Oceania Amazon Adventure

OBwanRn

Have cruised twice with this line and found many people on board who have really valued "cruise critics" advice. Especially on excursions in ports that are independant of the cruise line. Leaving in November on the Amazon cruise and would welcome any and all advice on the excursions at the ports of call on this cruise. We like to explore some on our own,without being part of huge group, which ports are good for that? Thanks!

I think were something like 16 ports and we did only 4 ship's tours. However, we had been to many of the Caribbean islands before, so we primarily got off the ship and walked. We even walked into Bridgetown in the Barbadoes, which is about 3 miles from the dock. The tours we did take included the cross-island tour on St. Lucia (well worth it, and reasonably priced for a 6 of y hour tour with lunch), a cithy and country tour in Santarem (which could easily be duplicated by taxi and would be nicer), and the Boi Bumba show in Parintins, which is not a tour but tickets to the extravaganza show, which is a Do Not Miss.

We also did the "Meeting of the Waters" tour in Manuas, which is OK for the blending of the rivers part, but which was exceptional for the motor canoe trip into the back waters of the Rio Negro.

One of the highlights was the stop on Devil's Islands, where there are no tours -- it's all walking around - but which was reallyh memorable.

One of the low spots was the stop at Samana, Domican Republic -- if they are still doing that stop, they should change it.

Have cruised twice with this line and found many people on board who have really valued "cruise critics" advice. Especially on excursions in ports that are independant of the cruise line. Leaving in November on the Amazon cruise and would welcome any and all advice on the excursions at the ports of call on this cruise. We like to explore some on our own,without being part of huge group, which ports are good for that? Thanks!

Have you checked out the roll call for that cruise?

I'm new to this site. What's roll call and how do I get there?Thanks!

Roll Calls are for getting to know your fellow passengers before the cruise and perhaps sharing information about private tours, guides, etc.

In general, look up at the hierarchical menu above, in the Cruise Critic logo box. At the beginning of the list, just under "Home", is a link to "Cruise Critic Message Boards". Click on this link, then scroll down to a section called "Roll Calls". There, you will see links to various cruise lines. Click on "Oceania Roll Calls". You will then be presented with 3 choices, Nautica, Insignia or Regatta. Regatta is the ship that travels up the Amazon, so click on that link.

Next, is a bewildering and somewhat chaotic list of threads that deal with individual cruises. Search diligently for the one that describes your cruise, and click on it. Browse through the messages and see what the typical person has posted to get an idea of the "flavor" (different cruises seem to tak on a culture of their own). Post a message introducing yourself, and provide a little information of interest to others on the same cruise -- usually your first name and the name of your companion passenger, if any, where you are from, what cabin number you have booked, what you hope to see and do, etc.

Or, ignore all that and simply click here for the roll call for the November 28, 2009 Amazon cruise.

There are already 3 pages to the roll call. Lots of good info, especially on vaccincations and visas.

Also some on tours.

We will be on the trip unless something happens that causes us to use the trip insurance.

Hope to hear from you on the roll call.

MSEm

msem2 at cableone dot net

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, We did this fantastic trip in 2007. You will love it. The islands are very varied. The smaller ones like Tortola you just walk around and enjoy. For the larger ones you should join a small group, usually offering on the Roll Call on cruise critic, and take a taxi van. The taxis are virtually all 10 seaters and are very comfy for 8 people. The charges were about $20pp for a days touring which makes them very good value.

In the Amazon towns of Santerem & Boca Del Valeria (a great experience, enhanced if you take some small items like crayons for the kids you will meet) you really have to do the ships thing as there are no options. Manaus is a city you can happily walk around and see but do do the Meeting of the Waters and the backwater trip already mentioned on the thread as this gives you an idea of what the Amazon is like.

Parintins is great. Take a trip around on a bicycle tuk tuk and do go and see the Boi Bumba Festival. You can buy tickets from the ships tour desk.

On the way back we went to Roseau in the Dominican Republic, and we loved it. Took a taxi van here as well. If you feel like swimming The Baths on Virgin Gouda are an absolute must. There is nothing else to do on this Island and it really is the most idyllic place.

Have fun!!!

We had a delightful day in Santarem with Gil of Youramazondotorg. He picked us up at the ship, took us to his boat (docked about 30 minutes from Insignia). We spent the day onboard with a lovely (simple - fish, veggies, fruit) lunch made by one of his staff. We saw the meeting of the rivers, some pink dolphins(?) and the life (animal and human) along one of the tributaries.

There were five of us and the fee for the day was $300. 50% paid in advance. The day was memorable and I particularly appreciated the attention given to my husband who needed considerable assistance.

In Manaus we used Amazonexplorersdotcomdotbr where Katia provided a transfer from the airport to the ship and spent the following day with us showing us Manaus and the environs.

I seem to remember that her company provides the ships tour but I am not positive. Other than the Opera House and the Botanical Gardens there really was not much to see in Manaus. The traffic can be horrendous.

All in all it was a lovely cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

For the children in Boca Del Valeria Stu and I went to the 99 cent store and bought bags of things for the children and lots of lipstick and makeup for the women also we hit garage sales for the 2 months before the trip ..we had the best time giving it all out..I wish I had brought much more..Lots of people ask how we knew to do that and I told them the cruise critic board..thats why this board is so great!!

Jancruz1

We enjoyed Manaus. We took the ship's "Meeting of the Waters" tour, in which the real highlight was boarding small, motorized canoes for a trip in the backwaters of the Rio Negro (Black river). Children in small canoes paddled up holding parrots, snakes, alligators and other wild animals. This is also the trip to see the giant lily pads.

manaus1.jpgmanaus2.jpg

The next day, we walked from the ship to the opera house. It was fascinating to walk amoung the hundreds of street vendors, each in a tiny stall. We were fortunate to arrive at the opera house at the time of a rehearsal and heard a little of the acoustics. Take the English-speaking tour -- well worth it. Walking back to the ship, we saw some street performers. Altogether, a great day.

We enjoyed Manaus. We took the ship's "Meeting of the Waters" tour, in which the real highlight was boarding small, motorized canoes for a trip in the backwaters of the Rio Negro (Black river). Children in small canoes paddled up holding parrots, snakes, alligators and other wild animals. This is also the trip to see the giant lily pads.

manaus1.jpgmanaus2.jpg

The next day, we walked from the ship to the opera house. It was fascinating to walk amoung the hundreds of street vendors, each in a tiny stall. We were fortunate to arrive at the opera house at the time of a rehearsal and heard a little of the acoustics. Take the English-speaking tour -- well worth it. Walking back to the ship, we saw some street performers. Altogether, a great day.

Actually, I should have added without Hon Dorners imput to Stu and I on our Amazon trip it would not have been half as good as we found it..his advice was invaluable!!

Jancruz1

We like to explore some on our own, without being part of huge group, which ports are good for that?

In Manaus, someone in my family made arrangements for all of us to go to the Opera House for a special evening performance. The local artists played on very unusual hand-made instruments, and it was one of the highlights of our cruise. Since you will be there overnight, perhaps you could arrange for a driver and get tickets the day you arrive.

We used taxis in Santarem to tour, and that worked out well.

Actually, I should have added without Hon Dorners imput to Stu and I on our Amazon trip it would not have been half as good as we found it..his advice was invaluable!!

Jancruz1

Aw, shucks. It's a bit embarrassing to see such kind words from Jan, who has done so much more to make my cruises wonderful.

Archived