Can't decide about Nassau - Scubagirrl, help me!

Rochmom

Okay, I've been doing a LOT of reading on this forum, and it's not really helping me make a decision about what to do in Nassau. We're coming in on the Glory, so we only have from 8:00 to 1:30 on a Sunday. There's me (44), DH 45, and DDs 15 and 13.

We're typically pretty cautious people, so given that it's a short day, we thought we would book through Carnival. However, the only inexpensive excursion that interests us is Blackbeard's Cay, and I keep reading horrible reviews from CC and other sources.

So I thought we might try the British Colonial day pass, since it's walking distance, but then I read about the dredging, and am not sure that's a good idea, either.

The other Carnival choices we are "somewhat" interested in are the Glass Bottom Boat tour, and the Historical Highlights tour. Can anyone give us some advice, please?????

OK...let me put on a wig and see if I can help out:D Yes....with the dredging FINALLY happening(and it's about time:rolleyes: ) I wouldn't recommend British Colonial. With the short amount of time why book an excursion at all:confused:You can walk around town, visit the Pirate Museum or jump in a taxi for a very brief 10 minute ride over to visit Atlantis or the free public Cabbage Beach located right next to Atlantis.

I'm not Scubagirrl either. :) How about taking a walk up the Queen's Staircase and then touring the fort? The fort is free or for a few dollars, you can get a guided tour. Tours can be nice to get more background information.

Or you could take a water taxi (or cab) over to Atlantis and see The Digs aquarium. You can see quite a bit of the Atlantis property that way. Just make sure you take plenty of bottled water with you - they charge an arm and leg for bottled water there and there aren't any water fountains.

Nassau is very easy to do on your own so don't feel like you have to book an excursion through the ship.

OK...let me put on a wig and see if I can help out:D Yes....with the dredging FINALLY happening(and it's about time:rolleyes: ) I wouldn't recommend British Colonial.

I'm told Harbour Dredging won't start until after the Bahamian Independence Day Celebration on July 10.. ..

I intend to make the most of my lazy sunny days at British coloinial til the dredging makes it impossible.

I'm told Harbour Dredging won't start until after the Bahamian Independence Day Celebration on July 10.. ..

I intend to make the most of my lazy sunny days at British coloinial til the dredging makes it impossible.

The info that the project in Nassau has begun was posted by the project Mgr of the Labadee Pier project....maybe she was ahead of herself by a few days....but looks and sounds like the equip may be in place finally.....tell us whats up why you get back in Nassau tomorrow.

The info that the project in Nassau has begun was posted by the project Mgr of the Labadee Pier project....maybe she was ahead of herself by a few days....but looks and sounds like the equip may be in place finally.....tell us whats up why you get back in Nassau tomorrow.

Yes, I'll check it out.. I did hear that the equipment is in Nassau.

As soon as I can get my cable turned back on - I'll post an update.

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. Sounds like the BCH is going to be out of the question for early September, but maybe a little walk through some of the historic areas wouldn't be too bad.

I'd welcome any more suggestions if others want to jump in!

we'll be B2B in Nassau on both the 2nd and 4th of August. We only plan on beach hugging and snorkeling in Nassau. Where to do both please. Little money.

Would the BCH be ok on those dates?

I would have to say take a pass on BCH as the Harbor is most likely going to be a murky mess for a while.....dredging is supposed to get started after the July 4th holiday and that will be going on for a few months at the least I would think.

Scuba Girl-please help us out!

The BCH told me that their beach would not be effected by the "work in the harbour" that their beach would be fine, and safe to swim in the water. We wanted to spend the day there(August 22) while visiting with the Carnival Freedom. Are they telling me the truth, or should we look for another plan? They said the dredging would be further up the harbour, and would not effect their beach. Please help since we trust you!We have 2 boys who want to go into the water and not spend the entire day in a pool. Our other option was the Sheraton since the Wyndam will be closed in late August. Help!

Manateelover: we were told the same thing by someone who should know, but we are still concerned about noise and wash in the water on the beach. There may be sediment washed down the bay by the dredging making the water cloudy. We want clear caribbean seas. After much reading on here, we have decided on Breezes and the all inclusive $55. Many people commented on the expense of ordering drinks while at the resorts and how expensive the meals, snacks and drinks (even just sodas) are at the places that don't offer all inclusive. Breezes gives you a buffet and snacks and all your drinks included. looks beautiful and the beach looks better than some. Less sea grass and more white sand. Pools look as good as Sheraton's almost. We will definitely come back on the port thread and tell about our stay.

While no one will know for sure how much the dredging project will effect the harbor....I can tell you that the BCH is literally within yardage measurements of some parts that need to be dredged....please pull up a map on Google or something of the BCH and you will see how it's right in the main harbor where the dredging will be.....anyone telling you that

dredging would be further up the harbour
is simply uninformed of what is being done in the harbor.....I don't see any way how it wouldn't be effected.

BecciBoo,

Thanks for the information. Our one son is only 11 and the other is 15-so from what I have read you need to be atleast 14yrs for Breezes-is this correct? We would surely consider Breezes if we didn't have to worry about the "age" thing. Let us know. Thanks so much.Do they ask for passport for age? Or do you just tell them the ages? He could probably pass for 14 I think....The other looks older than 15!

Bajathree,

Thanks for the confirmation and info-we just want to enjoy our day and make the right plans. We will probably consider the Sheraton-unless Breezes takes kids without checking ages....I think I heard it was 14 yrs and older. Do you know anything about the minimum ages for Breezes. Our boys are 11 and 15. Thanks again.

Bajathree,

Thanks for the confirmation and info-we just want to enjoy our day and make the right plans. We will probably consider the Sheraton-unless Breezes takes kids without checking ages....I think I heard it was 14 yrs and older. Do you know anything about the minimum ages for Breezes. Our boys are 11 and 15. Thanks again.

Sorry can't help you there.....HOWEVER, something you might be interested in....I was just at Pirates Of Nassau last month....I have 2 girls ages 11 ans 14 and they loved it....I would have to imagine that most boys would think it was like the coolest thing in the world, being in the Caribbean and all....you may want to check it out http://pirates-of-nassau.com/home.htm

manateelover,

I am not sure the age cut-off at Breezes but we went there on our last trip and there were alot of very intoxicated adults - drinks flow liberally and I think they push the alcohol because they wont let you touch any of the non-motorized water activities, the carnival trapize, etc if anyone has had a drop to drink. The staff working the boats, trapize, etc were off duty most of the time as there was no one there sober by 11:00am - not a great place for tweens and teens. The pool games were a bit adult as well...

Good Luck!

Archived