovely Parlor car, etc. The only downside is that I would recommend a day in Seattle to allow for any schedule disasters (I've been up to 22 hours late before).

We are booked with Seattle Express. Wonder if Shuttle Express is something different. Do you have contact info? What was your official disembark time and when did you actually get off and have access to your luggage?

Did you call them with your disembark time? I don't think Seattle Express has a check in desk. Maybe we will switch to what you took. Sounds like it worked really well.

Sorry, did not notice Seattle Express... Found Shuttle Express on the web (also SEA airport had a link to it on their website). We made reservations for 10:00am - that was the earliest time available but we got off the ship at 9:00am and did not have any problem getting on the next shuttle available. The check-in person just checked their list for my name.

Our official disembarkation time was 8:30 (Orange 1) but we did not get off until 9:00am (our choice). Had no problem finding our luggagage as they were the only ones left in the Orange 1 section. We were at the Shuttle Express check-in desk at 9:15 and on the shuttle at 9:30. We paid the driver cash at the airport.

Allentownboy,

You guys had better be burning daylight when the ship docks (one of the first ones off) to make a 11:30am flight out of Sea-Tac. I think I would take a cab or a limo if I had an early flight. My DW and I went to Seattle today to call on a customer, what a hell of a drive. I dread going to Seattle. I don't think anyone works there, they just drive around all day. I think the Mayor of Seattle must have gotten a new treasure map, they seem to be digging up everything. Only 23 days till we leave.

Allentownboy,

You guys had better be burning daylight when the ship docks (one of the first ones off) to make a 11:30am flight out of Sea-Tac. I think I would take a cab or a limo if I had an early flight. My DW and I went to Seattle today to call on a customer, what a hell of a drive. I dread going to Seattle. I don't think anyone works there, they just drive around all day. I think the Mayor of Seattle must have gotten a new treasure map, they seem to be digging up everything. Only 23 days till we leave.

ROTFLMAO. Mayor Mc Cheese and a treasure map......now there is a picture....:D

From California, honestly, consider Amtrak's Coast Starlight service; it's notoriously delay-prone, but my understanding is they're pretty great with service animals, and it is, by far, the nicest route in the system - they get the newest long-distance equipment, there are movies and wine tastings en-route, First Class has a lovely Parlor car, etc. The only downside is that I would recommend a day in Seattle to allow for any schedule disasters (I've been up to 22 hours late before).

I looked into the train....we love train travel.....however, from L.A. to Seattle....there are transfers that require getting off and on several times.....that would be way too stressful for my DH and, with a Service Dog in tow, physically and logistically difficult. And, although AmTrak and Metrolink are very accommodating to Service Dogs they are not that great when it comes to long distance travel and the "potty-box" issue [it's still a work in progress]!!!!

Now, if an AmTrak train would leave from L.A. with no transfers required, and have a good system for the potty box. I would definitely look into that.

It does; the Coast Starlight leaves from Union Station and proceeds directly to Seattle King Street Station - look at train number 14 northbound (departs every day at 10:45AM) in their online engine and then train 11 southbound at 9:45AM.

Many times, the computer tries to route you on the "fastest" route which involves Bakersfield and Sacramento or something, but the Coast Starlight remains single-train service.

The rest of the logistics I'm not sure on, but you definitely don't have to change trains between LA and Seattle.

Allentownboy,

Now be nice! Always lots of construction in the summer because of our weather. I live in Seattle. Traffic would be fine if you all from the burbs would quit coming to town at the same time:)

It does; the Coast Starlight leaves from Union Station and proceeds directly to Seattle King Street Station - look at train number 14 northbound (departs every day at 10:45AM) in their online engine and then train 11 southbound at 9:45AM.

Many times, the computer tries to route you on the "fastest" route which involves Bakersfield and Sacramento or something, but the Coast Starlight remains single-train service.

The rest of the logistics I'm not sure on, but you definitely don't have to change trains between LA and Seattle.

Vibe: Thanks so much.....I will definitely look into this......we have a gal who has booked train travel for us, in the past, and she consistently warns me that there is an "off/on" portion in Sacramento and we have always been hesitant to go forward with train travel up north because of this.......It may be time to look into this myself.

I also think that train travel is not as cheap as we all think it is. We would definitely need first class and again, I will have to look into the "potty box' situation.

Travel for us can be a bit involved but, I can't let that stop me!!!!

Again, you've been a great resource of information. Thanks so much!!!!!!

Booking it as a single train number eliminates that Sacramento issue; it adds time, so the computer tries to put "through" passengers on the shortcut Central Valley approach rather than the leisurely coastal route..

The railfare component is fairly cheap - even last-minute, SEA-LAX runs about $100 in coach. You are correct that 1st Class accomodations run up the bill rapidly, but know that the accommodation surcharges apply for two people and include the meals onboard. I've used the trip to edit manuscripts without interruption on a few occasions, and it's been just delightful.

Making this cruise-related, I'm recalling in the past that some line had a partnership with Amtrak for just this sort of thing....

Roz,

It has been several years ago, but I have taken Amtrac from Santa Barbara to Eugene, Or. and reverse. It is a long day. If memeory serves me it is around 24 hours without delays. One time I did it coach, the next time I got a sleeping berth. If you do do it DON'T GO COACH.:eek::D Amtrac is also known for being delayed. They do not own the tracks on the west coast and therfore must defer to the freight trains, so some times you can sit for as much as an hour. Don't get me wrong I love traveling by train. (I hate flying) I would just never attempt to do as long a trip in coach again. And I would always build a day cushion into my schedule.

Booking it as a single train number eliminates that Sacramento issue; it adds time, so the computer tries to put "through" passengers on the shortcut Central Valley approach rather than the leisurely coastal route..

The railfare component is fairly cheap - even last-minute, SEA-LAX runs about $100 in coach. You are correct that 1st Class accomodations run up the bill rapidly, but know that the accommodation surcharges apply for two people and include the meals onboard. I've used the trip to edit manuscripts without interruption on a few occasions, and it's been just delightful.

Making this cruise-related, I'm recalling in the past that some line had a partnership with Amtrak for just this sort of thing....

Very interesting, I will look into it!

Roz,

It has been several years ago, but I have taken Amtrac from Santa Barbara to Eugene, Or. and reverse. It is a long day. If memeory serves me it is around 24 hours without delays. One time I did it coach, the next time I got a sleeping berth. If you do do it DON'T GO COACH.:eek::D Amtrac is also known for being delayed. They do not own the tracks on the west coast and therfore must defer to the freight trains, so some times you can sit for as much as an hour. Don't get me wrong I love traveling by train. (I hate flying) I would just never attempt to do as long a trip in coach again. And I would always build a day cushion into my schedule.

I had no idea I could travel all the way to Eugene, Oregon by train. My children live there and that would be fun to do.

I just have to look into the comfort zone for my Service Dog, since I will go NO WHERE without her!

I would definitely travel first class.....I'll check and see what they provide for my SD or maybe I would be allowed to get off the train at their various stops to let my dog go potty and then re-board.

This is very exciting, since we've traveled by train, down to San Diego and up to Santa Barbara but, not farther than that and, we really enjoyed it.

After the 4th, I will check into train travel; how much it costs? Will I need to transfer anywhere [i won't go if I need to]? And, how do they handle Service Dog?

Thanks for opening-up another avenue of travel.

Now be nice! Always lots of construction in the summer because of our weather. I live in Seattle. Traffic would be fine if you all from the burbs would quit coming to town at the same time:)

LOL!! In the Seattle area we have 5 seasons, #5 being the construction season! I grew up in Seattle, now live in the "burbs",we go into the city about twice a month and if you pick the right times its really not that bad, although I-5 is ALWAYS bad!!

Just found out our September cruise on Celebrity Infinity will go out of pier 91, not 66 (there is another ship there:(), so this is a very informative thread for me. I'm leaning toward using a towncar or limo service, just to avoid all the hassle.

Thanks for all the info I found here!

Melody:D

Amtrak has handicapped rooms. Be sure to ask about them. They are larger and I believe they have a potty in there. Also, you can arrange to have your meals in your room if you have difficulty getting to the dining room.

Amtrak has handicapped rooms. Be sure to ask about them. They are larger and I believe they have a potty in there. Also, you can arrange to have your meals in your room if you have difficulty getting to the dining room.

This is great....I wouldn't of thought of asking.....Thank you!

I love Cruise Critic.....there is so much we learn from each other!

I had no idea I could travel all the way to Eugene, Oregon by train. My children live there and that would be fun to do.

I just have to look into the comfort zone for my Service Dog, since I will go NO WHERE without her!

I would definitely travel first class.....I'll check and see what they provide for my SD or maybe I would be allowed to get off the train at their various stops to let my dog go potty and then re-board.

This is very exciting, since we've traveled by train, down to San Diego and up to Santa Barbara but, not farther than that and, we really enjoyed it.

After the 4th, I will check into train travel; how much it costs? Will I need to transfer anywhere [i won't go if I need to]? And, how do they handle Service Dog?

Thanks for opening-up another avenue of travel.

Roz,

I hope my previous post didn't sound like I don't like taking that trip. I really loved it. When I had a sleeping berth and could enjoy the upgraded travel. It is a beautiful trip you see alot of country you don't see on I-5. It goes from Dunsmuir over to Klamath Falls and I think Gilcrest and then back over the mountains to Eugene. From Gilcrest to Eugene you go through many tunnels. Anyway if you are not pressed for time I would say give it a try sometime.

Roz,

I hope my previous post didn't sound like I don't like taking that trip. I really loved it. When I had a sleeping berth and could enjoy the upgraded travel. It is a beautiful trip you see alot of country you don't see on I-5. It goes from Dunsmuir over to Klamath Falls and I think Gilcrest and then back over the mountains to Eugene. From Gilcrest to Eugene you go through many tunnels. Anyway if you are not pressed for time I would say give it a try sometime.

What I got from your post was; if I'm going to take the train to Eugene, I should go "first class" and, that "coach" is not as pleasant.

The best part of your post was the idea itself.......I can't wait to do it! I have a lot of vacation days and we love the train......this just opens-up a whole new world for us!!!!!!

Delta used to fly "direct" to Eugene from L.A. but it wasn't cost effective for them.....so now a 2 hour flight becomes a 5 hour or more flight, ridiculous!!!!!

We are a party of four planning on using a limo service. We are coming in the day before and planning on having the service pick us up that morning at the hotel.

What time should we tell them to pick us up? I have read about the crowded downtown and also at the pier but I talked to the limo service and he suggested to pick us up around noon. What do you think would be best?

Thanks

Missygirl

Archived