Swine flu in Emerald Princess??

Fafos

I've contact with a Greek passenger on Emerald and they don't know something.. all passengers are with excursions right now and the evening the ship departure for next port without problem...

I've been searching and can't find more info. I'd love to find out more, as we board this weekend...

http://www.travelforlife.ru/p122/l1653/index.html

http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2009/06/swine_flu_aboard_helsinki_cruise_liner_835370.html

found these sites for news on H1N1 onboard Emerald Princess.

There doesn't seem to be any sense of panic.

Good luck! We are onboard 14 Aug. WHO anticipates worsening of the problem in the autumn/fall....

I talked to Princess and they are still assessing the situation, but will issue a statement on their webpage as soon as they have one ready : ) It will be under News and Announcements on the Princess homepage.

We board this Saturday as well. Yes, they are still on the boat, quarantined to their cabins (13 are crew, 1 passenger). That is according to the news article. One article mentioned that 16 people had already gotten well --- so I am wondering if that means 30 people in all were affected --- or what. Plus I would think the situation would keep changing for a while, until everyone exposed shows symptoms. They told me they will sanitize the boat before we board. Not real happy about this though....

At least we have the 75% cruise credit through Princess travel insurance should we wish to use it. This will take some thought and watching the situation. Stuff travels so easily around a cruise ship. Does anyone know if they have put in precautions like they do for noro?

I talked to Princess and they are still assessing the situation, but will issue a statement on their webpage as soon as they have one ready : ) It will be under News and Announcements on the Princess homepage.

Their statement will be all positive I am sure about how everything is sanitized etc.:) Don't worry, be happy!

We were on the Ultimate Ship's Tour of the Emerald last week and one of our very interesting stops was the medical center where one of the doctors (there are two on board plus nursing staff) showed us the lab (where they can do cultures) and answered a specific question about the H1N1 flu: the dispensary is equipped with hundreds (somehow 700 stuck in my mind but I can't be sure of that) of doses of Tamiflu. The doctor also noted that expiring doses where being automatically replaced by the manufacturer.

Something I had never considered before - in addition to treating the ill among the 3,000+ passengers on any given day, the medical center/staff function as family doctors for the 1,000+ staff (which certainly makes sense considering that some of the staff are on board for up to 9 months).

There were lots of interesting stops on the Ultimate Ship's Tour and this was close to the best (nothing beats the Bridge)!

Copenhagen is preparing to recieve several cases of the swine flu off emerald on Saturday July 4th. The national serum institute Statens Seruminstitut says the decision whether to quarantine the vessel is up to the medical officer. The article goes on to say that "in one case a cruise ship was quarantined at sea for 14 days with all its passengers on board before it was allowed in". This is beginning to be a little scary. At this point nothing is on the Princess web site under NEWS.

http://politiken.dk/newsinenglish/article745599.ece?service

We sail the 15th???

thanks for more of an update. sorry about the web site but the site on the CC was the one I was trying to post politken.dk I click on and it took me to the right one. Anyway it will be interesting if they are going to let them disembark. As I mnetioned we sail Emerald July 15th????

I think we were on the Emerald Princess together last summer! We met at the CC Meet and Greet!

Like you, we are taking the Baltic cruise but not until July 25. I am anxious to hear from you about boarding tomorrow and the swine flu. Keep us posted:)

After landing in Atlanta yesterday afternoon and checking this thread, the four of us traveling together found the excitement over the swine flu rather interesting. The ship did a good job of making us all aware of the threat by providing notices upon boarding of the steps which should be taken to prevent influenza, but at no time was there any acknowledgement that there were any cases of swine flu on board. In St Petersburg there was a 2-hour delay getting off and finially it was decided that medical professionals would be taking our temp using infrared thermometers as we disembarked, and we found it interesting that the passport control people all were wearing masks so they wouldn't contract whatever we might be bringing into their country. As we came back from touring on day 2 in Russia there was a film crew there asking passengers if they were concerned with being on a ship with a severe outbreak of H1N1.

There was also a film crew from the local TV station asking similar questions in Talin. Now that we were aware of what they were doing we were tempted to look ill and start coughing as we passed them but logic took over and we passed on our practical joke.

This was my 22nd cruise and I was very impressed with both the handling of the outbreak and with the ship itself. This was an amazing 10-day cruise with perfect weather (not a single day of rain) and temps in the 70's and 80's. If you are thinking about the baltic I would highly reccommend the Emerald Princess.

Great update as I wait with every bit of information. Princess of couse tells us everything is fine but if they would just state the facts they would put a lot of peoples minds at rest. Like what happened to the staff and one passenger that came down with it. Were they held in Copenhagen??/ How well did they do on the cleaning and was there any extra clean done? Or even a line to have our question asked and answered. We sail July 15th. Thanks again

Hi:

What is the earliest time are they allowing passengers to get off the Emerald Princess in Copenhagen??

I have to be at the airport at 9:00am.

Do I have enough time??

Hi:

What is the earliest time are they allowing passengers to get off the Emerald Princess in Copenhagen??

I have to be at the airport at 9:00am.

Do I have enough time??

That seems like you're cutting things way too close. Most recommendations are to not book flights much before noon (11:00 at the earliest). I doubt you can get off the ship much before 7:30. Are you saying your flight is at 9:00 or you need to check-in by 9:00? If the latter is the case you should be alright.

Archived